Best Jerry Tone

Best Jerry Tone

Postby mijknahs » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:08 am

Ok, for those of you who think Jerry's 80's Tiger tone is the best and therefore you pursue that tone with a Super 2 in the middle position, UGB, OBEL, upgraded Fender Twin or SMS Classic, JBL's, etc...

What is the prime example of "THE TONE" you are really going after. I'm asking for the show, recording, etc. Just looking for ONE show that is the quintessential JERRY TONE for you. The one that whenever you listen to it, you are still blown away by the incredible tone.

For me, although I like a lot of Jerry's tone from '84, my quintessential JERRY TONE recording is Jerry Garcia Band from the Saddlerack, San Jose, CA 3/7/1982. Get a good recording of that show and soak up the TONE.

I'd love to hear about your favorite example of the JERRY TONE you are searching for.

Thanks,
Jim
mijknahs

Re: Best Jerry Tone

Postby JonnyBoy » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:30 am

I have listened to many shows and I still wish I could have been at the Great American Music Hall for the One From the Vault recording. I think its because the recording is so HiFi for a live recording compared to all the other tapes I listened to at the time, that is until Dicks Picks began to remaster our favorite tapes for us to have on CD. When I try to adjust tone I look to Help/Slip on the one from the vault.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby mijknahs » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:34 am

So, you're looking for the 1975 tone?
mijknahs

Postby strumminsix » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:49 pm

1972 @ The Tivoli!!! Especially watching Jerry failing to pull that big Bozo mask over his 'fro!
strumminsix

Postby mijknahs » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:37 pm

Ok. But I want to know about those pursuing the "Dimarzio Super 2s, JBL E120s, etc." Tiger tone. What is your ultimate Tiger tone recording/show? The one that is the "cat's meow" of Tiger tone.
mijknahs

Postby JonnyBoy » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:13 am

Oh, super II cat meow stuff, for sure 1981 and 1982. Rainbow in England ( one of my favorite shows), Rockaplast, and Radio City time frame. Meow.
JonnyBoy

Postby mijknahs » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:12 am

Super IIs didn't come along until 1982 so you're best off using DiMarzio Super Distortions (Dual Sounds) if you want the Dead Ahead/Rockaplast sound.
mijknahs

Postby tigerstrat » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:40 am

"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby JonnyBoy » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:50 pm

Yhea you're right, I usually think of his tones as compared to the guitars. But still, I like the super II in my guitar. I also use Dmarz 36th anv PAF's and love the tone with those too. My strat I use the Area 58's, perfect old school late 50's strat sound. It still seems possible to come close to his tones with different makes and models of pickups with dialing the amp, but the super II has a bit more twang in split mode much like my strats twang, but the super is much more sensitive to dynamics. I have sat here listening to Althea from 1981 and 1983 back an forth, most people would call us crazy for noticing a difference, but there is. It is so slight, that it could be achieved through EQ and amp settings. Even a change in his playing style will give us a new tone to identify, let alone a change in his pickups/guitar/gear.

This is an interesting question because when I think of the tone I like and what I emulate are two different things almost. I haven't really worried about getting things exactly like his or an exact era, I just like his overall tone, the basic bedrock to build on. I use a lot more dirt than Jerry ever did, but his twin sound with a split super II is a great tone, the twin/JBL is what I take most from him, since I use other guitars too. I have gone back to older set ups to do some A/B comparisons and I can't believe I haven't done this all along. I guess I use a hybrid of his tone and I particularly like 1975-78 and the early 80's
JonnyBoy

Postby Counterstriker » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:42 pm

I love that 78 JGB tone, like in the Don't let Go album with Donna (I didn't like her singing though :lol: ) I love Lonesome and a Long way home on that album!
Counterstriker

Postby tigerstrat » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:58 pm

Counterstriker wrote:I love that 78 JGB tone, like in the Don't let Go album with Donna (I didn't like her singing though :lol: ) I love Lonesome and a Long way home on that album!

You don't like Jerry & Donna harmonizing in JGB?
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby jeffm725 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:19 am

For me, Jerry's high water tiger tone was JBG winter 80 with the mark 2a. Fat and round when clean. A bit of bite when hit hard clean, and then searing when dirty. It is ALL there!
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby troehl » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:51 pm

jeffm725 wrote:For me, Jerry's high water tiger tone was JBG winter 80 with the mark 2a. Fat and round when clean. A bit of bite when hit hard clean, and then searing when dirty. It is ALL there!

Completely agreed. February/March of 80 are second to none.
the first few moments of That's Alright Mama (and the whole musical assault that ensues) from the aforementioned 3/1/80 show is paralyzing. jaw-dropping.
It's like Jerry and Tiger both erupting violently. 0 to 60 in an instant. Intense. It's the best drug ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suLpY610jq0
troehl
tiger
tiger

Postby waldo041 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:37 pm

"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby jeffm725 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:31 am

got one right here! :smile: November 1978 Mark 2a (one of the earliest mark 2a's according to Mike B at Mesa) switchcable 60/100 watt version with Reverb and No EQ .
It also has a GD pedigree according to Mesa registration records, but I have not been able to get specifics.

Out of all the amps I have ever owned, this is my favorite.

Sorry for grainy pic its all I have here right now at work.....
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Next

Return to Jerry Tone