Time-Based Effects Without Effects Loop

Time-Based Effects Without Effects Loop

Postby brutusbuck45 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:25 am

Sure, I know that its mostly personal preference where your effects "go" in your chain and if want it in the loop (after pre). I have always used the 'Tron, Octave, and Dirt before the preamp and Phase and Delay in the loop- pretty common stuff for around here, so it would seem. So, keeping in mind this is without the use of an OBEL, what are some thoughts on the placement of time-based effects (i.e. delay, phase, etc) when an effects loop is not physically available in a combo amp? I have an opinion on it but I am curious what others might consider.
brutusbuck45
Phil
Phil

Re: Time-Based Effects Without Effects Loop

Postby unnbrokenchain » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:52 am

I Keep mine towards the end. I have guitar < Alembic Stratoblaster < Qtron < Boss OD < MXR Dist < MXR Phase < MXR Delay < Boss Chorus < Amp Selector. Weird little things bother me like little hums and buzzes from amps, cables and what not, but I set my delay there cuz everyone else recommends it, I never really heard a difference in any other spot for the delay
unnbrokenchain
Mickey
Mickey

Postby waldo041 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:06 am

unnbrokenchain wrote:I Keep mine towards the end. I have guitar < Alembic Stratoblaster < Qtron < Boss OD < MXR Dist < MXR Phase < MXR Delay < Boss Chorus < Amp Selector. Weird little things bother me like little hums and buzzes from amps, cables and what not, but I set my delay there cuz everyone else recommends it, I never really heard a difference in any other spot for the delay

time based effects should be last in the chain, or in the amps effects loop with delay and reverb being at the very end. why? because you want to feed those either or both of those two the other effects when using either or both WITH another effect unit at the same time. your distortion pedal would not be as purty with a delay feeding it nor an envelope filter,octdiv, fuzz, phaser,flanger, etc etc... you can feasibly do whatever you want , but it may not get the results you want.

you shouldn't hear a difference in the delay anywhere in the chain IF you don't use it with other effects.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby myoung6923 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:08 am

I would like to have my delay and "backup reverb" NOT in my OBEL loop - here's why... when I bypass my OBEL I'd like to still have delay in the signal. I haven't figured out how to do this in a simple way way without having to cable up a bunch of stuff every gig.

My backup reverb is a Holy Grail that I use just in case my Twin's reverb takes a dive.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

http://www.fennario.us
http://www.youtube.com/fennarioband
http://www.facebook.com/fennarioband
myoung6923

Postby Pete B. » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:18 am

If you use a volume pedal (I do), I run Oct>MuIII before the V-ped, and run reverb and/or deley after the volume pedal in order to "preserve the trails maaaan" [waiving hand in front of face] :D ... Otherwise you will chop off the 'verb tails or delay repeats with the volume pedal (assuming you ride the V-ped like an expression pedal, as I like to do).
Pete B.

Postby waldo041 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:23 am

myoung6923 wrote:I would like to have my delay and "backup reverb" NOT in my OBEL loop - here's why... when I bypass my OBEL I'd like to still have delay in the signal. I haven't figured out how to do this in a simple way way without having to cable up a bunch of stuff every gig.

My backup reverb is a Holy Grail that I use just in case my Twin's reverb takes a dive.

reverb makes sense, and imo, the delay is fine out of the loop as long as it is last in the chain. your reverb already resides out of the OBEL so that is a given and rightly so because you would still want reverb on the clean off state of the OBEL. and as long as the delay is true bypassed in or out of the OBEL is non essential. that said, i rather use the delay in the OBEL.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby tcsned » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:47 am

waldo041 wrote:
myoung6923 wrote:I would like to have my delay and "backup reverb" NOT in my OBEL loop - here's why... when I bypass my OBEL I'd like to still have delay in the signal. I haven't figured out how to do this in a simple way way without having to cable up a bunch of stuff every gig.

reverb makes sense, and imo, the delay is fine out of the loop as long as it is last in the chain. your reverb already resides out of the OBEL so that is a given and rightly so because you would still want reverb on the clean off state of the OBEL. and as long as the delay is true bypassed in or out of the OBEL is non essential. that said, i rather use the delay in the OBEL.

peace,
waldo

this makes sense Waldo. I think where you put your delay in or out of the OBEL would depend on how you use your delay. If you run delay all the time to fatten things up then I would think outside the OBEL is essential. If you use it sparingly or with a pretty saturated effect with long feedback then inside makes sense.
tcsned

Postby brutusbuck45 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:46 am

So... in the instance that there is not an OBEL and the combo amp also does not have an effects loop (single input practice amp), my order/chain looks like this:

(10 minutes of fun with MS Paint) :-)
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (56.19 KiB) Viewed 411 times
brutusbuck45
Phil
Phil

Postby JonnyBoy » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:54 pm

I pictured in my mind you looking different than that... :cool: I run my Gdec the same way when I practice..

Jerry in red
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby brutusbuck45 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:52 pm

Oh yea... sorry. Wrong look. How about this one?

Untitled3.jpg
Untitled3.jpg (10.99 KiB) Viewed 351 times
brutusbuck45
Phil
Phil

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:57 am

HA! Again, I spit beer on my computer.

As for putting the Delay or reverb out of the obel, just run it off the main cord from the guitar running to the Preamp or amp. guitar->monocord->reverb->preamp or amp. both signals get processed OBEL and guitar.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Return to Jerry Tone