DRRI preamp tap, what do I tell My Tech?

DRRI preamp tap, what do I tell My Tech?

Postby Ender » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:48 am

Hey Guys, I picked up a deluxe reverb a couple months ago and its time it got serviced, so i figured id just ask my tech to do the preamp tap. Would he know what to do if i printed out the diagram from waldos site? What exactly should i tell him to do and is there a way to tap it and still use it as a combo if i wanted to?
sorry if this question was brought up before, but i couldn't see to find a straightforward answer. THANKS! :hail:
Ender
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Re: DRRI preamp tap, what do I tell My Tech?

Postby strumminsix » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:29 am

I'd suggest just taking into your tech and have him do it "his way".

This will also give you insight into how good this tech is if you know what I mean :cool:
strumminsix

Postby tigerstrat » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:10 am

Ender wrote:is there a way to tap it and still use it as a combo if i wanted to?

Wouldn't hurt to show the tech Waldo's switching-jack diagram, for this purpose. If you skip the switching arrangement and just make a simple tap to a standard jack (like I did), you can reconvert to a combo use simply by inserting a dummy plug (or a snipped-off cable end)into the jack.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby JonnyBoy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:41 am

This may help too, dunno how close the circuits are, but it may be a good starting point for your tech. Waldo posted a RI schematic for a twin with the values we figured out.

http://www.rukind.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=309&t=8265
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby RiverRat » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:57 pm

Last edited by RiverRat on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverRat

Postby waldo041 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:49 am

a "good" tech should totally understand the schem/layout.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Ender » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:45 am

" If you skip the switching arrangement and just make a simple tap to a standard jack (like I did), you can reconvert to a combo use simply by inserting a dummy plug (or a snipped-off cable end)into the jack."

Thats sounds exactly what i want to do. Putting in the mid control sounds like a fantastic idea too.... I've also heard things about a bright cap in vibrato channel that should be clipped? 8)
Ender
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby waldo041 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:57 am

with the swicthing jack i show on the schem/layout, you can use the amp as a combo by removing the plug and reconnecting the speakers. no dummy plug needed.

as for the mid control, what i did was remove input 2 and moved the volume to to that hole, and rewired a mid control in the tone controls by sliding the bass knob where the volume was and placing the mid control where the bass was. this way when used as a combo the only function i lost was the use of input 2, which i never use.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Return to Jerry Tone