Finally, my Starfire has arrived!

Finally, my Starfire has arrived!

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:10 pm

New bass day for me! It's a DeArmond Starfire - made by Fender in Korea sometime in the 90's? 00's? I think.

My friend modified it with a D-Tar buffer which I believe was designed by Rick Turner and is now discontinued, two Dark Star pickups, and a Bartolini EZQ for each pickup, which according to their website is a: "parametric filter capable of low pass, band pass or high pass performance with adjustable frequency and Q - 9 volt or 18 volt" So I'm still a little bit confused by all the knobs but it sure sounds good!

Starfire.jpg
Starfire.jpg (58.21 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
Rusty the Scoob

Re: Finally, my Starfire has arrived!

Postby javalina » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:18 pm

Congratulations! That looks awesome!
javalina
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby jackr » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:25 am

Congrats, it looks great. There sure are a lot of wires going on in that lower F hole.
On tour '76 - '81
Clean & Sober since '87
jackr

Postby jkstraw » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:00 am

Awesome looking bass! Congratulations!
jkstraw
Jerry
Jerry

Postby strumminsix » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:25 am

WOW! Beautiful! Congrats!
strumminsix

Postby tcsned » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:50 am

Sweet Rusty! Have you gigged with it yet? If so how'd she do? Our bassist has been thinking of getting one - he had a Guild back in the 60s but let it go when I was still in Kindergarten ;)

Is it pretty light? Slash (our bassist) sold me his '73 P-Bass and got one of those Sting signature P basses 'cause it was lighter - I think he replaced the pickup, had the frets dressed, and neck tweaked. Been trying to get him to sing "Roxanne" to no avail . . .
tcsned

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:40 am

Thanks, all!

I did half a Fennario Wednesday on it last September when my friend came up and let me borrow it for a gig - which made my decision very easy when he offered to sell it to me.

Sounds great and plays great - neck is thin and easy, sound is big, warm, round and woody but still very clear and articulate, with better attack and note definition than my custom/Warmoth bass - and that was before I even touched the filters.

It's right around the weight of a regular 4-string P-bass, I think... my custom bass is 13.5 lbs so everything else feels light to me. :lol: I'll put it on the bathroom scale tonight.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:40 am

tcsned wrote:Sweet Rusty! Have you gigged with it yet? If so how'd she do? Our bassist has been thinking of getting one - he had a Guild back in the 60s but let it go when I was still in Kindergarten ;)

Is it pretty light? Slash (our bassist) sold me his '73 P-Bass and got one of those Sting signature P basses 'cause it was lighter - I think he replaced the pickup, had the frets dressed, and neck tweaked. Been trying to get him to sing "Roxanne" to no avail . . .

Sting has a signature P-bass? Weird, because I have rarely seen him play anything but that beautiful sunburst Tele bass.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:50 am

The original P-basses including Sting's looked just like Teles. The classic P-bass shape that we're used to didn't come about until 1957 or so.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby jeffm725 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:15 am

love the starfire, that is awesome! Great get!
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby tcsned » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:04 am

tigerstrat wrote:
tcsned wrote:Sweet Rusty! Have you gigged with it yet? If so how'd she do? Our bassist has been thinking of getting one - he had a Guild back in the 60s but let it go when I was still in Kindergarten ;)

Sting has a signature P-bass? Weird, because I have rarely seen him play anything but that beautiful sunburst Tele bass.

Yeah, I'm not sure if the Tele bass was a Fender name or just what it got called by everyone and it was originally called the "P" in the 50s or what but I believe Fender sells it as a Precision. I seem to remember them making those things in the 70s too. It's a MIJ bass not super expensive but Slash has it sounding really good though with some set up work.
tcsned

Postby tcsned » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:05 am

btw - have you gigged with it yet? Post some audio when you do.
tcsned

Postby cosmicbass » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:10 pm

Nice bass! That looks like a lot of fun to tweak different sounds out with.
cosmicbass
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Return to Phil Sound