Waldo's TPC1 Buffer

Re: Waldo's TPC1 Buffer

Postby wleeds » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:54 pm

keirweir wrote:
playingdead wrote:Sounds nice, Keir ... I think, if I were you, I'd try to fatten up the midrange a little bit and reduce a touch of brightness off the guitar, it will sit in the mix better that way. Heard on its own, Jerry's guitar sounded a little more fat, almost nasal, in the mids as opposed to those super crispy highs and slightly scooped mids. Took me a while to figure out how to get away from that little bit of thinness in the context of the entire band. Turn off the bright switch if you have it on. You've got passive tone controls on your Twin, so it's good to experiment with slight changes to the bass and treble controls as well as the mid control, as they all affect each other, as opposed to a regular EQ pedal.

I took the Beyma speakers out of my twin, put my K-120's in my twin and put my E -120's in my cab. Beyma's are officially my backups.

I played around with the amp settings for a bit, turned off the bright switch and ping... There it was... Jerry 82-89 sound.

It had to be the Beyma speakers... I have officially graduated from the bright switch.

BTW... My strat sounds so much better now too.

Thanks for the heads up!

clips or pics of your strat? which pickups?
thx,mark
wleeds
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby keirweir » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:30 am

waldo041 wrote:BASS = OFF (COMPLETELY)
MIDS = 5 1/2
TREB = 10 (ALL THE WAY UP)
BRIGHT SWITCH = OFF

VOL 4 1/2 NOR MORE THEN 5 1/2 WHEN PREAMPED TO A SS AMP.

peace,
waldo

I am running a 65 re-issue and have been experimenting with settings.

Bass=2
Mids=6
treb=10
bright=off
volume 2-3 good volume
volume 3-4 SUPER LOUD, even with a band

What is the benefit or pre-amping a twin? I did some poking around but thought maybe there could be some brief discussion.
keirweir

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:15 am

I think these tone settings will widely differ, particularly depending on whether your Twin/Showman/AB763 has had the tone caps swapped for different values/materials, and on the speakers you are running.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby keirweir » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:19 am

tigerstrat wrote:I think these tone settings will widely differ, particularly depending on whether your Twin/Showman/AB763 has had the tone caps swapped for different values/materials, and on the speakers you are running.

Stock 65 re-issue
I have some amp mods lined up but haven't done them yet
K-120's
keirweir

Postby TI4-1009 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:51 pm

Rusty the Scoob wrote:I don't see any disadvatage to putting two jacks on the side. You could do either two barrel style jacks, or I've seen people use something like a dual Les Paul jackplate which accomodates flushmount jacks.

Ric-O-Sound!
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby JonnyBoy » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:39 pm

keirweir wrote:What is the benefit or pre-amping a twin? I did some poking around but thought maybe there could be some brief discussion.

I have found a better control over the volume to tone ratio. Usually with a tube combo as you get higher gain/volume the more distortion and compression you get. With the separate power/pre thing you can set the twin, then adjust the power section to your liking without pushing tubes to an undesired state. You can up the volume of the preamp lower the SS amp or vise versa to obtain different tones too. it is possible to get really loud and be pushing the speakers close to a tone like a softer amp setting. For the most part though, you can set the twin at the tone you like and raise the volume without distorting its preamp/power section. Plus, the SS amps behave a little differently than tube driven power section. It has its own sound that some players like, but it is less forgiving dynamically.

More overhead is a plus with larger SS amps for those that need big volume. Plus no more buying power tubes! A twin or Fender combo amp sounds great by itself and there is nothing wrong with doing such a thing, but a new world of tone opened up for me with the preamp mod. I put it in a small head since I will never use it as a combo anyway. I think Jerry did it to get the volume he wanted with a more streamlined system that had the overhead to boot, one preamp one power amp rather than a stack of twins.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby keirweir » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:52 am

JonnyBoy wrote:
keirweir wrote:What is the benefit or pre-amping a twin? I did some poking around but thought maybe there could be some brief discussion.

I have found a better control over the volume to tone ratio. Usually with a tube combo as you get higher gain/volume the more distortion and compression you get. With the separate power/pre thing you can set the twin, then adjust the power section to your liking without pushing tubes to an undesired state. You can up the volume of the preamp lower the SS amp or vise versa to obtain different tones too. it is possible to get really loud and be pushing the speakers close to a tone like a softer amp setting. For the most part though, you can set the twin at the tone you like and raise the volume without distorting its preamp/power section. Plus, the SS amps behave a little differently than tube driven power section. It has its own sound that some players like, but it is less forgiving dynamically.

More overhead is a plus with larger SS amps for those that need big volume. Plus no more buying power tubes! A twin or Fender combo amp sounds great by itself and there is nothing wrong with doing such a thing, but a new world of tone opened up for me with the preamp mod. I put it in a small head since I will never use it as a combo anyway. I think Jerry did it to get the volume he wanted with a more streamlined system that had the overhead to boot, one preamp one power amp rather than a stack of twins.

Thanks for the explanation!

It looks like my next project is going to be re-building a Jer rig from the ground up. There are so many roads :wink: I could take to get there... It will be a long strenuous task but in the end I will be rewarded.
keirweir

Postby gdrfk1990 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:55 pm

Installed it's just the dry run but it sounds great I installed into current setup.. Tomorrow I am going to disassemble and beging to refinish the guitar then I will rewire with new parts and permenantly install TPC sounds fantastick I can Really hear the difference thanks Waldo. If you have one I would still like a schematic for 2 super 2's 1 volume 2 tones a five way the tpc and no switches
gdrfk1990
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby gdrfk1990 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:46 pm

Just used this at practice insane !!!!!! Thanks Waldo this is great product !!! :P
gdrfk1990
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby keirweir » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:12 am

So I have been going back and forth trying to find that sound for a long time.
Finally, I decided to commit to turning the bright switch off on my twin and cranking the treble.

Resurrection Eagle> Tiger wood>TPC1>re-issue Twin

Treble 9
Mids 7
bass 0-1

The reverb might be a tad lacking here as this was a smaller club with no house PA or mic'd instruments.

Rusty the scoob on bass!

Think is the first electric tune as we did some accoustic to open. So Many roads is a good time. Dear Prudence is always good!

http://www.archive.org/details/DLG2010-10-16.Beatniks.Worcester
keirweir

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:22 am

keirweir wrote:Resurrection Eagle> Tiger wood>TPC1>re-issue Twin
"Tiger wood"?
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby keirweir » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:55 am

tigerstrat wrote:
"Tiger wood"?

Coco Bolo - maple and not Tiger's man thing
keirweir

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:08 am

keirweir wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:
"Tiger wood"?

Coco Bolo - maple and not Tiger's man thing

OK, that didn't really clear it up for me, but... you just said "Tiger's man thing", so that was at least worth a grin. :lol: Are you just trying to represent the instrument's construction material as part of your signal path?
tigerstrat

Postby keirweir » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:10 am

I was basically saying my Resurrection Eagle is a Maple core coco bolo guitar.
keirweir

Postby keirweir » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:14 am

Dear Prudence - New twin settings
No bright switch treble at about

Treble 8-9
mids 6-7
bass 0-1

good tone example 4:48 on...

http://www.archive.org/download/DLG2010-10-16.Beatniks.Worcester/DLG_2010-10-16_D1T08_Dear_Prudence.mp3
keirweir

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone