Dual jackplate for a Strat

Chat about Equipment Info

Dual jackplate for a Strat

Postby playingdead » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:09 am

Was looking through Scott Walker's shop pictures and noticed this ... interesting alternative if you don't want to rout the side of your Strat the way I did for the second jack.

playingdead

Re: Dual jackplate for a Strat

Postby bcresci » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:47 am

Nice. This is just what I need for my strat. Was sitting here dreading having to do any routing. I may go this route first (effects loop and buffer) and then worry about the super II later.
bcresci
Mickey
Mickey

Postby waldo041 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:15 pm

vic, you never seen these before?

i first built my dual strat jackplate a long time ago and know i have shown it here, i passed what i did to brian at jack of roses and he sold them for a while. wonder if that is where scott got his. also, brad also did this an even longer time ago, and instead of a metal material, just used pickguard material to fabricate it.

just pointing out the fact that scott walker is not the first to use this. take a look at mattson's strat or jackofroses old page or the archive here. this has been an alternative for quite a while.

just a little perplexed you haven't seen these before.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby bcresci » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:00 pm

With JOR being out of business, who sells these now?
bcresci
Mickey
Mickey

Postby tigerstrat » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:46 pm

You can also just install it in the pickguard, either sacrifice a tone pot, or drill a new hole. Werx4me.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby mkaufman » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:47 pm

Am I missing something or is the picture cut off so I can't see the 2nd jack?

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman

Postby jdsmodulus » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:43 pm

mkaufman wrote:Am I missing something or is the picture cut off so I can't see the 2nd jack?

mk

You have to log in to the .org site to see the pics in full.
jdsmodulus

Postby playingdead » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:28 am

Nope, never saw one of 'em before. Don't even know if Scott made it, just saw it among his shop pictures yesterday.

Here's a tighter crop:

playingdead

Postby mkaufman » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:41 am

That's better!

Thanks!
mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman

Postby JonnyBoy » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:30 am

Nice. My Fender Showmaster has no pickguard, only 2 knobs (master tone and vol) and bottom jacks like a les paul. It was easy to drill a 7/8" hole next to the first and the a regular jackplate. I wish my "super strat" loaded from the front, this looks nicer, plus the cords hang easier w/ right angles. Always wantin' what I don't have.

Happy Easter
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby unnbrokenchain » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:49 am

doing a bump for this thread. I just bought a strat and would like to put in an OBEL soon. Having difficulty finding a dual jack plate at this time. I will appreciate any help out there!
unnbrokenchain
Mickey
Mickey

Postby mgbills » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:00 am

I hunted feverishly for a solution. I talked to my local machine shop & an electroplater who does custom car & motorcycle parts. I settled on have about 20 aluminum blanks made at the machine shop ($100), and then polishing them in my shop. Aluminum polishes very easy with a drill press & a Ryobi polishing kit from Home Depot. It is also easy to tool for a one-off jack plate. Just buy a small chunk of 1/16 plate, trace a standard strat plate, and cut it with a coping saw with a metal blade. Be careful with what you use to deburr it. A wire wheel will scratch the heck out of aluminum.

Electoplaters get $100 minumum typically. I also looked at home electroplating kits, but didn't really want to get into that project. I have a design scheme for a fancier model, but need time apart from other projects to complete it.

Hope this helps. It would be great to have some of these things commercially available again. Eventually I'll put in a milling machine.
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby milobender » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:50 pm

I can make a dual jackplate like that, out of Stainless Steel, no problem. :smile:
Everything we know is wrong...
www.9mileskid.com
milobender
Jerry
Jerry

Postby hippieguy1954 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:25 am

It's actually very easy to make the jack plate out of wood, plastic, brass, stainless or even aluminum. Cut it out roughly, sand or file edges and curves, drill holes and your done!
:smile: :smile: :smile:
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby milobender » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:35 am

:cool: Easy! Just takes time. :smile: You can do brass, and of course plastic and wood, with sand paper, but the steel you'll probably want a file, or you'll be sanding for a very long time... I don't like aluminum that much, becuse it clogs up the paper and tools so badly. :D
Everything we know is wrong...
www.9mileskid.com
milobender
Jerry
Jerry

Next

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion