New Jerry Amp/Preamp Page

New Jerry Amp/Preamp Page

Postby waldo041 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:43 am

some proof reading most likely needed, but this is the gist of it.

http://www.wald-electronics.com/preampmods_new.html

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Re: New Jerry Amp/Preamp Page

Postby jdsmodulus » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:49 am

Thank You! :hail:
jdsmodulus

Postby tcsned » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:59 am

Very cool Waldo - thanks!

I just switched back to my TRRI after using a Mesa Mark IV for a couple of years. I didn't think the difference would be as pronounced as it is. Loving it! I'll use it for a few more gigs then sell off the Mark IV and get Brad's preamp.
tcsned

Postby hogan » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:12 am

Cool read.
Re: Proof read
-no alembic in '67
- the Gaelic park gig was 8-26-71, not 8-8
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby playingdead » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:12 am

Interesting about the Crest power amp, Mike ... was that to power the early iteration of the MIDI gear?
playingdead

Postby waldo041 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:40 am

hogan wrote:Cool read.
Re: Proof read
-no alembic in '67
- the Gaelic park gig was 8-26-71, not 8-8

Thanks Hogan, corrections made!

playingdead wrote:Interesting about the Crest power amp, Mike ... was that to power the early iteration of the MIDI gear?

i thought that in the beginning, but the video's of there use show the signal LED/light as being for guitar use with tiger, and there is another video with wolf, and no midi being used. so, definately was used for analog guitar. still could have been used for midi also, but need to find proof or get proof that it was.

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby jdsmodulus » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:56 am

playingdead wrote:Interesting about the Crest power amp, Mike ... was that to power the early iteration of the MIDI gear?

I also employed a Crest amp for MIDI, I tried to run it seperate like JG but in the end it all goes at the same time. I do believe there was some experimenting with Crest instead of the Mac as well.
jdsmodulus

Postby gr8fullfred » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:47 am

Hey Waldo,

I am no expert on this stuff, but I remember reading (possibly in Pro Sound News at the time) that when the Dead moved to the in ear monitors, that what they did with Jerry's Speaker Box was move it under the stage and miked it. That took care of the guitar sound bleeding in to the vocal mikes. Same triple JBLs, in the box, possibly in another box miked under the stage. I was at one concert at Giants Stadium where apparently Jerry had a bad problem with his rig, possibly a blown speaker, and Jerry was not in the mix much if at all that show. It was the year that they brought out Unbroken Chain, and my first ever live UC was disappointing due to no Jerry in the mix.

Great job on all the info, Thanks Waldo,Fred
gr8fullfred
Jerry
Jerry

Postby mijknahs » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:38 pm

Great page Waldo! Thanks for your work. Amazing amount of research. I wish we could get some pics of the McIntosh tube amps (MC75) in the late 60's or early 70's.

Jim
mijknahs

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:45 pm

Great job Mike, you have preserved some of the most important information of our time. I think it is important. How can one understand good tone unless you know how it developed from simple tube amps to digital processors? And IMO Jerry Garcia's work with these sound pirates of the golden age produced tones that we love.

Thanks Mike!!
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:40 am

gr8fullfred wrote: I was at one concert at Giants Stadium where apparently Jerry had a bad problem with his rig, possibly a blown speaker, and Jerry was not in the mix much if at all that show. It was the year that they brought out Unbroken Chain, and my first ever live UC was disappointing due to no Jerry in the mix.

All of 1995 was like that, not just one show. According to Cutler, it was because Jerry was purposely keeping the volume pot set very low on his guitar- which is something the sound crew cannot remedy.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby KCJones » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:26 pm

Beautiful rundown man. Thanks for your hard work and thoroughness! :peas:
KCJones
Billy
Billy

Location: Kansas City, MO via Buffalo NY, San Diego CA, San Jose CA and Wash DC

Postby JonnyBoy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:44 pm

"Who gives a f%$# what f%$#ing capacitors were in Jer’s amps. By the way Jer had lots of amps. All you twits seem to think there’s some rarefied air around this bunch of junk which is pure bullsh!#."

Lemme guess, Dan?
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby hogan » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:05 pm

JonnyBoy wrote:"Who gives a f%$# what f%$#ing capacitors were in Jer’s amps. By the way Jer had lots of amps. All you twits seem to think there’s some rarefied air around this bunch of junk which is pure bullsh!#."

Lemme guess, Dan?

I'd bet dollars to donuts it was Bear.
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby jeffm725 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:33 am

hogan wrote:
JonnyBoy wrote:"Who gives a f%$# what f%$#ing capacitors were in Jer’s amps. By the way Jer had lots of amps. All you twits seem to think there’s some rarefied air around this bunch of junk which is pure bullsh!#."

Lemme guess, Dan?

I'd bet dollars to donuts it was Bear.

I Second that on it being Bear.

Because:

John Cutler: is too kind of a guy to call us twits... :smile:

Steve parish : he would have no problem calling us twits but the rest of the quote doesn't really fit him...

Ron Wickersham: Dont really know, but my gut says it isnt him

Janet Furman: From her posts on this board, I am fairly certain she doesn't think of this as an excercise of "Twits"

Dan Healy: I could believe this quote is from him if it turned out to be confirmed and he would be my second guess after Bear.
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Next

Return to Jerry Tone