Best JBL copycat speakers??

Best JBL copycat speakers??

Postby unnbrokenchain » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:43 pm

I'm going to be building a cab soon and was wondering if looking at anything other than JBL's is worthwhile? I don't think I'll be coming across a pair of D120's or E120's that easy and may have to consider getting something else to sooth my needs. Any thoughts or suggestions? I know the Weber Neomags are out there but they aren't made anymore?
unnbrokenchain
Mickey
Mickey

Re: Best JBL copycat speakers??

Postby lunasparks » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:22 pm

I'd likewise like to hear thoughts on this. In my case, though, how about 10 inch (K110) copycats? Anything in current production that gets the job done?
lunasparks
Billy
Billy

Postby hogan » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:28 pm

unnbrokenchain wrote:I'm going to be building a cab soon and was wondering if looking at anything other than JBL's is worthwhile? I don't think I'll be coming across a pair of D120's or E120's that easy and may have to consider getting something else to sooth my needs. Any thoughts or suggestions? I know the Weber Neomags are out there but they aren't made anymore?

The neomags are still being made. There was some confusion due to a message at Weber's site.
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby unnbrokenchain » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:30 pm

Heard nothing but real good things about the Beyma Liberites. I believe someone on the board here has some. Sake of ma baby!!
unnbrokenchain
Mickey
Mickey

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:20 pm

I have the Eminence Commonwealth and they are great speakers. Similar sensitivity and tonal curve as a JBL E-120 and as heavy too, not for the weak arms and backs. High wattage articulate speakers, they do well for me and sound nice. Peavey Blackwiddow vintage 80's style with the aluminum dust cap works great too, and that recommendation comes from some of the guys that have studied Garcia's tone closely for a living. I have a JBL K-110's coming soon, i'll post the A/B similarities for you all once and for all.

Man, who wouldn't want a JBL sounding speaker that weighs 1/3 of the actual JBL? You get that with the Weber Neo's, Have no idea how they perform though. I would consider those serious option for you too, but I haven't played them yet. I really want to try out some Hemp cone tone tubby's, I mean people swear on their children by them as tone monsters, maybe not a good JBL knock off, but I don't see why not a good Jerry speaker, plus you can't be unhappy with good tone overall. Good luck, there is a lot of info in the archives on this site about this topic, you just gotta poke around... Peace, JB
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby unnbrokenchain » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:35 pm

Yeah I heard the Weber Neomags are a lot lighter, but that wouldn't be what drives my final decision. I'm really curious about the Tone Tubby's too. Not for a Jerry thing but just to see if they really are as good as everyone says they are. I'm probably going to go with the Beyma Liberty 12"s, I've actually heard what the Liberties sound like and like them a lot, people have said they are closer to the JBL sound than the Webers, but I've heard the opposite as well. Only way to find out is to get them and try em' out.
unnbrokenchain
Mickey
Mickey

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:55 pm

unnbrokenchain wrote:Yeah I heard the Weber Neomags are a lot lighter, but that wouldn't be what drives my final decision. I'm really curious about the Tone Tubby's too. Not for a Jerry thing but just to see if they really are as good as everyone says they are. I'm probably going to go with the Beyma Liberty 12"s, I've actually heard what the Liberties sound like and like them a lot, people have said they are closer to the JBL sound than the Webers, but I've heard the opposite as well. Only way to find out is to get them and try em' out.

The worst part about giving speaker suggestions, is the fact they all sound different in different amps, with different guitars, and gear. I just chose the best sensitivity, wattage, price and carefully studied their graphing curves. From there, you're close enough and the other 90% is your gear and hands. :lol: I think you would like the Beyma's I thought I would like them as well as the emmi's especially with the money savings since they are not authentic speakers anyway. I also tried to decipher the tone from what I was using amp wise in my search, if people were using an axe fx with a crown amp and saying the webers are the deal, that may or may not sound anything like what my amp is doing tonally in my case. I guess what I'm trying to say is look for write ups from people using similar gear that you use... that may be helpful in the end too. Good Luck!
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby myoung6923 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:47 am

unnbrokenchain wrote:Heard nothing but real good things about the Beyma Liberites. I believe someone on the board here has some. Sake of ma baby!!

Keir has a pair in his twin and they sound great. I have A/B'd them with my E120's and they are very good.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

http://www.fennario.us
http://www.youtube.com/fennarioband
http://www.facebook.com/fennarioband
myoung6923

Postby Marlow » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:47 am

I researched this question a while ago and came up with this list of JBL D120 reasonable facsimiles:

Weber California
    Weber Neomag
    ElectroVoice L12
    Beyma Liberty 8 -- 300 watts, 24 pounds, $260
    Eminence Commonwealth -- 225 watts, 22 pounds, $135
    Peavey 1203 (Black Widow) -- 350 watts, 16 pounds, 4" voice coil, $130. Apparently older ones sound better (pre-1983? can't remember exact year)
    Standel S12 -- very heavy, very rare, very expensive
    Altec 417 -- 100 watts, 17 pounds, rare

I have the Weber Cali in the 10" and 12", and to my ear they sound more like a D120 than the Neomag, though apparently the Neomag is currently being redesigned. Well, at least the 12" Cali sounds like a D120; the 10" is being paired with a JBL K110 in a 2 x 10 still under construction. I'll report back when I've heard them both. The Cali with the aluminum dome is the way to go, if you choose Cali.

My 2 x 12 is a Cali on top and a 12" Tone Tubby Hempcone (both ceramic) on the bottom. It's a killer combination: the TT has lots of depth and complexity, and the Cali has all that sweet top end.
Marlow
Brent
Brent

Postby unnbrokenchain » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:59 am

oh yeah? i was originally thinking about mix matching speakers too. The Tone Tubbys for My 45 watt 1972 Bandmaster Reverb and E120's or whatever I can find for my Twin Reverb. There are a couple old Silverface Twin Reverbs on Ebay, two that I found had original JBL D120's in em'. They'll probably go for around a thousand or more. Too bad I already have so much, I would pay that much just for the speakers, and not knowing what condition they were in. If only I had absolutely nothing, maybe I would buy one, for the speakers and the chassis, then that would be worth it.
unnbrokenchain
Mickey
Mickey

Postby strumminsix » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:25 am

Marlow wrote:I have the Weber Cali in the 10" and 12", and to my ear they sound more like a D120 than the Neomag, though apparently the Neomag is currently being redesigned. Well, at least the 12" Cali sounds like a D120

Which Cali? I heard somebody getting them with aluminum caps, etc.

I never warmed up to the Calis but LOVE teh NeoMags

Someone said the Cali is more like an E120. Can't say.

But I have A/B'd my 2x12 Neo cab against D120 Twin and gotta say, couldn't tell much of a difference.
strumminsix

Postby Chinarider1A » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:52 am

just scored a pair of JBL k120's so will possibly be selling a pair of brand new Weber Neomag 12's with aluminum dust cover. They have about 15 hrs on them. PM me if interested Thanks.
Chinarider1A
Brent
Brent

Postby keirweir » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:38 am

unnbrokenchain wrote:Heard nothing but real good things about the Beyma Liberites. I believe someone on the board here has some. Sake of ma baby!!

I have the Beyma's in my 65 re-issue twin... I love them. YOu can hear them here... Using my Resurrection Eagle with Tiger wood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xok1r7V ... re=related
keirweir

Postby mijknahs » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:11 pm

I have a Weber NeoMag 12" and I don't think it is an equivalent to an E120. Maybe more like a D120?

I'll probably try out an Eminence Commonwealth for an E120 replacement at some time in the future since they're almost half the price of a Beyma Liberty. I still love my JBL E120s though. I wish they still made them.
mijknahs

Postby Chinarider1A » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:03 pm

I agree, I dont think the neomag's sound like the JBL e's at all. The e's are ceramic and can withstand much higher wattage, but to my ears they also need to being moving a lot of air to really sound great
Chinarider1A
Brent
Brent

Next

Return to Loudspeakers