Help me build a Cowboy Fancy!

Re: Help me build a Cowboy Fancy!

Postby Dozin » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:12 am

Thanks Strum. i should add that this is the first tune of the night, out of the box "if you will" with the Cowboy converted Strat. Recordings never capture the real sounds but man it rings like a bell.
Image
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
User avatar
Dozin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1014
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 5:27 am
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Help me build a Cowboy Fancy!

Postby strumminsix » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:40 am

Dozin wrote:Thanks Strum. i should add that this is the first tune of the night, out of the box "if you will" with the Cowboy converted Strat. Recordings never capture the real sounds but man it rings like a bell.

Hey man, you are welcome! You captured that bit of Bobby that I really love very naturally!

I'd love to see some pics and more of your specs, please! I have a Strat that can go under the knife!
User avatar
strumminsix
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6651
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:13 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Help me build a Cowboy Fancy!

Postby ampegbassplayer1969 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:08 pm

You've got some great tone on that, I'd love to see some pics also!
ampegbassplayer1969
Rosebud
Rosebud
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: Help me build a Cowboy Fancy!

Postby willmusic » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:45 pm

strumminsix wrote:Dozin, that is OUTSTANDING Bobby tone!

I agree, MK, how could that be done S-S-S


I too am dying to know!
User avatar
willmusic
wolf
wolf
 
Posts: 605
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:39 am
Location: VA

Re: Help me build a Cowboy Fancy!

Postby Dozin » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:20 pm

So there's not much to her. This was more of an experimental / trial thang. Again, I wired the humbuckers for single coil. The middle single coil is flipped upside down and wired black is hot and red is ground. I soldiered the cap from the center post of the tone pot to the center post of the volume pot. I got the concept from the way the blackknifes are wired. I noticed that when I do this I get some brighter highs. The pickups really sound the best when the volume and tone are cranked all the way up.

Image
Image
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
User avatar
Dozin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1014
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 5:27 am
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Help me build a Cowboy Fancy!

Postby strumminsix » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:08 am

Dozin wrote:So there's not much to her. This was more of an experimental / trial thang. Again, I wired the humbuckers for single coil. The middle single coil is flipped upside down and wired black is hot and red is ground. I soldiered the cap from the center post of the tone pot to the center post of the volume pot. I got the concept from the way the blackknifes are wired. I noticed that when I do this I get some brighter highs. The pickups really sound the best when the volume and tone are cranked all the way up.

Is that middle single coil RW? So all pickups on at the same time?
User avatar
strumminsix
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6651
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:13 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Help me build a Cowboy Fancy!

Postby Dozin » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:33 am

That's correct
Image
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
User avatar
Dozin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1014
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 5:27 am
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Help me build a Cowboy Fancy!

Postby mkaufman » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:29 am

Actually, I don't think the middle pup is RW (reverse wound). In terms of wiring, it is connected opposite of normal (ground becomes hot and hot becomes ground).

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1369
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:26 pm

Re: Help me build a Cowboy Fancy!

Postby ampegbassplayer1969 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:27 pm

Wow man, the Bobby tone forum is bumpin again -awesome.


And thanks Dozin for the information and inspiration, I'm looking up other guitars to use for a cowboy. I found an Ibanez 170dx for about $120 here, it's already HSH - and I'm a fan of Ibanez also

http://allentown.craigslist.org/msg/2053272058.html

Anyway, it's Basswood, do you guys know if it would be worth it to get this and dump some cash into it to recreate Cowboy?
ampegbassplayer1969
Rosebud
Rosebud
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: Help me build a Cowboy Fancy!

Postby MeAndMyUncle » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:06 pm

Wow, absoultely great tone. If I wouldn't know better, I'd think its the real Bobby :hail:
And thank you also for the wiring info.

So I found out, that my good old 1981 Oakland ZX1200 (more ore less kinda a copy of a Musician or an Ibanez Custom Artist 2700 with an active booster but w/o an EQ) is already close to what I need.
Originally it was built with two DiMarzio Super Distortion PUs.

Image
Image
Image

More than 10 yrs ago I replaced the Bridge PU with a splitable Seymour Duncan and some years ago I added a Fender Single Coil Vintage in the middle pos.
But in my current wiring, the SC can only be combind with the Bridge PU, to get somewhat Knopfler-like sound (what really works great).
Now I will think about extending the wiring to get this Bobby sound without adding more switches and drill holes (all that can be seen, are out of the box).
Up to now the three lower switches are two only 2-way, the upper just adds the booster. Replacing them with Tri-Sounds might bring me closer.

Hope I'll have some spare time the next weeks. If there is any success, I'll keep you informed.
Klaus
User avatar
MeAndMyUncle
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:53 pm
Location: Germany, Bavaria

Re: Help me build a Cowboy Fancy!

Postby ampegbassplayer1969 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:28 pm

So how crucial is the wood for the bobby tone? I found some nice strat bodies for a good price, but they're not ash. Would you highly recommend using Ash for the right tone or doesn't it really matter? I'm really aiming for the 77 sound.
ampegbassplayer1969
Rosebud
Rosebud
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: Help me build a Cowboy Fancy!

Postby strumminsix » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:10 am

ampegbassplayer1969 wrote:So how crucial is the wood for the bobby tone? I found some nice strat bodies for a good price, but they're not ash. Would you highly recommend using Ash for the right tone or doesn't it really matter? I'm really aiming for the 77 sound.


When thinking guitar woods you need to think of the tonality. I'd say brighter tonality is key. In that camp are: ash, maple, and ebony.
But a guitar gets alot of tone from complimenting woods. I find mahogany to be a great compliment. YMMV
User avatar
strumminsix
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6651
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:13 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Help me build a Cowboy Fancy!

Postby Grateful Dad » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:39 am

strumminsix wrote:
ampegbassplayer1969 wrote:So how crucial is the wood for the bobby tone? I found some nice strat bodies for a good price, but they're not ash. Would you highly recommend using Ash for the right tone or doesn't it really matter? I'm really aiming for the 77 sound.


When thinking guitar woods you need to think of the tonality. I'd say brighter tonality is key. In that camp are: ash, maple, and ebony.
But a guitar gets alot of tone from complimenting woods. I find mahogany to be a great compliment. YMMV


When it comes to bringing out the tonality of the wood does finishing the wood in lacquer vs. poly make a big difference?
:?:
Grateful Dad
Phil
Phil
 
Posts: 322
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:15 pm

Re: Help me build a Cowboy Fancy!

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:41 am

Image
Never heard of " Oakland " guitars before. Another one of them Co. that use Ibanez/Japanese Factories ?
Thanks for the heads up.
Hey Klaus - Do you play Dead over there ? Is it hard to find players ?
Happy Holi-daze Bro
:D
User avatar
Tennessee Jedi
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4223
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:29 am
Location: Bucks Co.Pa

Re: Help me build a Cowboy Fancy!

Postby strumminsix » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:13 am

Grateful Dad wrote:When it comes to bringing out the tonality of the wood does finishing the wood in lacquer vs. poly make a big difference?

From what my ears hear, a light lacuier, nitro or light poly don't make a huge difference in tonality. But heavy poly does cover up some of the wood you hear.
User avatar
strumminsix
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6651
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:13 am
Location: Chicago

PreviousNext

Return to Bobby Tone

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests