Timing on Wharf Rat bridge

Timing on Wharf Rat bridge

Postby mijknahs » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:16 pm

Does anyone else have trouble with timing when *singing* the bridge or is it just me? I know it's in 3/4 time but it's tricky for me. I'm just starting to play it with my band and I am not comfortable with the bridge yet. The rest of the song is easy and fun to play.
mijknahs

Re: Timing on Wharf Rat bridge

Postby jeffm725 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:05 am

no problems singing it but there always seems to be trainwrecks with someone or another either during the part (drums or someone jumping changes), or if we make it though that unscathed someone inevitably screws up the timing into the Em .."fly away" part
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby seanc » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:08 am

It's a real lot easier if you don't think of it as 3/4 but instead count it as 6/8 (or even as 12/8). The quarters stay the same (ish) but instead of 1&, you count 1-triple, 2-triple, etc.

If you have good drummers, they will generally set up the transition by coming in with heavy triplets switching from 8th to triplets and everything just flows right into it.
Worcester/ Providence area Bass player, looking to hook up and play some tunes!!
seanc
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby mijknahs » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:38 am

Actually we finally got it down (somewhat). Still requires some extra concentration though. I think the transition to 3/4 (or 6/8) helps when it starts with "Bur-gan-dy Wine-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3".

http://www.archive.org/download/TigerRo ... arfRat.mp3
mijknahs

Postby seanc » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:34 am

IMO... If you are having a real problem then you are all thinking way too much about it.
if it really is throwing you. Just count it in 2 and pretend that nothing else has changed.
Worcester/ Providence area Bass player, looking to hook up and play some tunes!!
seanc
Pigpen
Pigpen

Return to Wharf Rat