Stu Allen's rig/tone and JGB

Re: Stu Allen's rig/tone and JGB

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:30 pm

Help hip a square: HOHW??
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Pete B. » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:21 pm

http://www.hohwband.com/media.html
T, I didn't know about these guys ("Hell Or High Water" band) until yesterday, but their Jerry Guy won a raffle to play Wolf with P&F and the recording is at that link (He also plays a Lieber Tiger clone on Youtube).
Some may think it's beating a Dead Horse but the tone difference is so dramatic that the "It's in the Hands" thing simply could not be denied, per my own interest in this topic.

Do you have any Archive dates where other guys played Wolf with P&F?

I am looking forward to hearing Stu with this rig next Fri hear in Portland, OR.
Pete B.

Postby hogan » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:42 am

What's the deal? Typically you can't read any GD related message board w/o an absurd amount of DSO content. No reviews, video or audio of Stu w/ DSO? Kinda weird, kinda funny. Christ, DSO's own forum has nothing on the topic.
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby jeffm725 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:48 am

hogan wrote:What's the deal? Typically you can't read any GD related message board w/o an absurd amount of DSO content. No reviews, video or audio of Stu w/ DSO? Kinda weird, kinda funny. Christ, DSO's own forum has nothing on the topic.

funny hogan, I was thinking the same thing when I went trolling for a stu review this morning. Very little on the subject which is kind of strange because I remember there being floods of stuff for mattson's debut

There was one interesting comment on the DSO board mentioning him having some rig problems the first night. Maybe Mr. Sarno knows whats up with that?
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby jdsmodulus » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:50 am

I have looked everywhere for some audio. Im wondering if they plan on selling these shows through there downloads page? Even Youtube usually has some video by now.
jdsmodulus

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:44 am

I think Rob Eaton processes the shows for their download area, so it probably doesn't happen too quickly while on tour...

Still, the lack of AUD shows on the Archive is puzzling and a little frustrating.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby keirweir » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:32 pm

No audio anywhere... Startling to me.
keirweir

Postby waldo041 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:09 pm

"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby jdsmodulus » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:49 pm

Thanks Waldo! And let me be the first one to say home run? I thought that was awsome. DSO rocks! :cool:
jdsmodulus

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:17 pm

Here's a China Rider from the other night.

I think this is a great example of the tube preamp running clean into a McIntosh pushed to the point of lightly clipping (Sentry Monitor limiter removed) into 2 JBL K120's. The Mac/JBL combination has such a nice "squirt" to it. Not a great audio recording, but you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73c8okVKIgg

Brad
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:24 pm

Here's the skinny on the whole rig seen here:

Modern Gibson SG with Dimarzio Dual Sound's (99% of the time split to single coil) and an SDS-1 in the neck. Waldo's Tiger buffer. Standard OBEL effects loop setup. SMS Classic tube preamp into a Mc250. Each half of the Mc250 drives its own JBL K120 in a Soundscaper 2-12" cab. The pedal rack has a Mutron III, Boss OC-2, MXR Distortion+, Boss OD-2, Phase 100, MXR Carbon Copy delay. Reverb is in the SMS Classic (24 bit hall algorithm). Rack assembled and setup by Tracy at Soundscaper Prod.

Oh yeah, and an Adamas graphite 2mm guitar pick. 11-48 strings, D'addario I think. Slightly heavier than 10-46 to compensate for the shorter Gibson scale length.

B
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby waldo041 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:41 pm

stu's rig sounds verry jerry!!!

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby mijknahs » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:53 pm

I think Stu's voice sounds GREAT and very much like an older Jerry from around the late 80's or so. I think he needs to kick things up a notch though. Maybe he's just getting used to playing with the band...
mijknahs

Postby jdsmodulus » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:07 am

From the Youtube videos, I think there is 3 so far, I noticed the Mutron is out of the rack already? Is there a problem with it or is it designed to be removed?
jdsmodulus

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:10 am

His MuTron III was acting up but still working ok. It was a bit noisy last week here in the shop, but we didn't have time to fix it. Probably a bad opamp or cap. In the mean time, Stu scored a Q-Tron in Boulder to use in its place. When he gets back, we'll try to fix up the real one.

Brad
SarnoMusicSolutions

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone