Waldo's TPC1 Buffer

Waldo's TPC1 Buffer

Postby keirweir » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:41 am

I finally got around to putting Mike's buffer in my guitar. I should start by saying I purchased the original almost a year ago now. My tech at the time couldn't figure it out (and probably blew it). When my Resurrection was completed it wasn't working properly. I had them put in a CB2 buffer they had on hand and the guitar was shipped. Mike was kind enough to send me a new one straight up without question. I sent Mike the old one and it turns out there was an issue (I would adventure to say %99.9999 caused by my old guitar tech). Thanks for hooking me up Mike!

I plan on recording some proof but man... what a difference. I thought my guitar sounded good with the CB2. I turned my amp on and paused for a moment in silence to really prepare to listen hard to hear if there was any difference (honestly wasn't expecting much if any) and was completely surprised about how much better it sounded. Much more articulate, bright, sparkly (not thin) and just flat out JERRY. A fellow RUKINDER Some Rusty the scoob guy was there to witness this. We both kind of sat there shocked (at least I was). It was like (that’s the tone I have been searching for all of this time)

I would recommend the TPC1 to every guitar player out there no question. The small investment is worth it 10 fold.

I suppose its to late for A-B recordings but I will make some recordings.
keirweir

Re: Waldo's TPC1 Buffer

Postby jeffm725 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:06 am

keir,
I can second that, because I had a CB-1 in my Ibanez, which was a perfectly fine buffer. Waldo was kind enough to send me a beta version of his to test a couple years ago in my guitar, and I wasnt expecting that big a difference (after all, a buffer is a buffer and at unity gain it should be fairly transparent), however pretty much instantaneously on my first picked note I noticed a very defined difference.
Your description of
Much more articulate, bright, sparkly (not thin) and just flat out JERRY
was right on the money and exactly what I experienced.
Waldo hit the nail on the head with the TPC1.
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:23 am

Honestly, I was just standing there waiting to make sure it worked so I could start paking up tools.... I figured it'd be just some tiny little difference that only you nit-picky guitar players can hear. :lol: But I was wrong. My ears went "boing! There it is!"

I hear more crispness on the top end - reminds me a little bit of a 18kHz tweeter on a bass amp - you get more definition to the notes and a clearer attack without adding volume or mud to the mix. The body of the sound also seemed tighter but ballsier. I thought the guitar sounded great before, but Waldo's buffer made it come even more alive.

If I were a Jerry guy with a different buffer I'd have ordered a TPC1 this morning. As soon as I home I started wondering how it would sound and if it fit into the blue P-bass that I was hoping to keep passive. :lol:
Rusty the Scoob

Postby unnbrokenchain » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:42 pm

I just put one in my Carvin sh65. It sounds great! A real brilliant crisp sound, brought my guitar back to life. Now I don't have to rely on my Volume Boost 100% of the time.
unnbrokenchain
Mickey
Mickey

Postby JonnyBoy » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:53 pm

With some other home made buffers I made it interfered (squeals/feedback) with some of my pedals on the treble side. How pedal friendly is it? Is there a noticeable difference when this buffer on top of another buffer is made or does that even make a difference? I am a "do it yourself kinda guy" but I think I have to go ahead and admit defeat on making my own buffers, I have yet to make one I have liked.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby Emoto » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:22 am

JonnyBoy wrote:With some other home made buffers I made it interfered (squeals/feedback) with some of my pedals on the treble side. How pedal friendly is it? Is there a noticeable difference when this buffer on top of another buffer is made or does that even make a difference? I am a "do it yourself kinda guy" but I think I have to go ahead and admit defeat on making my own buffers, I have yet to make one I have liked.

I cannot address the question about a buffer on top of another.

As to Waldo's buffer being "pedal friendly" it is very much so. I go from my guitar with Waldo's buffer through an A/B switch (amp or effects first) into a whole bunch of effects pedals and they all work fine.
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Postby unnbrokenchain » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:43 am

Since I have put the TPC1 in all of my effects have sounded better! Absolutely no feedback from any of them. Envelope sounds a hell of a lot better and so do the distortions. A lot more tone and sound and no unwanted noise or hisses. I remember hearing that John Kadlecik made his own buffers and what not. He stopped because he figured he wasn't satisfied with any of the ones he built and he found out it was cheaper just to go out and buy one, saving more time and frustration.
unnbrokenchain
Mickey
Mickey

Postby myoung6923 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:45 am

unnbrokenchain wrote:I remember hearing that John Kadlecik made his own buffers and what not. He stopped because he figured he wasn't satisfied with any of the ones he built and he found out it was cheaper just to go out and buy one, saving more time and frustration.

He was using an EMG PA2 http://www.emginc.com/products/index/135/142/4 and removed the switch replacing with jumpers. He says that it's the same thing as the JG2 that EMG sells. EMG claims that the JG2 is a lower impedance than the PA2 - I don't know...
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

http://www.fennario.us
http://www.youtube.com/fennarioband
http://www.facebook.com/fennarioband
myoung6923

Postby keirweir » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:24 am

unnbrokenchain wrote:Since I have put the TPC1 in all of my effects have sounded better! Absolutely no feedback from any of them. Envelope sounds a hell of a lot better and so do the distortions. A lot more tone and sound and no unwanted noise or hisses. I remember hearing that John Kadlecik made his own buffers and what not. He stopped because he figured he wasn't satisfied with any of the ones he built and he found out it was cheaper just to go out and buy one, saving more time and frustration.

John K is now on the TPC1 if I am not mistaken?
keirweir

Postby unnbrokenchain » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:12 am

Waldo's website says so. But Caesound's website says the same thing too. I'm sure he uses the TPC1 now. He's used them all I guess.
unnbrokenchain
Mickey
Mickey

Postby jeffm725 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:22 am

unnbrokenchain wrote:Waldo's website says so. But Caesound's website says the same thing too. I'm sure he uses the TPC1 now. He's used them all I guess.

Both websites are probably accurate, John has many guitars...................
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby unnbrokenchain » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:44 am

He's played lots of stuff over the years. Now, he's got that walnut guitar on stage as a backup, don't know what it is. He's been using that quilted maple Carvin for a very long time now.
unnbrokenchain
Mickey
Mickey

Postby SpaceYrface43 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:07 pm

unnbrokenchain wrote:He's played lots of stuff over the years. Now, he's got that walnut guitar on stage as a backup, don't know what it is. He's been using that quilted maple Carvin for a very long time now.

That walnut guitar that your referring to i believe is a Vantage VP-820 nice looking guitars.
SpaceYrface43
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby waldo041 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:07 am

Glad i could help Keir! :cool:

as for John K's use, he stated to me he thru his TPC1 in just before the colorado run last tour. and the reason for the switch was because his CB1 failed on him.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby keirweir » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:45 am

Here is a recording of a new JGB project I just started up. This really showcases the TPC1 tone I am getting.

Here's a much smaller MP3 file

Dear Prudence

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2l5floqwhvirqfa
keirweir

Next

Return to Jerry Tone