Sarnomusicsolutions dirt box

Sarnomusicsolutions dirt box

Postby williamsaut » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:29 pm

Hey I just picked up an SMS dirt box today. I don't know if anyone else on this forum besides the maker has tried one of these but the preliminary is A+. This pedal captures the MXR Dist+ AND MORE. It dials back better and has the best sounding range from clean to saturated that I think I've heard yet. I don't have to dime the left knob to match my clean tone. Very useful pedal. I like the 'vertical' setting on the little mini-toggle better for my single coil sound. More cutting.

Brad, You made a little plug for this pedal somewhere here a while ago but I can't find it. Hat's off. Do you still make it? Made any other pedals? There's none on SMS website.

I'll A/B it with my script logo Dist+ at the next gig and chime in again.

Will
When the secrets all are told,
And the petals all unfold.
williamsaut
Keith
Keith

Re: Sarnomusicsolutions dirt box

Postby JonnyBoy » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:23 am

Yes Brad I would be interested in your product info/description of this pedal. Are we talking the transparent dirt?
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby williamsaut » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:57 pm

JonnyBoy wrote:Yes Brad I would be interested in your product info/description of this pedal. Are we talking the transparent dirt?

Yes, 'transparent' is the word. Note separation is better than most and the fully saturated single note sound is very sweet sounding.
williamsaut
Keith
Keith

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:18 am

I only made 50 of those SMS Dirt Boxes. It's an interesting circuit using two transistors instead of an opamp, but does also use the reversed pair of clipping diodes like the MXR Dist+ pedal. It's almost a hybrid of a silicon Fuzz Face (sort of) and an MXR Dist+. It generates a bit of dirt in both places, where the MXR only generates dirt with the clipping diode pair. It is a pretty transparent and clear sound that doesn't dull the top end as so many pedals will.

I'm currently working on an overdrive pedal design that has a very flat and open EQ response, and with a real mild, almost "tubey" kind of drive. Designed to fatten up single coils and also help people with super clean, loud rigs get a natural clipping at any volume. Personaly, I'm wanting it to help us Jerry-heads dial in either a bit of subtle peak clipping, or even go a bit heavier to get a more '71, '72 Jerry dirt as he got with his McIntosh tube power amps. Currently Jeff Mattson is using a prototype of this pedal, and I'm pretty sure he leaves it on all the time. I hope to have them rolling and in production by the fall. John Kadlecik was using one briefly this past spring, but it died on him. It was probably some slop on my part when I hand built the thing. It's a pretty cool pedal, doesn't over EQ or "voice" the tone, lets the guitar sound like itself, and also lets the amp rig sound like itself. Just puts a bit of smoothing and fattening and warm dirt on top. I don't have a name for this pedal yet.

Brad
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:58 am

maybe name it Dark Star overdrive or the eleven box. hot mud overdrive? maybe Sarno's magical mystery box of Jerry-like overdrive. 8) I guess waiting a few more months won't hurt ....
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby jkstraw » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:51 am

+1 add me to the pre-order/waiting list :-)
jkstraw
Jerry
Jerry

Postby williamsaut » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:18 pm

Yes Brad,

You could also consider one or two of those already sold to me also when everything comes together.

Will
williamsaut
Keith
Keith

Postby Chuckles » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:26 am

jkstraw wrote:+1 add me to the pre-order/waiting list :-)

Ditto
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Postby unnbrokenchain » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:08 am

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:I only made 50 of those SMS Dirt Boxes. It's an interesting circuit using two transistors instead of an opamp, but does also use the reversed pair of clipping diodes like the MXR Dist+ pedal. It's almost a hybrid of a silicon Fuzz Face (sort of) and an MXR Dist+. It generates a bit of dirt in both places, where the MXR only generates dirt with the clipping diode pair. It is a pretty transparent and clear sound that doesn't dull the top end as so many pedals will.

I'm currently working on an overdrive pedal design that has a very flat and open EQ response, and with a real mild, almost "tubey" kind of drive. Designed to fatten up single coils and also help people with super clean, loud rigs get a natural clipping at any volume. Personaly, I'm wanting it to help us Jerry-heads dial in either a bit of subtle peak clipping, or even go a bit heavier to get a more '71, '72 Jerry dirt as he got with his McIntosh tube power amps. Currently Jeff Mattson is using a prototype of this pedal, and I'm pretty sure he leaves it on all the time. I hope to have them rolling and in production by the fall. John Kadlecik was using one briefly this past spring, but it died on him. It was probably some slop on my part when I hand built the thing. It's a pretty cool pedal, doesn't over EQ or "voice" the tone, lets the guitar sound like itself, and also lets the amp rig sound like itself. Just puts a bit of smoothing and fattening and warm dirt on top. I don't have a name for this pedal yet.

Brad

Put my name on the waiting list too Brad! I remember you mentioning this when you were talking about Jeff's rig. It sounds to me it's going further into the production process which is good! Sooner the better, but of course get all the bugs out first. I would love to have it in my rack though, and not in pedal form. I barely have enough pedal space on my board as it is. I'm tired of getting my clipping from my booster before my amp. I sound more like John than Jerry. I would love to see a product out there that just nails the authenticity we're looking for.
unnbrokenchain
Mickey
Mickey

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:07 am

We are officially moving forward on the new overdrive pedal, yet to be named. My CAD engineer and I are in the process of getting the circuit board laid out and also the metalwork designed. I'd like to have these available within 8 to 12 weeks.

Brad
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby tcsned » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:25 am

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:We are officially moving forward on the new overdrive pedal, yet to be named. My CAD engineer and I are in the process of getting the circuit board laid out and also the metalwork designed. I'd like to have these available within 8 to 12 weeks.

Brad

awesome! I take one too :hail:
tcsned

Postby waldo041 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:30 am

Very Cool! 8)

for a name, how about "The SMS Shocker" :cool:

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby jkstraw » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:02 am

+1 for supply and demand! Great news Brad - can't wait - should be another win!
jkstraw
Jerry
Jerry

Postby strumminsix » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:03 am

Maybe a name the pedal thread and winner gets a prize like maybe a signed production SN #1?

I'm officially tossing in my suggestion: OverDirt
strumminsix

Postby jkstraw » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:11 am

How about: SMS JD-1 (Jerry Drive)
jkstraw
Jerry
Jerry

Next

Return to Jerry Tone