Furthur ~ All Good!!!

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Furthur ~ All Good!!!

Postby waldo041 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:26 am

where are the nay sayers now? the ones who stated they didn't want to be covers of themselves or that they had moved on???

i am one who took much flack for the possibilites if they were to pick up John K.Not even a year in to there existence and have to say, imho, i was correct in my assumption! these boys are good!!!

http://www.archive.org/details/furthur2010-07-09.AKG481

just a little light baby!!!

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Re: Furthur ~ All Good!!!

Postby hogan » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:33 am

waldo041 wrote:where are the nay sayers now? the ones who stated they didn't want to be covers of themselves or that they had moved on???

They are on almost any internet BB that has anything to do w/ the GD. There are plenty of folks out there that think this is bush. I don't happen to be one of them. In fact, post your exact post on any other message board and you'll be balls deep in hate in no time.
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby Stevo123 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:50 am

I was there!!! Tremendous show! I get the sense that they really, really love to play festivals, because their energy was just through the roof. It's clear JK is no longer pretending to be the guy and now IS the guy. You can tell he's really getting comfortable with the role and is having a great time. He seemed like he was on cloud 9 all night lol. The songs are tight, the vocals have lots of energy, and the jamming is getting more sophisticated. Russo is settling in really nicely as the sole drummer and I don't really see why they would want or need to pick up a second drummer again. And Bob and Phil are playing better than ever, dropping bombs left and right! Can't freaking beat it. This band is not to be missed!!!
Stevo123
Mickey
Mickey

Postby tcsned » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:56 am

I was a skeptic of having someone who plays and sings so much like Jerry in that spot but I went to a show with an open mind and am now convinced that they absolutely made the right choice. The show I went to and everything I have heard from the other shows are better than any other post-Jerry stuff the boys have done IMHO. JK is the real deal I hope they continue this lineup for a while - at least long enough for them to make it to the southeast again. For the youngsters who didn't get to see the Grateful Dead this will give them as close to that experience as they are going to get. For those of us who were lucky . . . or old enough to have seen them it gives us one more moment in the sun.
tcsned

Postby Stevo123 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:21 pm

On a side note, DSO played Thursday night at All Good, and they're sounding as strong as ever. Jeff Mattson is a beast! It was pretty cool to DSO and Furthur play back to back nights. DSO really raged hard but after Furthur played there was obviously no comparison!
Stevo123
Mickey
Mickey

Postby mkaufman » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:27 pm

Anyone going to the Nokia? I'll be at the first show.

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman

Postby jdasa » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:26 am

There are two songs on the list I've never heard of (Celebration and Colors of the Rain). Anyone have some info on them (lyrics, writing credits etc...)

Celebration I really liked. Colors of the Rain sounded like it came out of the If the Shoe Fits/Childhood's End mold. Meh...
Listen to the thunder shout...
jdasa
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby Adam Deckard » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:13 am

hehe, it's my turn

hey i was there!
Adam Deckard
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby mttourpro » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:15 am

Celebration may be a song Phil and Friends had played for a while. may even be on their album. The other new one is called HuliGuli and sounds a lot like Pride of C. Not sure if Hunter helped write the new tunes or not....I know he wrote the lyrics to DSO's new original "Run Mary" so he's obviously still doing some writing. There was a thread about the lyrics on ratdog.org yesterday if interested.

FWIW, I heard a lot of very mixed reviews about the Allgood show and Furthur in general.....some people loved it while others said it was a bit "slow and deliberate" and liked other shows they saw a lot more.....shocker there, eh.

I really want to see them--hopefully this Fall---as I've liked what I've heard on the net plenty well and think they sound great....I'm especially struck by what a total bad-ass Jeff Chementi is as well. I have to wonder how the GD mightta been after Brent died if he could have played at that point in history.

EDIT--there's another new one called 7 hills of Gold and here's the lyrics for Colors of the Rain

Colors Of The Rain
Lyrics: Phil Lesh?
Music: Phil Lesh

A new Phil Lesh song played by Furthur. This is a first shot at the lyrics any help gratefully received.

