Best Jerry Tone

Re: Best Jerry Tone

Postby waldo041 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:02 am

jeffm725 wrote:got one right here! :smile: November 1978 Mark 2a (one of the earliest mark 2a's according to Mike B at Mesa) switchcable 60/100 watt version with Reverb and No EQ .

cool!

does your have fetron?

if so what's the numbers on it?

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby jeffm725 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:48 am

yes it has a fetron......I will have to give you the numbers when I get home but something like T1007 or something like that rings a bell (like I said I will post the exact number when I get home, it is written there in Black Sharpie which is normal for all the labeling underneath the old boogies....I actually still have the fetron which is rare as I understand....right now I have a 12ax7 in place of the Fetron as you can swap back and forth. There is a switch underneath that you toggle back and forth depending whether you have the fetron or the 12ax7 in there. I get more gain out of the fetron.
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby jeffm725 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:53 am

just called home to the wife to look at the amp as the fetron number was driving me batty! I was close.......

It is labeled "TR1009"
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby waldo041 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:03 pm

jeffm725 wrote:just called home to the wife to look at the amp as the fetron number was driving me batty! I was close.......

It is labeled "TR1009"

thanks jeff!

i know your into the mesa amps, do you know, was Jerry's Mark 1 the later model that used the Fetron also?

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby jeffm725 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:17 pm

Yes Waldo, from what I understand the later Mark 1's were the first to use the Fetron's ....The Mark 2a's and some 2B's were the last to use the Fetron.... so as you can surmise the Fetron was a pretty short lived experiment. In fact the way they sold the amps back then with the Fetron's is that they shipped the amps with the Fetron installed but also included a nylon clip screwed on the inside of the cabinet that held a 12ax7 as a replacement choice for the Fetron. If you ever see an amp for sale that still has that clip to hold the spare 12ax7 you know you are getting an amp that most likely has been taken care of! Mine didnt have the clip but had the Fetron. It was only around for a few years.

As far as if Jerry's Mark 1 (and by that I take it you mean the Mesas he played in 75-76 before returning to the Twin in Oct 76) I would say that no it did not have a Fetron. I think the Fetron started sometime in 1977. You never know though. They always got their gear off the production lines faster than everyone else!

And to add one more edit :smile: ........ The 1980 amp definitely had the Fetron. And from the sound of that Winter 80 tour I think he chose to use it over the 12ax7......
jeffm725

Postby jmfranc » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:14 am

I love this topic. Listening to Dicks Picks 32 (Alpine Valley, East Troy , 8/7/82) and I would love the tone from this China Cat.
jmfranc
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby bdhact1 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:27 am

My favorite tone is from Rosebud. Best example is "Birdsong" from "Without A Net". Jerry's Melodies with the clean tone is absolutely beautiful; And the flute sound from the midi with his choices of melodies is just breathtaking. He sounds just like a seasoned Flutist.
bdhact1
Terrapin
Terrapin

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone