arpeggios?

Musical Theory Abound!!!

arpeggios?

Postby javalina » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:18 pm

When you guys talk about practicing arpeggios on guitar, what specifically are you talking about? I know that they are chord tones played one at a time instead of all together, but the possibilities seem kind of infinite. What fingering patterns are the most useful to practice when you're starting out?
javalina
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Re: arpeggios?

Postby mkaufman » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:30 am

You want to learn arpeggios for major 7, minor 7, dominant 7, half diminished and diminished chords starting from any chord tone in all positions on the keyboard.

Yes - that's lots of work!

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman

Postby javalina » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:28 am

I did that, learned 'em on the keyboard. When applying that to the fretboard, do I want to concentrate on playing them in each position first or start off playing them across two or more positions?
javalina
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby ugly rumor » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:48 am

The more the better. Why limit yourself?
Gone are the days we stopped to decide where we should go, we just ride...
ugly rumor
Bobby
Bobby

Postby jackr » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:07 am

Try to be able to hit an arpeggio from wherever you are on the neck. And work on them not starting on the root.

I am working on that now as well. Seems the more I learn the I realize just how little I know.
On tour '76 - '81
Clean & Sober since '87
jackr

Postby gr8fulbluz » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:41 am

This may or not 'help' but here is a vid Pete did for help - slip , arpeggios fun, if ya wanna a song to go with it. I dunno it was the first i thought i had. http://youtube.com/watch?v=quNQIP3jMkA

here is the thread deal with a bunch of help slip videos

Have fun.
gr8fulbluz
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby strumminsix » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:46 am

Seems that arpeggio exercises should also integrate chord voicing...
strumminsix

Postby javalina » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:16 am

Oh, I get it "help". Took me a minute. Those are some great videos, thanks. I found some diagrams for major 7, minor 7, and dominant 7 arpeggios; five box-like positions and two stretched out ones for each. Doesn't look as bad as I had feared; seems like I did most of the heavy lifting when I learned the modes, and these should fall right into place. The diminished ones are going to have to wait a while.

This is some fun! You guys are great for answering all these questions. It is really helpful for me to get input from more experienced players. I don't know if I'm just not bright enough to figure this all out myself or what. It all seems so obvious after you tell me (and I have a little time to think about it). Not so obvious before, though. Thanks again!
javalina
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby Pete B. » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:03 am

strumminsix wrote:Seems that arpeggio exercises should also integrate chord voicing...

fwiw, The CAGED thing is also an Arpeggio goldmine.
Arpeggios that integrate Chord Voicings you say?... [is there a such thing as arpeggios that don't integrate the chord vocing???].
The "Touch Of Grey" solo is played almost entirely out of the chord voicings.
http://www.youtube.com/user/SteelYerFac ... OWTQI8Af9M

I noticed if I do a YouTube Search for "guitar arpeggios jerry garcia" or "guitar arpeggios grateful dead" I get alot of stuff.
Pete B.

Postby strumminsix » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:18 am

Pete B. wrote:
strumminsix wrote:Seems that arpeggio exercises should also integrate chord voicing...

Arpeggios that integrate Chord Voicings you say?... [is there a such thing as arpeggios that don't integrate the chord vocing???].

I think many players use arpeggios because it sounds pretty or not as full as a chord.

But it's important to know your voicing of say 1 3 5 1 3 or 1 3 5 1 3 1 vs 1 5 1 3 5 1 or 1 5 1 3 5 or 1 5 1 3

When to use each and why. How the former sounds more guitar esque while the latter grouping will sound more piano esque and could collide with the piano player, etc, etc...
strumminsix

Postby Pete B. » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:26 am

strumminsix wrote:
Pete B. wrote:

I think many players use arpeggios because it sounds pretty or not as full as a chord.

But it's important to know your voicing of say 1 3 5 1 3 or 1 3 5 1 3 1 vs 1 5 1 3 5 1 or 1 5 1 3 5 or 1 5 1 3

When to use each and why. How the former sounds more guitar esque while the latter grouping will sound more piano esque and could collide with the piano player, etc, etc...

Agreed. Those forms also play in with Jerrys use of Banjo-Roll style/technique when he does that high up hypnotic spacy yet minimalistic stuff.

His job is to shed light...
:hail:
Pete B.

Return to The Think Tank II