Jerry's Effect on Estimated

Chat about Equipment Info

Jerry's Effect on Estimated

Postby SpaceYRface43 » Fri May 14, 2004 4:56 pm

I love the fat wah sound jerry gets in Estimeated Prophet. I was wondering if anyone know's what effect he is using to get this sounds????
SpaceYRface43

Postby Guest » Fri May 14, 2004 6:57 pm

hes using a mutron im pretty sure.

Postby Guest » Sat May 15, 2004 6:35 am

its called an envelope filter, any guitar store has them

Postby Guyute24 » Sat May 15, 2004 8:28 am

Jerry used a Mutron Envelope Filter. Although Mutronics is no longer in business (i think), you can get a couple different envelope filters by different makers. I believe DOD and BOSS both make them, for pretty cheap, but there's also a couple higher end ones by Q-Tronics (or something like that) it's called a Q-Tron, and they have a mini Q-Tron too. Michael Kang of String Cheese Incident uses a Q-Tron, and maybe Trey does too. check out ebay, they've always got some of them up there, and sometimes you can find original Mutrons there too, peace, michaelo
Guyute24
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Location: Dark Star Crashes... Pouring it's light into ashes.

Postby wishfullthinking » Sun May 23, 2004 2:13 pm

Q-tron's were designed by the guy that made the mutron. they are distributed by electro-harmonix. also jerry used the mutron III
wishfullthinking

Postby Chris_G » Mon May 24, 2004 4:45 pm

Yeah i use a DOD envelope filter, ontop of a Boss Dynamic Wah pedal on sharp mode, with a few adjustments... and it gets it done pretty well..
Chris_G

Postby jahozer » Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:25 pm

I think the key to taming some of those non mutron envelope filters is a lot of compression up front. I have a DOD and I hate it, except for this crazy sub-base sound I get when I peg the knobs. I use an autowah feature in an ax1g (kinda cheesey, but I get a killer jerry sound form it).
Mutron III is what Jerry used. about 300 bucks for the vintage ones if you can find em. THere is a reissue and you can buy the boutiques/clones ones.
Try http://www.analogman.com
jahozer

Postby jahozer » Mon May 09, 2005 8:26 am

Update on my last comment...not that any one will read it or anything...
I have found that I like the DOD (the old green monster with 2 knobs) better than the autowah in my cheesy multifx. I have discovered that while its a bit counterintuitive, place compression AFTER the envelope. What this does is allow the effect to still be controlled by the dynamics of your playing, but rounds out and somewhat tames the resulting quack.
Now, I have been able to listen to my friends mutron III, and that is definately the tits. Warm and vowel like. It uses photo cell resitors that are unavailable anymore. Truly an amazing pedal. BUT it is expensive. My setup gives me a close aproximation but not the real deal. I really wish I had a mutron. One thing to remember, though, is do NOT get a mutron III +. That is not the same pedal. It is a crap knockoff and people are selling it for the same as the real mutrons.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.- the girl from the bus
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Mutron III

Postby somaguyjt » Tue May 10, 2005 4:06 pm

i COULD be wrong, and it might be a +, but im pretty sure the mutron III's on www.americanmusical.com/item--i-haz%2OmutronIII.html are authentic. They may be reissues, which might be what you were talking about with the +, but ive heard nothing but rave reviews so i say check-em out
"without love in a dream itll never come true"-jerry garcia
somaguyjt
Vince
Vince

Re: Mutron III

Postby jhc » Thu May 12, 2005 2:43 pm

somaguyjt wrote:i COULD be wrong, and it might be a +, but im pretty sure the mutron III's on www.americanmusical.com/item--i-haz%2OmutronIII.html are authentic. They may be reissues, which might be what you were talking about with the +, but ive heard nothing but rave reviews so i say check-em out

That's the HAZ reissue. I do hear its pretty sweet though... I bet it would nail Jerry's sound pretty darn well.

Heres the URL again - the other one didnt work for me...

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i- ... ONIII.html

Here are some reviews:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/ ... I_-01.html
jhc
Keith
Keith

Postby strumminsix » Fri May 13, 2005 9:17 am

This HAZ brand is a re-issue or modeller of the original. If anyone is interested in modellors, the Line 6 POD XT series has the M3 modelled quite nicely. "Auto Wah" for M3 UP, "Dingo Tron" for the M3 down.

I play Bobby in my GD tribute band. However I worked up a nice Estimated patch on my XT using the Auto Wah and had my lead guitarist drooling who has the Green Envelope.
strumminsix

Postby waldo041 » Thu May 19, 2005 11:43 am

the haz labs mutronIII + is nothing like the musitronics mutron III. for one it does not use the optoisolators like the original which give it THAT sound. although electro harmonix has teamed up with the creator of the original and sells a Q-tron that uses a majority of the original circuit plus some newer amenities like true bypass and tighten up the design. another way for the ambitious is to try and make your own. there is a sight that sells the optoisolators
( http://www.smallbearelec.com/home.html ) and you can get all the info for the neutron filter at http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/dia ... filter.pdf which is a break down of the original mutron in a new layout

general guitar gadgets even sells the boards for the neutron filter. all you need is a little soldering skills and patience. i actully cloned my mutron and have an identical copy of my original. hope this helps. peace, waldo
waldo041

Postby LooksLikeRain » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:08 am

this is what im curious about....

i have an MXR 12 auto q, and i know jerry liked MXR so i got this because mutron was to expensive and this is before i knew about the mini q(which sounds EXACTLY the same) i want to get jerrys fat tone and i know the mutron III went threw a mutron octiave overdrive...so this is my QUESTION..

Could that be the secret to jerrys fat tone because my mxr pedal sucks and it sounds to high pitched like a wah on sharp.
LooksLikeRain
Vince
Vince

Postby whitelacestrange » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:31 pm

can you just use a cry baby pedal? thats all i got.
we must become ourselves before someone else does
- Robert Hunter
whitelacestrange
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby strumminsix » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:21 pm

An envelope and a Wah are different. However, if you have a Wah that is very flexible and you play with it long enough you will likely get a good and close sound out of it.
strumminsix

Next

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion