Stu Allen's rig/tone and JGB

Re: Stu Allen's rig/tone and JGB

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:17 am

Kevin has a delay in his rig? :shock: Or does the ADA unit above the Eden do other things as well?
Rusty the Scoob

Postby Counterstriker » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:31 pm

Counterstriker

Postby jdsmodulus » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:15 am

There is another one on the Archive as well.
jdsmodulus

Postby Pete B. » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:47 am

'Caught Stu with DSo here in Portland Fri night.
I thought his Jerry tone was really nice!
Nice job by all on Stu's Jerry rig!
Pete B.

Postby keirweir » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:27 am

http://www.archive.org/details/DSO2010-04-14.flac16

I only checked out Birdsong and there is an insane jam in there....SICK. This is the lineup in my opinion.
keirweir

Postby tdub » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:37 pm

Got to see Stu in Portland. Wonderful night. Stu has integrated into the band very quickly. Loved his tone. Thanks for all the details on this thread, especially with regard to shock mounting the MC250 in the rack.

I am running my Lieber American Beauty thru Waldo's buffer into my SMS Pre into a sweet old MC250amp out to a JBL K120 Soundscaper cab. Obviously my little finners ain't quite doing the magic of Stu or John's or many others out there, but the tone of this entire rig is SPOT ON.
tdub
tiger
tiger

Postby mijknahs » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:15 am

tdub wrote:I am running my Lieber American Beauty thru Waldo's buffer into my SMS Pre into a sweet old MC250amp out to a JBL K120 Soundscaper cab. Obviously my little finners ain't quite doing the magic of Stu or John's or many others out there, but the tone of this entire rig is SPOT ON.

I'm STOKED to hear about your setup. Sounds like an amazing combination of items.
mijknahs

Postby tdub » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:37 pm

Well, the LIeber is a really, really well crafted instrument, but as long as you have DiMarzio Super IIs, that's a great start on any guitar. Then the Waldo fine Buffer. But the real holy grail, in my opinion, is Brad's SMS pre. Yep, there are other pre's out there, or one can always lug a real Jerry-modded Fender Twin around, but having THE tone in one single rack space SMS was too sweet to resist. And it has a great reverb built in. Scrounged up a good old MC250 on ebay and Tracy at Soundscaper put me in touch with a great, tight reconed K120 and built a bomb-proof cab. I know it's only a single speaker cab, but I would be hard pressed to NEED more volume for my small and medium hall needs. Getting too old to cart too much crap around. On the down side, all said it cost about 6k for everything, but the majority of the cost was in the guitar. But what you get is THE sound. Those tight, tight low tones in first position playing and unmistakable signature Jer high tones---and beautiful sustain. I could never go back now!
tdub
tiger
tiger

Postby mijknahs » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:54 pm

I know what you mean. I also often use a 1x12 cab with a JBL E120. I lug a Jerry modded Twin (head) around and sometimes just use the power section of the Twin to mix things up but I also use McIntosh amps. It is sounding pretty sweet. I am saving up for an SMS though...
mijknahs

Postby playingdead » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:20 am

tdub wrote:Well, the LIeber is a really, really well crafted instrument, but as long as you have DiMarzio Super IIs, that's a great start on any guitar.

playingdead

Postby modz » Sat May 29, 2010 12:39 pm

This is a sick rig! Sorry about my big head on the photo but this was the only one I had. I just busted out a long session for Stu and delivered this Mcintosh 2300 (over 100 pounds) that Brad Sarno found, it was one of those "I had this thing in my closet for 20 years" amps. Not a scratch on it! I also built him a 3x12 with E-120's. As much as the clamps are for cosmetics, this was the 1st time I ever had to do a fast speaker switch and it did shave a couple minutes off, maybe. Nah, they're for looks:) The middle E-120 couldn't handle the MC2300 on 10 :shock: and just by luck Jimmy Tebeau had an extra???? It was an extreme fun "DROP dead" good time for all, I ended up as guitar tech:)
I'm already thinking about a shock rack for the 2300. Any ideas? So this was at Schwagstock (Memorial day weekend) in Missouri, about 5000 had paid by "fryday" night. Vince Herman sat in, it was his birthday. Now to recuperate for a few days.
P.S.
Melvin has the richest tone that I have ever heard. I played guitar with Merl Saunders on a few shows so I have that to compare it to. Merle had his grate parts too but Melvin was all about tone. I brought him a wa wa to use from Brad.
Last edited by modz on Sat May 29, 2010 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tracy Lowe from Festus, MO
http://www.soundscaperproductions.com/
modz
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby mijknahs » Sat May 29, 2010 1:03 pm

I hope he has roadies!
mijknahs

Postby modz » Sat May 29, 2010 1:11 pm

Unfortunately I was his roadie for this gig. My back!!!!!!!!
Tracy Lowe from Festus, MO
http://www.soundscaperproductions.com/
modz
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby JonnyBoy » Sat May 29, 2010 1:12 pm

Awesome! Love it. So his back up is the 250 on the bottom there? Speaker clamps=over rated time savings but cool, authentic looks! I would put that amp in anything that has wheels and a handle, or hire a few guys to be mules.

Oh I got a Black widdow speaker. You're right it's a bad ass sound.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby jdsmodulus » Sat May 29, 2010 1:30 pm

that rig is Sweet!!!!!! :hail:
jdsmodulus

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone