What kind of gear does everyone have?

Re: What kind of gear does everyone have?

Postby waldo041 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:27 am

Here is my new garage sale Epiphone SG (Stu Garcia) Special i just recently finished. I found this at a garage sale this past summer for $25 and found out it was a player. So after much debate i finally went ahead and squeezed in a middle humbucker and jerrified the electronics of it. The electronics were also a squeeze and the only issue i ran into concerned the tone controls, so i opted for a global tone. All in All i am happy with the find, but now i am really happy overall with the end results. Very Stu Allen/JG for right around $250!

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby jkstraw » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:39 am

Nice work Waldo - for the price you can't beat that. Good call on the global tone....probably the least of all potential sacrifices.
jkstraw
Jerry
Jerry

Postby strumminsix » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:02 am

Dude, Waldo! That is slick!
strumminsix

Postby waldo041 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:00 pm

thanks guys! i know it's not anything flashy like the awesome guitars shown here recently, but it does the trick for me.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby hogan » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:07 pm

waldo041 wrote:thanks guys! i know it's not anything flashy like the awesome guitars shown here recently, but it does the trick for me.

peace,
waldo

Cheap guitars rule.
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby CoolBreeze » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:14 pm

Very nice, Waldo!
And what Hogan said- cheap guitars rule! They give you the freedom (and the $) to experiment, without too much worry about mucking things up-

Bruce
CoolBreeze
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby USBLUES » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:31 pm

Love the StuCaster! WAldo was that a HS3 or 2 or SDS1?
USBLUES
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby waldo041 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:03 pm

USBLUES wrote:Love the StuCaster! WAldo was that a HS3 or 2 or SDS1?

thanks!

it has an sds-1 in the neck, a vintage plastic boxed type super 2 in the middle and a new super 2 in the bridge. 5 way rotary switch, with coil switches for the bridge and middle pickups. obel with switch and a global tone control. oh, and a TPC1 preamp of course.

one thing i did do since the battery is in the control compartment was install some of those wood type anchors so a machine screw can be used versus a wood screw. i don't know the name of them, but they basically are a nut in the wood the machine screw screws into. so i don't strip out the wood in time with regular wood screws. these are a standard on all the moriarty guitars i have seen and where i got the idea from.

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby tcsned » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:16 pm

I dig it Waldo - some of those Epi SGs are really good players, sounds like you got one. There something very cool and unpretentious about a sweet sounding, cheap guitar.
tcsned

Postby hogan » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:32 pm

waldo041 wrote:one thing i did do since the battery is in the control compartment was install some of those wood type anchors so a machine screw can be used versus a wood screw. i don't know the name of them, but they basically are a nut in the wood the machine screw screws into. so i don't strip out the wood in time with regular wood screws. these are a standard on all the moriarty guitars i have seen and where i got the idea from.

peace,
waldo

Wood inserts, usually brass or steel. If I ever build another guitar i'm
going to use 3 or 4 rare earth magnets to hold the back cover on. Just pop your thumbnail under the plate and it's off.
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby JonnyBoy » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:47 pm

I think I see a square inch of space there you can put another mod... :lol: That is an awesome find. I am fond of Les paul's and SG's. My #1 guitar is a Black Beauty Modded thanks to your info. My only problem with some of them is the thick frets, some are like speed bumps. I can't believe you got it for $25 dollars!
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby jaybird1 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:30 am

I would love to install the Garcia electronics inside my SG. What is it called? Buffer Unity Gain bUffer? Where do I get one how hard is it to install? I will need another input as well? Do they make a pedal type unit I can run Guitar to pedal into chain? I got alot of questions thanks

Jay
jaybird1
bruce
bruce

Postby JonnyBoy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:38 am

jaybird1 wrote:I would love to install the Garcia electronics inside my SG. What is it called? Buffer Unity Gain bUffer? Where do I get one how hard is it to install? I will need another input as well? Do they make a pedal type unit I can run Guitar to pedal into chain? I got alot of questions thanks

Jay

You can PM waldo, His buffer is a handmade circuit that many of the Pro's use. He can also tell you how to do it!
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby mijknahs » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:44 pm

Recent outdoor gig 10/22/2010:

Old blackface Fender Twin Reverb with all the known mods (all documented on Waldo"s site)
MC2300
2x12 w/JBL E120s
Custom Cocobolo/Maple/Cocobolo sandwich with the typical Jerry mods/wiring

mijknahs

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:47 pm

Nice pics
Got a link to your band ?
:D
Tennessee Jedi

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar