Unique Bobby tone in '88 Bird Song

Unique Bobby tone in '88 Bird Song

Postby BuddhaG » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:23 am

Hey y'all

A poster brought attention to something that begins to happen at approximately 6:00 and lasts a couple minutes of the Bird Song from this show. At first I thought it was Jerry because the notes being played were so loud and dominating the mix, but upon further listen, I am pretty sure this is actually Bobby wailing!

http://www.archive.org/details/gd88-09- ... beok.flacf

Does anyone here have any ideas about what Bobby is doing? I listened to a whole bunch of Bird Songs from this era and haven't heard anything like it.

Just thought you Bobby guys would get a kick out of this very nice sounding oddity! :smile: :smile: :smile:
a whole new gameball
BuddhaG
Bear
Bear

Re: Unique Bobby tone in '88 Bird Song

Postby Chuckles » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:33 am

Definitely Bobby in the left channel, exploring and getting off on his synth stuff (I think... maybe it's just f/x?), and he's back at it at about the 10 minute mark. Pretty cool that the whole band could just go along with it, ain't it?
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Postby JonnyBoy » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:01 am

Pretty cool,
The late 80's and the availability of cool effects for f/x junkies. To pin point the exact combo, dunno, but I'm sure its a list. I gave the show a listen and they are in effects heaven this show on every song. And they encored Ripple, nice.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby NeebruM » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:32 am

Good catch!...
NeebruM
Keith
Keith

Postby tcsned » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:20 am

I was at that show - I vaguely remember that groove in Bird Song - doesn't sound like a synth wouldn't 88 be a little early for those guys using the synth? Wasn't it '89 when Jerry broke out the synth? I was thinking the Warlock's show at Hampton with the Wolf was an early guitar synth show.
tcsned

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:04 am

IWT (actually was outside chillin' this night but was in for 5 out of the 8 between Landover and the Philly run)

Bob was getting into his MIDI sounds by this time (September 1988), months ahead of Phil and Jerry. I remember a lot of church bell/anvil sounds from Bob during Space on the 3rd night (9/5)
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby jeffm725 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:24 am

tigerstrat wrote:IWT (actually was outside chillin' this night but was in for 5 out of the 8 between Landover and the Philly run)

Bob was getting into his MIDI sounds by this time (September 1988), months ahead of Phil and Jerry. I remember a lot of church bell/anvil sounds from Bob during Space on the 3rd night (9/5)

fall '88 was Casio PG-380 time...bobby definitely was well ahead of jerry on midi adoption
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby jeffm725 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:03 am

tigerstrat wrote:IWT (actually was outside chillin' this night but was in for 5 out of the 8 between Landover and the Philly run)

OUCH TS!!!! I just put 2 and 2 together. You got shut out of the only electric ripple from 1970-1995!!!! I was inside this night and it was incredible. Thats gotta hurt man, and I feel your pain:
I got thrown out of 11/1/85 for popping doors during the first set opener and we know what happened that night.
I was also in the parking lot for the 10/9/89 warlocks show (got in 10/8).

10/16/89 was the only other I ever got shut out of.
(obviously I missed the first 2 return Darkstars, but Miami made up for it)
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby tcsned » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:09 am

lol - Jeff, we must've bumped into each other in a parking lot at some point sounds like we were at a bunch of the same shows
tcsned

Postby jeffm725 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:27 am

tcsned wrote:I was at that show - I vaguely remember that groove in Bird Song - doesn't sound like a synth wouldn't 88 be a little early for those guys using the synth? Wasn't it '89 when Jerry broke out the synth? I was thinking the Warlock's show at Hampton with the Wolf was an early guitar synth show.

jerry strated using the synth during spaces in late spring/summer 89. He used a black strat while Wolf was being setup for midi. Fall 89 was when jerry really started incorporating midi into actual songs.
jeffm725

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:27 pm

jeffm725 wrote:

OUCH TS!!!! I just put 2 and 2 together. You got shut out of the only electric ripple from 1970-1995!!!! I was inside this night and it was incredible. Thats gotta hurt man, and I feel your pain:

Something must be wrong with me, as I have never once felt bad about missing the Ripple.I still had a lot of shows ahead of me and was having an insane amount of fun on this tour. I would have felt worse about missing night 4 in Philly(9/12), or opening night at the Cap, or Clapton & Knopfler at Spectrum on the day off for that matter. Perhaps having just caught an acoustic Ripple two months earlier at the Frost (7/9/88) softened the blow. Hooking up with a very cute Muehlenberg College girl a couple days later didn't hurt either...
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby jeffm725 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:53 pm

just watched a video of this night, Bobby was indeed playing the PG-380 and get this: It is a white one. He didnt play the white one very often. I believe the white one was his first pg-380.
By the way, he is so into his midi organ sound that he is playing at the end of OMSN that he totally spaces the scream off of the walk-up at the end. Jerry (sporting a button down Hawaiin shirt) shakes his head in an amused manner.

by the way....TS...at the time I didnt think the Ripple bustout was that huge (compared to say the Box of Rain in 86<the most electric moment of 300 +shows for me, the mothership left the ground, the crowd was so bonkers> ....or the Stephen in 83) it only became so in retrospect because of the lack of proper GD appearances. You ALWAYS got a ripple in all of Jerrys acoustic permeations.
jeffm725

Postby jeffm725 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:21 pm

this one is for TS :P

9/3/88 Cap Center (2nd encore from the show that the Thread subject Bird song is from)

jeffm725

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:34 pm

Probably the best 'break out' moment I saw out of the 30 shows I saw.
Had something to do with the Make A Wish foundation if I remember correctly ....
:D
Tennessee Jedi

Postby astroman99 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:40 am

I was locked out too! And thrown out one of the next nites... during deal!
astroman99

Return to Bobby Tone