[Scrap the ? silver rose]
Years roll by
You can doubt, you go
Songs I've sung
Growing old, growing young

[Hearten] now heard you said
Sing your song, [though the dance]
[Carve in the breeze, in the boys]
[Run ? run dry]

All the colors of the rain
All the colors of the dew

Colors of the rain
All the songs, all the days
All the doors
All the stages of the play
All the [?] before the [?]

Being through you
Being through you
Being through you

[?]
Compare
To be near
Play the game
Over time
Be the jewel

Just another birthday
Another ride, just the same
Just the same

Being through you
Being through you
Being through you

Being through you
Being through you
Being through you
http://www.thecausejams.com

let your life proceed by its own design....
mttourpro

Postby FretWilkes » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:28 am

mttourpro wrote:I'm especially struck by what a total bad-ass Jeff Chementi is as well. I have to wonder how the GD mightta been after Brent died if he could have played at that point in history.

I think they were just plain DONE after Brent died, or at least Jerry was. Out of all the keyboard players in the country that would have wanted that seat they chose Vince? I never understood that. It seemed like a "yeah whatever" move. And it didn't work. IMHO of course, but MHO happens to be correct.

Like at the end of 74, they needed a rest...put it away for a while and then...maybe. Instead they plodded on and the rest if history.
FretWilkes

Postby mttourpro » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:43 am

FretWilkes wrote:
mttourpro wrote:I'm especially struck by what a total bad-ass Jeff Chementi is as well. I have to wonder how the GD mightta been after Brent died if he could have played at that point in history.

I think they were just plain DONE after Brent died, or at least Jerry was. Out of all the keyboard players in the country that would have wanted that seat they chose Vince? I never understood that. It seemed like a "yeah whatever" move. And it didn't work. IMHO of course, but MHO happens to be correct.

Like at the end of 74, they needed a rest...put it away for a while and then...maybe. Instead they plodded on and the rest if history.

91-93 had it's moments and JGB was great in 93.

As for picking Vince---think "high vocal harmonies"

mttourpro

Postby tcsned » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:57 am

I thought most of the post-Brent shows i saw were pretty weak - some decent moments but not for the most part. I don't think it had anything to do with who they hired to play keys it was the core that was burning out and needed a break as FW points out. I love Chimenti's playing and he would have been great in that spot had he had the chance.
tcsned

Postby Naataanii » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:10 am

I may be the minority here but as good as JK is I still prefer the “Dead” lineup with Warren, I thought (think) his vocals and playing really brought the Dead “Furthur”. Anyone know what transpired that the incarnation of that lineup was so short lived? I don’t want to stir the pot (but I guess I already have to some extent) but put any of the songs that Furthur is jamming on now up against the same tunes in 09’ and I would be hard pressed to say that the intensity is higher now. Maybe Warren doesn’t sound like Jerry or doesn’t use the plethora of effects but wasn’t that kind of the point? I guess I may bit biased at the fact that I believe the core four are stronger than their individual parts. (Huge Billy, Mickey fan) with all being said, would I go see Furthur if they came out to my neck of the woods? Absolutely! Am I going to see Rhythm Devils in a couple weeks? You betcha!

Guess I just miss the chemistry the boyz have from playing 30 plus years together. Just my opinion here, Crucify me if you must but I’ll stick to my guns and like what I like.
:cool:
Hey, hey, come right away. Come and join the party everyday!
Naataanii
Brent
Brent

Postby FretWilkes » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:26 am

mttourpro wrote:91-93 had it's moments and JGB was great in 93.

As for picking Vince---think "high vocal harmonies"

Moments...yes. When I said DONE I mean with the DEAD at that point JGB was much more vital.

There was no other keyboard player in the wide US of A that could sing high harmonies and play? I still say it was a "yeah, whatever" moment.

The other attractive thing to me about Furthur is getting back to the one drummer. It makes the band light on their feet. Just listen to 71-74 with one drummer! Now I've seen many, many great 2 drummer shows, but I loved the "Billy The Drummer" years and I hear it echoed in the current Furthur lineup.
FretWilkes

Postby mttourpro » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:02 pm

There was no other keyboard player in the wide US of A that could sing high harmonies and play? I still say it was a "yeah, whatever" moment.

I totally agree but that's still why they picked up Vince---plus, whoever it was had to be available quickly as they obviously didn't want to cancel fall 90. They shouldda cancelled and made a better choice though.

mttourpro

Next

Return to Everything Else