Bobby's early effects

Bobby's early effects

Postby strumminsix » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:09 am

I'm struggling to identify early effects used my Mr. Weir. Is it safe to assume that somewhere in the mid 70s he likely just had a wah pedal since I believe I hear a sorta "parked wah" sound like in Scarlet / Fire?
strumminsix

Re: Bobby's early effects

Postby hogan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:27 am

some sort of phase w/ the speed turned way down. Think those throbbing opening chords to Jack Straw, BTWind, LL Rain etc. He was using a phase 100 in '76.
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby strumminsix » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:31 am

hogan wrote:some sort of phase w/ the speed turned way down. Think those throbbing opening chords to Jack Straw, BTWind, LL Rain etc. He was using a phase 100 in '76.

Ahh, I totally can hear that. Feeling silly but I kinda forgot about using a Phaser with the speed down.

(btw, it's almost impossible not to jump on the double entendres of turning down speed and throbbing)
strumminsix

Postby hogan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:42 pm

yeah, the only way I could have gayed this thread up anymore is if I typed it in pink.

fabulous!
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby FretfulDave » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:03 pm

hogan wrote:yeah, the only way I could have gayed this thread up anymore is if I typed it in pink.

fabulous!

tough thread to join, for sure. :x

I'll chip in here and say that when I saw them at the Cap Theater in Passaic in '77, I do not remember any pedals for Bob. None. Nothing in front of him at any rate. I was pretty darn close in a small theater. Jerry had a couple and not used too much. The wah, I saw Jerry park on some tunes but not *really* rock the pedal. Maybe searching for that sound that he eventually got from the Mutron?

I am vaguely thinking that maybe in '78 or so Bob started having a couple pedals. He never had many. Trying to remember if he ever parked a wah and I can't picture it. Maybe just not at my shows, which were pretty much one, maybe two a year.

Not much to offer here and fuzzy memories at best. But I guess they are the best. :cool:

Dave
The river keeps a talkin'
FretfulDave
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby zambiland » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:13 pm

I think in the very early 70s he might have had some Eventide boxes. You can hear some flange/chorus things going in '73/74 jams.
zambiland

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:35 am

eeeeee wrote:I think in the very early 70s he might have had some Eventide boxes. You can hear some flange/chorus things going in '73/74 jams.

Starting in '73, an Eventide Clockworks 1745 or 1745A digital delay and an Orban phase shifter. Something like that.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Return to Bobby Tone