What is the best amp combo for Jerry TONE???

What is the best amp combo for Jerry TONE???

Postby Leftyprs » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:03 am

What is the best amp combo to get good Jerry tone?
Leftyprs
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Re: What is the best amp combo for Jerry TONE???

Postby schmidtz » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:26 am

He used a Silverface Twin. That's the amp you want. I have a '77, and it gets pretty close. But pair it with some JBL E120's and you will have it.
If you don't have the money/space for a Twin, go with a Deluxe, or Princeton Reverb.
If you don't have the money for those, a Champ or Hot Rod Deluxe will do the trick.
Happy Noodling.
"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."
schmidtz
Jester
Jester

Postby JonnyBoy » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:13 pm

schmidtz wrote:He used a Silverface Twin. That's the amp you want. I have a '77, and it gets pretty close. But pair it with some JBL E120's and you will have it.
If you don't have the money/space for a Twin, go with a Deluxe, or Princeton Reverb.
If you don't have the money for those, a Champ or Hot Rod Deluxe will do the trick.
Happy Noodling.

+1 on the fender twin, but you could use....
An SMS Classic and a MC50 or MC250 amp is about the closest amp combo you can get, if not the actual way to do it. Although there are a lot of ways to get splitting hairs close. I have a fender Gdec into a MC50 and it sounds better than my preamp twin, but that is only at a low or non gig volume. I hear Axe FX guys do some real interesting sounds and have all the versatility in the world. So it goes to show, you can get there in some unusual ways. If I could build from the ground again it would be a MC250 and SMS Classic into a JBL E120 cab 1x12 is plenty, even for gigs.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby unnbrokenchain » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:31 pm

Johnny Boy is totally right on the MC250 and SMS preamp. But, if you want something a little more conventional and versatile. Try a fender bandmaster or a showman. The showman is the same as a Twin but just in amphead form, and the bandmaster is the same thing as a showman but less the wattage so you can get a great tone at a decent volume level (great for the house, bedroom, or basement). You could even try a Mesa, my next purchase. Then just get a nice speaker cabinet, and throw in some JBL's.
unnbrokenchain
Mickey
Mickey

Postby tigerstrat » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:49 pm

combo amp? or combination of amps? small/large, how loud is your band, etc.?
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Leftyprs » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:16 pm

Just looking for something around the house for now
Leftyprs
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby unnbrokenchain » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:11 pm

I wouldn't do anything more than 50 watts then. Get the sms preamp. I have not tried it but a couple guys have, and that would be a mesa 50/50 power amp. I'm sure if you fire that thing up at full capacity it would sound great, and there you'd have a rack rig.
unnbrokenchain
Mickey
Mickey

Postby tigerstrat » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:33 pm

For "around the house", I'd get a Fender tube amp under 20 watts: a Princeton Reverb or Super Champ, or if you prefer to use external reverb, a Vibro Champ or Champ.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:42 am

For around the house, I'd agree on the Princeton Reverb. A Princeton Reverb with a JBL D110 or K110 sounds very Jerry if you turn the bass knob off and turn up the treble to about 8 to 10. You also may want to snip the little bright cap that's at the volume pot. That adds unnecessary crispness. Even other speakers will sound pretty good at the low power levels of a Princeton. The Princeton is VERY close to the Twin preamp circuit of Jerry's, especially with that spring reverb.

Brad
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby Leftyprs » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:05 pm

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:For around the house, I'd agree on the Princeton Reverb. A Princeton Reverb with a JBL D110 or K110 sounds very Jerry if you turn the bass knob off and turn up the treble to about 8 to 10. You also may want to snip the little bright cap that's at the volume pot. That adds unnecessary crispness. Even other speakers will sound pretty good at the low power levels of a Princeton. The Princeton is VERY close to the Twin preamp circuit of Jerry's, especially with that spring reverb.

Brad

Is the Deluxe reissue similar as well as the Princeton? Also I am in St Louis any idea where to get one w/ the speaker swapped?

Thanks,

Brad O.
Leftyprs
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby jerrys.kids » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:08 pm

anybody rockin a blues jr?
"Mama said, don't go near that river."
jerrys.kids
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:51 pm

The Deluxe Reissue is also the same tone stack and preamp, basically. The Blues Jr. is actually a pretty good circuit for a Jerry tone. Both the Blues JR. and the reissue Fenders could stand for better cap's and resistors here and there, and definitely a more appropriate speaker, but they're definitely in the ballpark circuit-wise.

Brad
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:17 pm

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:The Deluxe Reissue is also the same tone stack and preamp, basically. The Blues Jr. is actually a pretty good circuit for a Jerry tone. Both the Blues JR. and the reissue Fenders could stand for better cap's and resistors here and there, and definitely a more appropriate speaker, but they're definitely in the ballpark circuit-wise.

Agreed. I rehearse at low-medium volume on my keyboardist's Blues Deluxe (DRRI variant) and it sounds great.
tigerstrat

Postby jerrys.kids » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:13 pm

swapping the speaker seems to be the common denominator in all these answers. will the jbl get you closer most every time?
"Mama said, don't go near that river."
jerrys.kids
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby waldo041 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:13 pm

jerrys.kids wrote:swapping the speaker seems to be the common denominator in all these answers. will the jbl get you closer most every time?

the jbl allows for a clean output with little to no color from the speaker. a lot of combos use low wattage colorful speakers(ie..different freq responses) and by making the swap to the jbl the preamp and amp's colors can be exposed and dialed in more precisely vs. always fighting the speakers constant color on the output.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Next

Return to Jerry Tone