Show us your Garcia inspired guitars

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: Show us your Garcia inspired guitars

Postby myoung6923 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:24 am

jester536 wrote:And the Resurrection is maybe the prettiest I've seen...but interestingly enough it needed fret work.

My resurrection also needed the frets finished as well as rewiring
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

http://www.fennario.us
http://www.youtube.com/fennarioband
http://www.facebook.com/fennarioband
myoung6923

Postby Friesman » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:10 am

myoung6923 wrote:
jester536 wrote:And the Resurrection is maybe the prettiest I've seen...but interestingly enough it needed fret work.

Thanks jester! When I brought my resurrection to my repair guy who specializes in frets, he felt it was common for builders to go up to the last mile with the build and somehow not be able to do frets...his didn't understand it, but felt it was common..either way, the guitar is unreal :D
Last edited by Friesman on Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Friesman
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby tcsned » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:50 am

Friesman wrote:
myoung6923 wrote:

Thanks myoung! When I brought my resurrection to my repair guy who specializes in frets, he felt it was common for builders to go up to the last mile with the build and somehow not be able to do frets...his didn't understand it, but felt it was common..either way, the guitar is unreal :D

I would think the reason it seems to be a problem with small shop or single builder guitar makers is that very few people are a complete package in any field. Most are not aces in every single area. My guess is most builders come from the woodworking end of things not many are fret guys first. It's probably something they see as a necessity but they get really juiced about carving the wood, inlay, etc. Bigger shops let folks specialize so they focus on what they do best or train up folks to get really good at one thing. Didn't Scott Walker make necks for Santa Cruz? I'd bet his stuff comes delivered in great shape. Frets seem to me as one of the trickier things to get right and takes a lot of attention and practice - there is an art and science to it.
tcsned

Postby stuco » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:03 pm

I know there's more out there! Let's see em! :wink:
stuco
tiger
tiger

Postby mijknahs » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:32 pm

This is my cocobolo/maple Bill Asher custom. Made in 1997. I like it even better now than when I first got it.

Jim
mijknahs

Postby tcsned » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:46 am

sweet! I love the inlay.
tcsned

Postby broesau » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:27 am

What's the middle pickup? I think I've seen one of those in Jerry's Tiger before. Is it just a different super 2?
broesau
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby mijknahs » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:49 am

Yes. The middle pickup is an original Super 2. The bottom pickup is a modern Super 2. The vintage Super 2 is still very powerful and bright. No noticeable difference from a new one. Maybe even slightly more powerful.

Jim
mijknahs

Postby JonnyBoy » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:47 pm

Is Asher still making tigers/guitars? Pretty sweet vintage super II there... Beautiful guitar, I lke the carved top of it, linear and flowing.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby mijknahs » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:57 pm

This is the first and only Asher "Jerry" guitar that I know of. I remember him stating that if he had to do it again, he would not charge less than $5000 (I paid $3500). It was a lot of work and he estimated 3-4 months but it took exactly one year. He's been concentrating on lap steel guitars for the past 10 years or so but he still makes other electrics and does other restoration and repair work.

Jim
mijknahs

Postby paulinnc » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:11 pm

If anyone has read the wolf thread I started you could see how the project is going.

Here is my latest edition. My first attempt at a body template. I had a little accident with the jigsaw so the upper horn is a little smaller than usual. I had to sand it down a little bit.

The project still looks pretty much like this.
paulinnc

Postby Marlow » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:19 am

It's slightly embarrassing to post this next to such phenomenal work, but here goes ...

This is my semi-abandoned WolfBud. I got it in 2005 as an unfinished, roughed-in neck and unconnected body "wings" from a 1978 Gretsch BST5000 that was abandoned when the Gretsch factory moved from NY (?) to Arkansas. It's a through-neck with alternating maple and walnut; the wings are walnut.

At the time I had no idea how to do a German route, so I filed the body into a Strat shape with a tummy cut and Wolfish horns. Here is "before" and "after"

Before (wet)

After:

I pretty much gave up on the project when, prior to drilling the bridge holes, I discovered that the scale length is actually 24.5." The neck profile is also very thin -- thinner even than a 60's Gibson profile. I tried to offset the flatness by rounding the shoulders into a very soft v.

The pups are spaced for a jackofroses pickup ring, which I picked up years ago with the Rosebud 5-way plate. I had planned a Dual Sound for the middle and two Super II's on the outside. The three holes are for three on-on-on switches, currently installed, with the pups, in a beater LP copy.

I should probably finish the project at some point. That's a good block of 32-year-old American black walnut, and maybe that carries its own obligation.
Marlow
Brent
Brent

Postby Naataanii » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:23 pm

This is my "Rosebud" in the beginning of the carving stages by AO Guitars. As well as the Cover Plate by Craig Lavin.
Attachments
Rosebud.jpg
Rosebud.jpg (21.86 KiB) Viewed 751 times
rosebud at the beginning stages.jpg
rosebud at the beginning stages.jpg (25.99 KiB) Viewed 751 times
Hey, hey, come right away. Come and join the party everyday!
Naataanii
Brent
Brent

Postby mijknahs » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:40 pm

Marlow wrote: I had planned a Dual Sound for the middle and two Super II's on the outside.

I would do the Dual Sounds on the outside and the Super II in the middle (that is if you prefer the Jerry tone from '82 through '88).

Jim
mijknahs

Postby Adam Deckard » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:21 am

Would more people kindly post pictures of their axe? You may feel as though you have already shown it off once, but this thread could be the stopping point for people who want to get ideas for their own guitars. Everyone enjoys looking at these guitars, and I think maybe even an RUKind guitar gallery could be cool.

Adam
Adam Deckard
Terrapin
Terrapin

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion