Stu Allen's rig/tone and JGB

Re: Stu Allen's rig/tone and JGB

Postby keirweir » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:09 am

Stu is the man for that job. Once he settles into DSO it will only get better... DSO is the best Dead cover band in the universe...
keirweir

Postby mijknahs » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:19 am

Even better than Furthur?
mijknahs

Postby Friesman » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:02 pm

Anyone know when wolf will make it's appearance? I have tix for the last show on the west coast tour and cant' wait..
Brad? Waldo?
Thanks!
Friesman
Friesman
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:36 pm

I don't know if Stu got around to getting it setup to be playable. Currently the string height at the nut is too tall, and the general setup is also too high. This presents intonation issues and playability issues. I'm sure once it's dialed in it'll be spectacular. It's a wonderful axe.

Brad
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby keirweir » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:12 pm

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:I don't know if Stu got around to getting it setup to be playable. Currently the string height at the nut is too tall, and the general setup is also too high. This presents intonation issues and playability issues. I'm sure once it's dialed in it'll be spectacular. It's a wonderful axe.

Brad

I thought Stu got to jam on Rulik's wolf? Are you saying he has one?
keirweir

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:23 pm

keirweir wrote:
SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:I don't know if Stu got around to getting it setup to be playable. Currently the string height at the nut is too tall, and the general setup is also too high. This presents intonation issues and playability issues. I'm sure once it's dialed in it'll be spectacular. It's a wonderful axe.

Brad

I thought Stu got to jam on Rulik's wolf?

I interpret this as referring to Ruklick's Moriarty Wolf. Too bad he's not playing it, was hoping to check it out this Friday.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Friesman » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:01 pm

Thanks for the info Brad,
I'll keep on hoping he get's the wolf set up and ready to go cause we're all itching to see it hear it live but based on the video waldo posted, Stu's a monster and I'm just as as happy with the Jerrified sg
Friesman :cool:
Friesman
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:46 pm

Yeah,

the Jerrified SG is quite the testament to the DiMarzios and the Tiger Buffer, but as a guitar, it's really not right for a few reasons. The scale length is short, the thin body and all mahogany construction makes for a warm and mellow guitar with highs that don't sustain with much energy, kind of the opposite of a post '60s Jerry type guitar. It really does sound good, but I too wanna hear the Wolf thru that rig. I'm really happy with what I'm hearing tonally from the amp/speaker setup so far. I feel like it's very much doing the right thing. Clean tube preamp, clip the Mac a hair, JBL's, viola! Now if only the guy could play...

Just kidding Stu ;)

Brad
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby Friesman » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:27 pm

Keirweir- just giving credit to cubensis..they are amazing tribute as well as DSO
Friesman
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby modz » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:30 pm

jeffm725 wrote:
hogan wrote:What's the deal? Typically you can't read any GD related message board w/o an absurd amount of DSO content. No reviews, video or audio of Stu w/ DSO? Kinda weird, kinda funny. Christ, DSO's own forum has nothing on the topic.

funny hogan, I was thinking the same thing when I went trolling for a stu review this morning. Very little on the subject which is kind of strange because I remember there being floods of stuff for mattson's debut

There was one interesting comment on the DSO board mentioning him having some rig problems the first night. Maybe Mr. Sarno knows whats up with that?

Stu called me from the venue about his rig. His Mutron has a bad on off rocker switch on it. Brad and I both worked on it before hand but those switches aren't super easy to find and we had no time to mess with it. I told him to hard wire it on. He told me he was getting a Q tron to finish. My Mutron had the same problem so I hardwired it and problem solved. I saw a kit to replace the switches but I can't find it now.
It would be my worst nightmare to do a big show on a rig that I never used before........
Tracy Lowe from Festus, MO
http://www.soundscaperproductions.com/
modz
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby mijknahs » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:33 pm

Definitely hard wire the Mutron. My switch was bad too and now "no more switch".

I also got an extra volume knob installed on mine because sometimes the Mutron volume would be much louder than my "direct" sound and it wouldn't match (because the gain threshold knob acts like a volume).

Jim
mijknahs

Postby waldo041 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:15 pm

+3 on hard wiring the power switch on! easy mod that stu could have almost any tech do in about 5 or 10 minutes. he shouldn't have to go the whole run without it if he went down to some local shop that can do the work.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby modz » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:34 am

Another must have for the mutron is a true bypass for sure! I just made one from a double pole triple throw or a triple x triple if you need an led. Here is a photo of my new back up rig. I run stereo (I love the stereo panner and ping pong delays:) so in my extension cab I just threw in a hundred dollar back up, a (crap) crate power block. I put a short speaker cord on it and screwed in into my little 1x12 k120 cab. Not an advertisement;)Image
Tracy Lowe from Festus, MO
http://www.soundscaperproductions.com/
modz
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby Laytonco » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:59 pm

Hey folks, I saw DSO at the Boulder Theater last Friday night. They did an origianl show and Stu was absolutely outstanding. He is a great fit with this band and in some ways made DSO better than what I've seen before if that can be believed. His tone was dead on and my only complaint was his guitar was too low in the mix for the first part of set I. Hats off to Stu and to everyone here who had a hand in helping him find the sound. Here are a few pics of the rigs. I had to include Kevin's bass rig. He's a good friend and I know there are quite a few bassers on this site. Also, Rob's new modulus (I guess that's right or at least a modulus neck) is really cool and he's using it in various eras. If it works, use it, eh?

Peace & Enjoy,

Gil

Laytonco

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:13 pm

I got to check out Rob Eaton's Modulus shown above. That there is an amazing guitar. He really gets a great variety of sounds from it.

Brad
SarnoMusicSolutions

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone