JBL Experts Recone Advice

JBL Experts Recone Advice

Postby muletrane » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:05 am

Sorry if this has already been covered but what do you all think about spending $200 to have a K120 reconed with JBL parts? Too much or is it worth it? I bought one with an aftermarket cone and it cries a bit when pushed hard. I also have another where the original cone is dented/dirty/tired. What should I look out for when getting these reconed...I've never done it before. Thanks!
muletrane
bruce
bruce

Re: JBL Experts Recone Advice

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:56 am

$200 sounds pretty darn high. From what I gather, and please correct me if this isn't the case, but most all JBL cone kits out there today are for the E120 with the thicker paper. The closest thing to a "real" K120 cone is the custom kit that Ted Weber had made. Weber has done a lot of recones of old JBL's and people seem very happy. I had him do a D130 cone for me for a steel guitar amp. It was fantastic, had the thinner, sweeter sounding paper, etc, and with the K style kapton voice coil for power handling. At the time the job was $85. I think they're probably up to about $120 or so for the job, but with real nice cones if they still have them. Ted (RIP) is no longer with us, but it would be worth checking to see if they still have those cone kits in stock. Ted personally had a BIG love for these JBL's we all love so much. His line of Neo JBL clones has me thinking they probably have tons of these nice cone kits. The idea basically is that the Weber cone kits may actually sound more authentic and better than using a real JBL E120 kit. I'd get someone at WeberVST on the phone and discuss it.

B
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby ugly rumor » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:43 pm

True. The last rcone I did was @$25, but that was a long time ago, on an Ampeg. Most of them can be done I would guess for $75-85 today. $200 is definately too high. There gets to be a point where it's better to just buy again. I don't know of too many used speakers that can't be gotten for under $200.
Gone are the days we stopped to decide where we should go, we just ride...
ugly rumor
Bobby
Bobby

Postby mijknahs » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:53 pm

I believe Weber speakers will recone a JBL for $95 plus shipping. That's what they quoted my about a month ago. I was just curious and did not have any speakers reconed.

Jim
mijknahs

Postby muletrane » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:52 pm

Thanks for the advice y'all. The $200 price is for a local guy who said he uses JBL parts. I should try and see if they are K120 parts or E120. I've known of Weber's recone but these speakers are heavy and I bet it would be at least $60 bucks round trip just to ship. I also usually see some Ebay speakers that cost the same as a recone. Problem is I haven't had much luck with what I've gotten so far. This is why I have a pile of JBL's sitting in my closet eating at my soul :?
muletrane
bruce
bruce

Postby ugly rumor » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:54 am

I can't imagine shipping being more than about $15-20. I just had a speaker (15 inch) shipped from Florida to Colorado for $15, double boxed and packed well. I prefer Fed-Ex to UPS. Anytime I encounter someone who overprices, I pretty much refuse to deal with that person, as to my mind his integrity is compromised, and I can't trust the job. Just me; 40 years of relearning the same lesson, somewhere along the line I got the idea. Good luck!
Gone are the days we stopped to decide where we should go, we just ride...
ugly rumor
Bobby
Bobby

Postby jeffm725 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:22 pm

ugly rumor wrote:I can't imagine shipping being more than about $15-20. I just had a speaker (15 inch) shipped from Florida to Colorado for $15, double boxed and packed well. I prefer Fed-Ex to UPS. Anytime I encounter someone who overprices, I pretty much refuse to deal with that person, as to my mind his integrity is compromised, and I can't trust the job. Just me; 40 years of relearning the same lesson, somewhere along the line I got the idea. Good luck!

Recones for JBL's with factory kits (and Brad is right they use an E- kit for everything now)...... Anyway, going rate on that is 175-185 dollars. If you can find(good luck) a NOS kit for K's and D's be prepared to PAY HUGE MONEY and I mean 300-400 just for the KIT! Not the labor.

Brad is also right about Weber doing a VERY good job with vintage jbls (they have done K's, E's, and D's for me all at great result)...... all at 95 bucks ea. + shipping.

Bottom line....Brad is right about everything :lol:
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:54 pm

jeffm725 wrote:
Bottom line....Brad is right about everything :lol:

My wife and close friends and myself will surely disagree. :smile:

Brad
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Return to Loudspeakers