MusicianBud Mod

Re: MusicianBud Mod

Postby USBLUES » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:12 pm

The two CTS 500k pots i got on fleabay felt dry and un-greased, i think they are bunk, i was opening one of the pickup boxes and a dimarzio 500k pot with a switch fell out but its audio taper not linear. :? Those pots were supposed to be new. why would a pot feel like that, was it used or just old? i feel ripped off
USBLUES
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby waldo041 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:02 am

did you order a Dimarzio Dual Sound? the Dual Sound comes with a pot with switch not the Super 2.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby USBLUES » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:44 am

yes i did buy a dual sound, and its pretty cool they throw that in there. I found a dual ganged 250k linear pot....if I add 250k resistor on the tabs 1 and 3 on one of the pots will that make that pot 500k? or is is the other way around? im trying to fake an ab mod pot.
USBLUES
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby JonnyBoy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:13 am

Adding the resistor would make it fixed not variable. The turning of the pot changes resistance, an actual resistor can't be changed, unless you solder in a different value.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby USBLUES » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:40 am

that makes allot of sense, im really just learning this stuff, but some of it is coming into focus, thanks for the info, what about using one of those dual blend pots with 250k and 500k? Waldo suggested that I use a dual gang 250k because the 250k woudl be good for the bridge anyway, might do that as well
USBLUES
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby USBLUES » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:45 pm

Getting into the nitty gritty...

USBLUES
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby USBLUES » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:35 am

If you guys see any mistakes or glaring problems please blast away....

One thing to notice that Waldo mentioned to me was getting to know your 5-way. He said to figure out what lug does what, and he was right. If i had just contiued with the diagram and not verifed it with the hardware everything would have been backwards. So that was a great help.
USBLUES
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby WilliamC » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:40 am

Lookin' good!
One small thought - instead of using tape, consider using heat shrink tubing to insulate your connections. It's a little more work, but it also doesn't end up a sticky mess in 6 months or fall off at some inconvenient moment.
WilliamC
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:51 am

The secret sauce --------------------------------------- -----^^^^^^^^^^
:smile:
Looking great !
Tennessee Jedi

Postby USBLUES » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:04 am

Been a while since the last post....I am just waiting for a new custom pickgaurd/Pupring from Brian at 9mileskid.com, the great thing about it is that I am going to get to have 3 hums like i originally wanted(which from what i've seen is rare for Musician Mods) and more importantley what i purchased and have on hand, i will have Super II's in the neck and bridge and a Dual sound in the middle, the dual sound is cream and the Supers are black, I'm thinkin the most logical name for her will be ....you guessed it .....OREO(Think of the cavity cover and headstock inlay possibilities!). I'm sure Jerry popped his fair share of those cookies at one time or another. also i replaced the caps with orange drops. the pots i ordered ended up being great, they were so new they just needed to be broken in a little, now they are super smooth...i love all this gear and can't wait to get this done... i just pray this pickgaurd works and all my wiring is correct.

I want ot take this opportunity to thank some folks who have been awesome and have listened and answered all my rookie/newbi questions and have guided me along this luthieric journey, Mike Wald, Matt Moriarty & Brian from 9mileskid.com. You guys are the best thanks for helping me out on this project...
USBLUES
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:08 am

Congrats man !
Yeah - this site is AWESOME for getting shit done
So may great peps
Too many to name
Tennessee Jedi

Postby USBLUES » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:50 pm

Congrats man !
Yeah - this site is AWESOME for getting shit done
So may great peps
Too many to name

Your one of them Tom! :cheers:
USBLUES
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby USBLUES » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:23 am

She's Alive! Brian Came thorugh with an awesome pickguard, better than i imagined and everything looks cool. This thing sounds great, i didn't have allot of time to fool around but, it's really clear and i love all the tonal options. Its so cool to have splitable Hums and a 5-way. I am a LP guy, but always had an eye for strats, this is the best of both worlds. I love it!

IMG_0721.JPG
MBM
IMG_0721.JPG (53.85 KiB) Viewed 1223 times
Last edited by USBLUES on Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
USBLUES
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby USBLUES » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:26 am

The wiring is a total HACK job, but it all works, truth be told i haven't tested the effects loop becuae my obel junction box isn't built yet, but everything else works. While soldering I felt like i was playing a very expensive game of "operation" and not scoring well. One thing that i deviated from Waldo Rosebud diagram was using a dual-ganged 500k cts pot for the neck and bridge tone control instead of sharing one pot. In my mind it was simpler.
Attachments
IMG_0713.JPG
Wiring
IMG_0713.JPG (48.88 KiB) Viewed 1223 times
Last edited by USBLUES on Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
USBLUES
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby USBLUES » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:33 am

I couldn't, and still kinda don't believe it worked straight away, i was prepearing myself for a long night or wire tracign and multi-meter hell. I put two strings on there, blindley plugged into one of the jacks, and sound came out. Good sound two, crisp Jerry-like sounds, really really cool.

IMG_0716.JPG
IMG_0716.JPG (42.23 KiB) Viewed 1222 times
USBLUES
Pigpen
Pigpen

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar Building and Mods