Phantom powering a bass?

Phantom powering a bass?

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:20 pm

Yes, that smell of burnt toast means that my wheels are spinning less than 24 hours after getting my new bass. :lol:

The Starfire has two Bartolini preamps which can each be run at either 9V or 18V and a buffer that can be run at at least 9V, maybe more. 18 + 18 + 9 = 45, or close enough to the 48V that most boards put out for phantom power. I've yet to find an onboard bass preamp that didn't sound fatter and punchier with a little extra voltage pumped into it.

I'm already running a small mixing board to equalize the output of my various basses on stage to make switching quick and easy. What would it take to put that phantom power to work? Could it be done via XLR cable?
Rusty the Scoob

Re: Phantom powering a bass?

Postby waldo041 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:47 pm

a transformer! seriously, you'll fry(smell burnt toast) each one of those devices throwing 48volts at them, voltage doesn't work that way.

you need an 18 volt tap that will have enough amps for each 18volt device, AND a 9volt tap with the needed amount of amps for it. so you'll need to research your current draw as well.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby jeffm725 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:55 pm

rather than phantom power, I would look into how Alembic and Ibanez used outboard Boxes and cabling to power onboard instrument active electronics. Your solution lies there, young jedi.........
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby waldo041 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:42 pm

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:08 pm

Awesome! :cool: I'm looking into the voltage and current requirements of the EZQs and D-TAR buffer. With any luck they will overlap so one power supply can handle both. They're both running on separate 9V batteries now so they must be at least somewhat compatible, right?

If not perhaps I can run the two voltages as a 4-pin connector of some sort, separate from the regular 1/4" output. People can think I have an OBEL on the bass. :lol:
Rusty the Scoob

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:18 pm

Haven't found the current draw requirements for either device yet but it looks like I have a green light to run the whole thing at either 9v or 18v.

http://www.d-tar.com/eclipse.shtml

http://www.bestbassgear.com/wiring-diagrams/ezq.pdf

I suppose if we supply about as much current as one or two 9V batteries can provide it should be safe, right? Maybe a fuse or circuit-breaker could be wired in for protection?

What is "18V bipolar power"?
Rusty the Scoob

Return to Phil Sound