Les Paul Effects Loop

Les Paul Effects Loop

Postby al.hurst » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:20 pm

I know the theroy of the OBEL but Im stumped in how to wire it in to a Les Paul wired guitar. Thanks Alex
"The Blues is easy to play...but man its hard to feel!"- Jimi Hendrix
al.hurst
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Re: Les Paul Effects Loop

Postby jackr » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:41 pm

I dont know how to do it but you are going to have to drill a hole into the guitar so that you can plug 2 chords into it. I couldnt do that to my les paul.
On tour '76 - '81
Clean & Sober since '87
jackr

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:43 pm

I had to set up my les paul like jerrys guitar to make it work, I couldnt get it to work right the way it was wired.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:17 pm

Get a replacement control cavity plate, and install the 2nd jack there, in the back of the guitar.

There was another thread around here that dealt with OBEL on a two-volume guitar, like a Gretsch maybe?
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby al.hurst » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:46 pm

Yeah, That was the same guitar... :roll:
Well that whole idea turned out like crap and I couldnt get it to work for soem reason. I think it might be my soldering skills.

I got a Alpha pots Les Paul wiring kit, that is pre-wired. I am lookign for a way to integrate a OBEL with little mod to the stock wiring. I am thinking that the OBEL should be wired into the Third log on the 3way switch.

al.hurst
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:49 pm

al.hurst wrote:Yeah, That was the same guitar... :roll:
Well that whole idea turned out like crap and I couldnt get it to work for soem reason. I think it might be my soldering skills.

I got a Alpha pots Les Paul wiring kit, that is pre-wired. I am lookign for a way to integrate a OBEL with little mod to the stock wiring. I am thinking that the OBEL should be wired into the Third log on the 3way switch.

Wow the switch being post-volume looks alien to a Fender guy like me. I don't see a way to do it and have the loop be pre-volume, unless you use the signal from just one pup (say the Bridge pup) and have the hot lead go right to the UGB>OBEL, then to Volume, and the rest of the schemo. You could blend fx with non-fx this
way.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby waldo041 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 pm

al,

i think you should reread the fundamentals of the JG devised effects loop. i think you'll figure out the problem from that.

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby JonnyBoy » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:14 pm

The thing can be done, but expect to remove all the joints from the wires and start over with something completely different. I chose the Rosebud wiring, since a 3 way switch doe not have a single signal coming off it, a five way had to be used. Each pickup is wired to the switch and only one wire from there can go to the vol/tone/switches/. I couldn't make it work well .You can make it work, I thought since I was going that far I may as well put what I want in it. Good Luck though, and when you finish it be sure to post it, it will be a first around here to have that schematic available. Peace bro, Jon
JonnyBoy

Postby waldo041 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:39 am

JonnyBoy wrote: I chose the Rosebud wiring, since a 3 way switch doe not have a single signal coming off it, a five way had to be used. Each pickup is wired to the switch and only one wire from there can go to the vol/tone/switches/.

the 3 way DOES have a single output wire. the rub is the fact that the volumeS are BEFORE the OBEL AND 2 of them. the whole point in having the OBEL is to have a MASTER VOLUME after the OBEL JACK. this sends the pickups full volume signal to the tip of the jack, out to and thru the effects back in the ring(receive) of the jack, then thru the single MASTER VOLUME to the output jack. with pickup volumes for each pickup AND being before the OBEL jack, you might as well just get an audio switcher and go the true bypass route only, because you are not addressing the fundamental use of the OBEL in the first place.

also, if you have no OBEL switch, you need a switchcraft 14b OBEL switching stereo jack to operate the guitar with nothing in the OBEL jack.

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:55 am

If this were my Les Paul I'd just change it to a pickup-blend>OBEL>master-volume setup. I'm baffled as to why the pickup blend knob hasn't caught on more with you skinny stringers.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby al.hurst » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:21 pm

Ahh, I knew i forgot SOMETHING, Of course its the most important thing..
Thanks for the refresher Waldo.

Rusty, This is a VERY good idea, Could you do a pick-up blender>Master Tone>OBEL>Master Volume?
Im thinking that this would work well for me.

BTW, I would just do a full on tiger wiring bu there are a few problems I have.
1. Teh Gretsch has smaller pickups and I only have two pickups, I could swap them for the three pickup route but i did a little photo editing and the gretsch just looks stupid with big ole humbuckers and a single coil.Also a little bit pricy and Im broke..

2. Also gretsch style Filtertrons Are only 1 conductor wires and It is a PITA do convert them.

Thanks Guys.
al.hurst
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby JonnyBoy » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:09 am

waldo041 wrote:
JonnyBoy wrote: I chose the Rosebud wiring, since a 3 way switch doe not have a single signal coming off it, a five way had to be used. Each pickup is wired to the switch and only one wire from there can go to the vol/tone/switches/.

the 3 way DOES have a single output wire. the rub is the fact that the volumeS are BEFORE the OBEL AND 2 of them. the whole point in having the OBEL is to have a MASTER VOLUME after the OBEL JACK. this sends the pickups full volume signal to the tip of the jack, out to and thru the effects back in the ring(receive) of the jack, then thru the single MASTER VOLUME to the output jack. with pickup volumes for each pickup AND being before the OBEL jack, you might as well just get an audio switcher and go the true bypass route only, because you are not addressing the fundamental use of the OBEL in the first place.

also, if you have no OBEL switch, you need a switchcraft 14b OBEL switching stereo jack to operate the guitar with nothing in the OBEL jack.

peace,
waldo

It had been a while since I have done it, I had problems though trying to follow the schematic. I remember now my issue was that both vol and tone pots were wired per pickup to each end of the switch if that makes sense. Coming off that switch I found the OBEL would be pre vol and tone. It had to be rewired to make it post vol and pre tone, which like Waldo said, is the main point of the OBEL. Adding a middle super II pickup and rewiring like a strat was most helpful and left the 3 way and a pot unused in the end. I looked into the blend situation for the extra pot, and Tapestry mentioned it didn't turn out well for him and I dropped the idea. If you accomplish the blend thing, Let me know what you did to make it happen!!
Thanks, Jon

http://www.rukind.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=309&t=8711#wrap
JonnyBoy

Postby al.hurst » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:53 pm

As long as I can add a master tone BEFORE the OBEL and Vol. I think I can make it work.
Im going to try to go Blender>Master Tone>OBEL>Master Volume

With a Phase switch (maybee) thrown in there and a Kill Switch just for fun :D
Ill try to draw up a schem and hopefully the gods will revel if it will work.
al.hurst
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby al.hurst » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:09 pm

Ive been messing around with this for a few days... I think I got it mostly figured out. The only thing im not so sure on is wiring the Tone Pots> Blend knob.
HELPP GUYS

al.hurst
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:37 pm

JonnyBoy wrote: It had to be rewired to make it post vol and pre tone, which like Waldo said, is the main point of the OBEL.

To quote Willy Wonka, "Strike that; reverse it." (it should be post-tone, and pre-volume)
tigerstrat

Next

Return to Guitar Building and Mods