Run For The Roses - billbbill - vid

Run For The Roses - billbbill - vid

Postby Billbbill » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:34 pm

I need to sing this better but here she goes just the same...

Billbbill

Re: Run For The Roses - billbbill - vid

Postby gr8fulbluz » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:17 am

:hail:
that was sweet. Ya know sometimes I forget how much i liked a song and I really used to love this one and Rubin And Cherise. FWIW. they were always in my mix in my head.

I really wanna go back and look at what you were doing around 2:30 with the 3 or 4 note arpeggios and again at the end i love what you were doing around 5:40ish> I just love that JG style and technique.

so now I am checking out some Utubie for solo ideas like 'ere at around 2:20 i love the ol' bend and release.

And in this one the video quality is not as good but around 2:30, just loving that run.

Thank you so much for doing the video.
now i got to get to work :twisted:
gr8fulbluz
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby Billbbill » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:10 am

Thanks - yea those are all pretty much straight up arpeggios - I'll tab it out later - a few minor wrinkles with the pattern. I coulda pulled it off cleaner but in due (good!) time I suppose.

Did you notice on this portion in the vids you linked on one he flat picks and on one he finger picks? Most of the vids I watched he's flat picking - only a few is he finger picking but a definite difference.
Billbbill

Postby gr8fulbluz » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:17 am

Billbbill wrote:Did you notice on this portion in the vids you linked on one he flat picks and on one he finger picks?

Thanks, i absolutely missed that i was so focused on the left hand. Gotta go look. cool
gr8fulbluz
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby Pete B. » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:49 am

Great Tune.
Man, Jer uses his thumb alot on the 6th string.
My little sausage fingers aren't long enough. :hail:
I like the Studio version with MuIII, too.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radi ... 1&disc=001
Pete B.

Postby waldo041 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:45 am

very nice bill!

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby jdsmodulus » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:02 am

Wow man I think this is your best vid to date. Very nice. Now if I may suggest something, maybe try some breathing excerises in order to not hold your breath while soloing. I tend to do this alot. Your singing will also be stronger if you are as relaxed as you can be. That said, your phrasing is just fine and your in key. I try to think of the whole tune body and guitar as one. If you can practice your breathing, you will find that the whole thing comes together. Again just some friendly advise, I really think you did a great job! :hail:
jdsmodulus

Postby Billbbill » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:49 pm

gr8fulbluz wrote:
I really wanna go back and look at what you were doing around 2:30 with the 3 or 4 note arpeggios and again at the end i love what you were doing around 5:40ish> I just love that JG style and technique.

Code: Select all
(/) Slide Up  (\) Slide Down  (h) Hammer On  (p) Pull Off  (b) Bend (r) Release (v) Vibrato

E|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B|----------14--15----------14----------12--12----------14----------14--12----------10-------------
G|------14----------14--------------12----------12----------14--------------12----------11---------
D|--14------------------16------12------------------12----------14--------------12----------12-----
A|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E|--------------------------------------------------------------------------
B|--10--10----------14----------14--12----------10----------10--10----------
G|----------11----------14--------------12----------11--------------11------
D|--------------12----------14--------------12----------12--------------12--
A|--------------------------------------------------------------------------
E|--------------------------------------------------------------------------

E|----------------------------------------------
B|--14----------14--12----------10----------10--
G|------14--------------12----------11------9---
D|----------14--------------12------12--11------
A|----------------------------------------------
E|----------------------------------------------
                     http://www.guitartabcreator.com

I was doodling around with finger/flat picking different voicings of A, G & D chords at the end - hadn't intended on including it but after watching it I said what the heck, I'll leave it in.
Billbbill

Postby Billbbill » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:51 pm

waldo041 wrote:very nice bill!

peace,
waldo

Thanks mike!
Billbbill

Postby Billbbill » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:03 pm

jdsmodulus wrote:Wow man I think this is your best vid to date. Very nice. Now if I may suggest something, maybe try some breathing excerises in order to not hold your breath while soloing. I tend to do this alot. Your singing will also be stronger if you are as relaxed as you can be. That said, your phrasing is just fine and your in key. I try to think of the whole tune body and guitar as one. If you can practice your breathing, you will find that the whole thing comes together. Again just some friendly advise, I really think you did a great job! :hail:

Thanks jd - I've been more conscious of and better at breathing lightly through my nose while singing - this has solved a nasal-y thing I'd been producing - bringing the words out more smoothly - but I wasn't aware that I was/am holding my breath while soloing - I'll have to keep that in mind now too! I'm usually focusing on the changes and that's about it - from there I just let the rest flow.

The first thing I thought when listening to it was I felt I missed dropping down to the last notes of particularly the chorus lines. I'd also just started doing the "drawing out" of the last words of the verse lines and thought those trailed off a bit at times. But I evidently still thought it was good enough to post! :smile:

Thanks for the tips jd.
Billbbill

Postby gr8fulbluz » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:24 pm

Pete B. wrote: . ..
Man, Jer uses his thumb alot on the 6th string.

I thought that too, it is something i have been working on and off for the last year doing it more. Like Jimi in 'little wing' comes to mind. I use it also in Led zeps 'babe i am gonna leave you' now that i think of it. Sometimes I grab the F# note with the thumb doing an open D chord, but I dont recall using it with any Jerry tunes. Hmm
now i am off to check out the studio version. :-) I used to have it on cassette, dunno where it is now.

for example;
E|--2--
B|--3--
G|--2--
D|--0--
A|-----
E|--2--
gr8fulbluz
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby Gr8fulGreg » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:38 am

Wow bill grate video... and very very helpful. Very meaningful song to me and my Girlfriend and always wanted a good unplugged version that i could learn from and now i have it.. very good and thank you so much... its the little videos like this that help make my day and the best part is you never intended to make my day :)... be well!
-Grateful Greg-head
...More then my maker but he's no friend of mine
Gr8fulGreg
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby Billbbill » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:27 am

Gr8fulGreg wrote:Wow bill grate video... and very very helpful. Very meaningful song to me and my Girlfriend and always wanted a good unplugged version that i could learn from and now i have it.. very good and thank you so much... its the little videos like this that help make my day and the best part is you never intended to make my day :)... be well!
-Grateful Greg-head

Ha! Well it's a cool byproduct! Any questions about this let me know. And Thanks!
Billbbill

Return to Run for the Roses