Slight reprise: best speakers for Jerry tone?

Re: Slight reprise: best speakers for Jerry tone?

Postby NeebruM » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:30 am

dleonard wrote:Does anyone know why JBL doesn't make these speakers anymore?

Corporate stupidity?
NeebruM
Keith
Keith

Postby keirweir » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:34 am

Imagined Days wrote:I am using 2 K120's in a Birch cabinet I built similar to Hard Truckers style. I use a Twin Head. The K's sound great! With them I had to switch out the Super II's in my guitar to Super Distortions (Dual Sounds) because it was too glassy, but I really never liked the Super II's anyways.

Did you use the E-120's prior to switching PU's?
keirweir

Postby NeebruM » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:03 am

strumminsix wrote:
NeebruM wrote:I've heard the neos need a CLOSED back cab to give them some meat...

Not true. I own 4 (3 12s & 1 15) all open back and all totally awesome.

Break in time was not longer than any other speaker that I've ever owned.

Nice to know...

Thanks!
NeebruM
Keith
Keith

Postby strumminsix » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:13 am

Another thing to note is that Weber Neos are heavier than the Jensen Neos.
strumminsix

Postby Jon S. » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:19 am

Yes but they're still no heavier than the Cali's, at least, and within my new acceptable range.

And to hogan, no, I didn't note the weights on the Emi Commonwealth's and yes, they weigh more than I'm willing to consider even now. It would still be nice to hear from someone who's heard them, though, as to how JBL-like they are.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby hogan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:18 am

Jon S. wrote:And to hogan, no, I didn't note the weights on the Emi Commonwealth's and yes, they weigh more than I'm willing to consider even now. It would still be nice to hear from someone who's heard them, though, as to how JBL-like they are.

I can buy Emi's at dealer prices, i haven't done it yet because of the way the Weber's sound and weigh. I'd like to hear them to see if they're worth a shit, but don't really want to get stuck w/ yet another 25# of speaker I have no interest in using. I've got a basement full of e120's already fitting that description.
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby Jon S. » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:15 am

FWIW, Tracy at SSP just told me he's AB'd a bunch of the speakers we're discussing and really likes the Weber Ceramic Cali aluminum dome.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby hogan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:01 pm

Jon S. wrote:FWIW, Tracy at SSP just told me he's AB'd a bunch of the speakers we're discussing and really likes the Weber Ceramic Cali aluminum dome.

I do too, but you're going to be dissappointed if you're expecting JBL tone or even truly extended range. I've a/b'ed these speakers and the difference is night and day. That's not to say one was better than the other, that's all subject to opinion. The audible differences, however, are not. I've got to ask, Who advised you on the Emi's in the first place?
PM me for a cab
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby Imagined Days » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:36 pm

I used the weber Cali ceramics and they were great, but even with those the SuperII's were too thin in my set up. I love 77-78 tone, and the 3 super distortions with the K120's get me closest.
Imagined Days
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby Laytonco » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:44 pm

Man, will someone start a thread on the K120s. I just bought two, put them in a HT 2x12 cab and have played them through my Alembic, my Schecter hollow body and my SG and man oh man, nothing - absolutely nothing sounds like these. I am so addicted, I'm forgetting to eat at night!.These are original cones. I'm scratching my arms, rocking and salivating right now. I need to get home.....muble mumble mumble...

Peace,

Gil
Laytonco

Postby hogan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:51 pm

Laytonco wrote:Man, will someone start a thread on the K120s. I just bought two, put them in a HT 2x12 cab and have played them through my Alembic, my Schecter hollow body and my SG and man oh man, nothing - absolutely nothing sounds like these. I am so addicted, I'm forgetting to eat at night!.These are original cones. I'm scratching my arms, rocking and salivating right now. I need to get home.....muble mumble mumble...

Peace,

Gil

Yeah dude, they kill. End. of. story.
PM me for a cab
Happy customers (~);-} :
hogan

Postby Jon S. » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:53 pm

hogan wrote:
Jon S. wrote:I've got to ask, Who advised you on the Emi's in the first place?

No one. Found 'em myself through the miracle known as Google.
Jon S.

Postby strumminsix » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:03 pm

Imagined Days wrote:I used the weber Cali ceramics and they were great, but even with those the SuperII's were too thin in my set up.

Never liked my paper dome Cali...
strumminsix

Postby Counterstriker » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:43 pm

Why the Cloth surrounded cone, what does that do?
Counterstriker

Postby hogan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:10 pm

Counterstriker wrote:Why the Cloth surrounded cone, what does that do?

Reduces cone cry.
PM me for a cab
Happy customers (~);-} :
hogan

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone