Show us your Garcia inspired guitars

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: Show us your Garcia inspired guitars

Postby Jon S. » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:34 pm

Your Carvin is the most special and beautiful Carvin I've seen ever. :cool:
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby JonnyBoy » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:38 pm

I was wondering when she would make a centerfold appearance...Good job BB (and Carvin)!!
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby brutusbuck45 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:06 pm

Thanks y'all!

Peace!

-Out
brutusbuck45
Phil
Phil

Postby Adam Deckard » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:10 am

Keep em coming!
Adam Deckard
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby unnbrokenchain » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:08 pm

My Carvin Sh65 with internal MIDI electronics. Next thing i gotta get is a CB1 preamp, just gotta make room for it! I occasionally pull out my Vintage Tele for that "spanky" raw sound, but this fits almost all of my needs. Most playable guitar ever! Carvin is worth it all the way. Funny I was thinking of putting in an order kinda like the "Wolf" Carvin. I would have gone with just the clear maple instead of the vintage yellow, matching headstock and asked if they could switch the pickups around so it would be a humbucker in the middle and single in the bridge, just like how Wolf originally had it. That's what I'm doing for my next Carvin.
unnbrokenchain
Mickey
Mickey

Postby cSuttle » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:44 pm

cSuttle
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby mijknahs » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:45 pm

unnbrokenchain wrote:...and asked if they could switch the pickups around so it would be a humbucker in the middle and single in the bridge, just like how Wolf originally had it.

Wasn't the Wolf originally 3 single coils just like a Strat? And then later changed to humbuckers in the middle and bridge? I never knew of a time it had a humbucker in the middle and single in the bridge.
mijknahs

Postby brutusbuck45 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:03 am

unnbrokenchain wrote:Funny I was thinking of putting in an order kinda like the "Wolf" Carvin. I would have gone with just the clear maple instead of the vintage yellow, matching headstock and asked if they could switch the pickups around so it would be a humbucker in the middle and single in the bridge, just like how Wolf originally had it.

Hey now, UBC! I love the spalted top. What did you select for body wood? Is that hog with a dark stain and clear gloss finish? Also, could not agree with you more about Carvin's playability. Everytime I pick up mine (amped or unamped), I'm still amazed by the tone and feel. I'll tell you what, between the five piece maple/walnut neck, quilt maple top and walnut body, this guitar is every bit of 10-12 lbs. It is heavy (by choice)- notes have great sustain and, man, if you only could hear the harmonics sing...

So, a Wolf-like Carvin is next for you? When you stated that you would go with Clear Gloss instead of Vintage Yellow, I recall wrestling with that decision, as well. I looked at many pictures. Maybe Tom Leiber can help with this one, but it seems that in its earlier years, Wolf was much "clearer or lighter" in tone or shade. Does that make sense? But it seems that as it aged, it yellowed. I reference two specific images on Waldo's site, and actually emailed the collage/spec image to Carvin as a reference. I think they matched the color tone as well as I had expected. I also opted for Black Painted headstock in a 3+3 (TH) configuration. I thought that, too, represented Wolf as best as Carvin could do with Irwin's design.

These are the images I referenced from Waldo (I hope you don't mind me posting the direct link, Waldo. If you don't want that extra traffic on your site let me know and can remove them):

Also, about the pickup configuration, I did check with Carvin about the possibility of a H-H-S. This would represent the classic, mid-years, configuration of Wolf. Carvin responded that they would not do this configuration- they did not have a CNC template, blah, blah, blah... That is not to say, that you should not ask, though. I would ask them for whatever you want- they will either say YES or NO. Incidentally, I chose the DC-145 because I liked the AP-11 in the middle position. While it does not have a classic Wolf look, it makes up for ALL of that and then some in tone.
brutusbuck45
Phil
Phil

Postby unnbrokenchain » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:03 am

mijknahs wrote:
unnbrokenchain wrote:...and asked if they could switch the pickups around so it would be a humbucker in the middle and single in the bridge, just like how Wolf originally had it.

Wasn't the Wolf originally 3 single coils just like a Strat? And then later changed to humbuckers in the middle and bridge? I never knew of a time it had a humbucker in the middle and single in the bridge.

Your right my bad! At first it had too single pickups and later doug switched it to two humbuckers and a single.
unnbrokenchain
Mickey
Mickey

Postby unnbrokenchain » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:13 am

brutusbuck45 wrote:
unnbrokenchain wrote:Funny I was thinking of putting in an order kinda like the "Wolf" Carvin. I would have gone with just the clear maple instead of the vintage yellow, matching headstock and asked if they could switch the pickups around so it would be a humbucker in the middle and single in the bridge, just like how Wolf originally had it.

Hey now, UBC! I love the spalted top. What did you select for body wood? Is that hog with a dark stain and clear gloss finish? Also, could not agree with you more about Carvin's playability. Everytime I pick up mine (amped or unamped), I'm still amazed by the tone and feel. I'll tell you what, between the five piece maple/walnut neck, quilt maple top and walnut body, this guitar is every bit of 10-12 lbs. It is heavy (by choice)- notes have great sustain and, man, if you only could hear the harmonics sing...

So, a Wolf-like Carvin is next for you? When you stated that you would go with Clear Gloss instead of Vintage Yellow, I recall wrestling with that decision, as well. I looked at many pictures. Maybe Tom Leiber can help with this one, but it seems that in its earlier years, Wolf was much "clearer or lighter" in tone or shade. Does that make sense? But it seems that as it aged, it yellowed. I reference two specific images on Waldo's site, and actually emailed the collage/spec image to Carvin as a reference. I think they matched the color tone as well as I had expected. I also opted for Black Painted headstock in a 3+3 (TH) configuration. I thought that, too, represented Wolf as best as Carvin could do with Irwin's design.

These are the images I referenced from Waldo (I hope you don't mind me posting the direct link, Waldo. If you don't want that extra traffic on your site let me know and can remove them):

Also, about the pickup configuration, I did check with Carvin about the possibility of a H-H-S. This would represent the classic, mid-years, configuration of Wolf. Carvin responded that they would not do this configuration- they did not have a CNC template, blah, blah, blah... That is not to say, that you should not ask, though. I would ask them for whatever you want- they will either say YES or NO. Incidentally, I chose the DC-145 because I liked the AP-11 in the middle position. While it does not have a classic Wolf look, it makes up for ALL of that and then some in tone.

Thanks, no custom orders or nothing. Just a Walnut neck and body with a spalted maple top, clear gloss finish and nothing else. I think you absolutely right about the vintage yellow quilt Wolf had, you also have to remember at what angle your looking at the quilt makes a difference and also the color tones may vary depending on what camera shot settings the photo was taken. But I do agree with you that you do see it pretty clear in the early years and of course in those beautiful pics it's clearly yellow. It's been forever since I pulled out The Grateful Dead Movie and watched it. Now I should! When I first got my Carvin, I knew by choosing Spalted Maple I really had no idea what the guitar was going to look like, as compared to just a regular flamed or maple neck. That is what made those two and a half months so much fun. I got the package, and I remember think how light it was, brought it down to my room, opened up the case and just stared at it for a couple minutes before even picking it up. Plays like a dream too! That sucks by the way Carvin said no on the H-H-S set up, you or I could always find someone else that could do that. Your guitar looks great, its just funny that I was thinking about having mine like that, and right when I decided to go the SH65 route, your guitar pops up all over the web! Must love it.
unnbrokenchain
Mickey
Mickey

Postby Adam Deckard » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:18 pm

Tennessee Jedi wrote:very cool !
how much ?
it will match my guitar !

Calling Mr Jedi.. May we see your wolf?
Adam Deckard
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby jkstraw » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:00 pm

Danny Ransom Builder
Danny + Gary Brawer Electronics
Larry Robinson Inlay
front.jpg
front.jpg (79.78 KiB) Viewed 1144 times

headstock.jpg
headstock.jpg (53.81 KiB) Viewed 1144 times

back.jpg
back.jpg (56.17 KiB) Viewed 1144 times
jkstraw
Jerry
Jerry

Postby unnbrokenchain » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:58 am

Sweet Tiger! Love the built in Midi. what is the fourth knob for? Something to do with the midi? Does Danny do a lot of those projects? I'm very interested
unnbrokenchain
Mickey
Mickey

Postby jkstraw » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:17 am

unnbrokenchain wrote:Sweet Tiger! Love the built in Midi. what is the fourth knob for? Something to do with the midi? Does Danny do a lot of those projects? I'm very interested

Thanks man - the 4th knob is for the midi volume. I know Danny has done at least one Tiger before. PM me for more details and Danny's contact info.
jkstraw
Jerry
Jerry

Postby Naataanii » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:48 am

Andrew at AO guitars does outstanding work as well.

aoguitars.com
Hey, hey, come right away. Come and join the party everyday!
Naataanii
Brent
Brent

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion