Alembic Guitar # 1

Re: Alembic Guitar # 1

Postby bdhact1 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:21 am

CoolBreeze wrote:I just got done listening to a soundboard of Jerry playing Peanut in St Louis, at the Fox Theater-
http://www.deadlistening.com/2008/10/1971-march-18-fox-theatre.html

Gosh that guitar sounds GREAT! Actually the whole show is pretty fantastic. I'm a fan of smaller-bodied guitars, in general.

Plus, St Louis is my home, and the Fox is a venue extraordinaire. I had line tickets to see them there in 86- but that show got canceled when Jerry got sick.

Really nice to be able to put the Peanut together with this show!!!! :P

This show also has one of the earliest versions of "Loser", which I thought had been written later.
bdhact1
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:21 am

Awesome inlay! :hail:
Rusty the Scoob

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:08 pm

Rusty the Scoob wrote:Awesome inlay! :hail:

Mind-blowing! Such a killer combination of Dead images too. Can't help thinking something this fine probably costs more than my entire rig...
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby jkstraw » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:42 pm

Larry Robinson wrote:Normally I wouldn't put up my own work here unless it was relevant to the post issue, but I have received a request from this thread to show this inlay, which has just been completed for a guitar Dan Ransom is building.

Wow Larry - you just made my day!!! That is beyond my wildest expectations!! Thank you so much!
jkstraw
Jerry
Jerry

Postby gr8fulbluz » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:55 pm

awesome inlay for sure, not enough eeee in sweet!
gr8fulbluz
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby Larry Robinson » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:14 pm

.[quote]Mind-blowing! Such a killer combination of Dead images too. Can't help thinking something this fine probably costs more than my entire rig../quote]

Well, maybe if you have the Walmart guitar with the crank in the side, but you'd be surprised at how affordable something like this can be. One of the problems that comes with my history is that lots of people think I'm too backed up or too busy making inlaid showpiece instruments, or I'll never want to put their signature on the 12th fret, or I can only work on guitars in the process of being made. Players send me their whole guitars for position markers and I don't even have to remove the frets most of the time. All you have to do is email me to find out...
Larry Robinson
Vince
Vince

Postby Thomas Lieber » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:43 pm

Larry, frackin amazing! Such fine work displays the care taken from concept into reality. This is the real thing folks, hand cut inlay artistry by a master luthier!
I absolutely loved it!
Thomas Lieber
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby jkstraw » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:29 pm

Larry Robinson wrote:
Mind-blowing! Such a killer combination of Dead images too. Can't help thinking something this fine probably costs more than my entire rig..

Well, maybe if you have the Walmart guitar with the crank in the side, but you'd be surprised at how affordable something like this can be. One of the problems that comes with my history is that lots of people think I'm too backed up or too busy making inlaid showpiece instruments, or I'll never want to put their signature on the 12th fret, or I can only work on guitars in the process of being made. Players send me their whole guitars for position markers and I don't even have to remove the frets most of the time. All you have to do is email me to find out...

+1 guys - I paid for this piece and it was very reasonable....in fact seeing the piece for the first time I can tell you it was a very fair price. Larry did all the inlay on my Tiger and I still marvel at the work. Beyond the technical skill involved the artistic choices are what really make his work first rate and each piece a one of a kind work of art. :hail:
jkstraw
Jerry
Jerry

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:17 pm

Larry Robinson wrote:.
Mind-blowing! Such a killer combination of Dead images too. Can't help thinking something this fine probably costs more than my entire rig../quote]

I stand corrected, and no, I actually kinda have the rig I always dreamed of. But if I lost it all and had to start over, it would probably have to be the $99 guitar + amp combo for me... you've made me curious though!
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby strumminsix » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:09 am

That is awesome news! Thank you, Larry!
strumminsix

Postby waldo041 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:34 am

Larry, awesome stuff! thanks for sharing. knowing you worked along side doug with and after alembic, did you do any of the inlays in wolf, tiger or rosebud?

again thanks!

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Larry Robinson » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:33 am

Although I knew Doug and hung out with him on occasion, I never did any work on his instruments, except to complete a bass once that had gotten as far as two body halves and a neck with no peghead. That was after he had moved from this area. When I got to Alembic he was already doing his own thing and once in a while he'd have Frank doing piecework. Those inlays as far as I know were done by Doug though, from public domain images.
Larry Robinson
Vince
Vince

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:34 am

jkstraw wrote:

Wow Larry - you just made my day!!! That is beyond my wildest expectations!! Thank you so much!

^^^^^^ should have known it was you , Jon ! ^^^^^^^^^^
Congrats !
just amazing ....
:smile:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby strumminsix » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:41 am

I am so contemplating taking the neck off a guitar and sending mailing it....
strumminsix

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:24 am

"strumminsix" inlayed on the neck would cool
8)
Tennessee Jedi

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar Building and Mods