Two E120s in a THD 2x12

Two E120s in a THD 2x12

Postby Grant » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:45 pm

Hey guys, I'm considering putting two E120 speakers into my THD 2x12 cabinet. I have looked at buying a hard truckers 1x12 but it would work out quite expensive to get it to Australia.

I emailed hard truckers and Glenn told me they would put a birch baffle in the 1x12 for stability since the E120 is quite heavy.

My question is, if I stuck with the THD cab, would I need to alter it in anyway to accomodate two E120s?

Thanks
Grant
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Re: Two E120s in a THD 2x12

Postby JonnyBoy » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:38 pm

Not likely, have had heavy ceramic speakers like that for a long time and none of my amps or cabs have crumbled under the weight. He just makes cabs that will never die, ever. Made to be on the road for years. Even if you drop it off a building the cab will be OK. In other words, Adding more support is a fine option but not needed just for e-120's especially if the cab is in good shape and made well (professional). Enjoy your new sound!
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Re: Two E120s in a THD 2x12

Postby playingdead » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:58 am

According to the specs on THD's website, the 2X12 has a 1/2 inch birch baffle, so it should be just fine. If the current speakers are just bolted straight into the wood, you might add some t-nuts to avoid stripping the screw holes with the additional weight.

I would consider removing at least one of the two panels from the rear, though, if you're looking for authentic Jerry tone, as his cabinets were open back, not bass reflex designs. It would sound quite different otherwise, a lot more bass response.
playingdead

Return to Loudspeakers