Best JBL copycat speakers??

Re: Best JBL copycat speakers??

Postby JonnyBoy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:26 pm

Marlow wrote:
    Peavey 1203 (Black Widow) -- 350 watts, 16 pounds, 4" voice coil, $130. Apparently older ones sound better (pre-1983? can't remember exact year)

Yhea the Peavy speakers you want are the model# 1204 or 1201 with the metal dust cap from the late 70's to mid 80's. The widdows today are like using the JBL's today, they are for PA's. I don't think you would be happy with a modern widdow.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby aiq » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:36 pm

I have Weber neo 110's in my Vibrolux (CVR) and they are very JBLish. Back in the day I had a JBL equipted Twin, this rig sounds like a half version of that.

I haven't played the others.

What is the group's definition of the "JBL sound"?

To me it's glassy clarity while retaining warmth. Classic dualism 8) .
aiq
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby zambiland » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:43 pm

I blew up my K120 and by a stroke of luck found a cancelled special order Commonwealth at a music store in La Crosse WI. I bought it for $80 to get me through the rest of the tour, but I ended up keeping it in that cabinet. I find it to be a very nice speaker indeed, a lot heavier than the K120, but definitely in the same ballpark as the JBL sound. Bear in mind that I do play bass through these things. It gets my thumbs up for the price.

Edwin
zambiland

Postby mijknahs » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:51 pm

So Edwin, you play bass through the JBL 120 series? What kind of speaker setup?
mijknahs

Postby zambiland » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:14 pm

mijknahs wrote:So Edwin, you play bass through the JBL 120 series? What kind of speaker setup?

One or two Joe's Thiele cabs with JBL K-120s (or at this point, a K-120 and Commonwealth) and McCauley 15" in a Thiele cab made by one of my old student.

Here's a pic, but it's been updated now with a Classic pre and a Crest CA9. The JBL is in the top cabinet.
Attachments
bassrig-2.jpg
bassrig-2.jpg (93.15 KiB) Viewed 981 times
zambiland

Postby modz » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:12 am

^ In the early days of the Schwag Jimmy T (bassist) used 2 Thiele 12" cabs and 2 15" Thiele cabs in stereo. I had 2 Thiele cabs with JBL's and later EV 12 l's. I loved those gigs and sounds. Nice bass rig TC.
Tracy Lowe from Festus, MO
http://www.soundscaperproductions.com/
modz
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby Marlow » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:21 pm

Here's a link to an MP3 file that A/B's a JBL D120 against a bunch of different Webers. It's from a guy over at the Weber forum. It's really useful as a sampling of different speakers and as a benchmark for the JBL sound:

http://www.seanet.com/~pauls/Jbl_ish_speakers_and_Mich_edited.mp3

Again, to my ear the Cali (paper dome here, though) sounds most JBL-like, but I'll listen again.
Marlow
Brent
Brent

Postby JonnyBoy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:43 pm

That was cool marlow, I wonder how much the age of the speaker cone has to do with the tone? The JBL is much different to my ears, but the others sound nice too... I found out with my Emmi's that copycats can't get you there exactly, but close. I was thinking i am also comparing 30 year old paper to 6 month old paper in my mind. There has to be something to that. I would like to hear a newly coned JBL against a vintage cone and see the difference. Has anyone A/B'd that?
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby Marlow » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:00 am

I've never heard a comparison between a JBL D120 in a new cone and a vintage, but a new cone would have to be a re-cone to be new, and then we're into a whole other set of variables.

You're right, though: the JBL in that sound file sure has a distinctive voice. It's the only one in the series where I hear a little shimmer of '72.
Marlow
Brent
Brent

Postby erock » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:23 am

a slight high jack, slight,

anyone know how to date the black widows? I just picked up a twin (for a song) that had them in, and in addition to the serial number had "patent Applied For" on the back of em. I'm thinking these were early in their production
erock
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Previous

Return to Loudspeakers