Wall of Sound lifesize

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: Wall of Sound lifesize

Postby NashvilleMike » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:49 am

Thanks for the insightful review. The southern shows I saw the crowds were really amped up singing along with gusto and Bob seemed to soak it up. I wonder if cities like Atlanta and Asheville that have not had as much attention from any of "the bands" over the decades (compared to NYC, Boston, Chicago, Frisco etc...) are just easier to please or just that much more excited when they play.
playingdead wrote:The element of the unknown was always one of the magical things about a Grateful Dead show. You didn't know where you were going, and they didn't really know either.

I agree but I am hoping they grow in to it. I don't know if this is related but it may be - the 2 shows I saw were the only 2 shows I have EVER been to that I was not offered doses. Not once. I wasn't looking but I found it very unusual. The crowd was excited but it did not have that electricity of several thousand people tripping that I remember from the 80's. Is this related to less "out there" jams, no drums, no space, no 22 minute playin' etc...?
It all rolls into one and nothing comes for free
There's nothing you can hold for very long
And when you hear that song come crying like the wind
It seems like all this life was just a dream
NashvilleMike
One More Saturday Night
One More Saturday Night

Postby keirweir » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:44 am

I read the article.

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/2 ... n-Delaware

I guess it explains why you would here a Truckin >deal to open a set, or a Loose Lucy>must have been the doses>Deep elem. I saw two Further shoes and agree that some tunes were lost while others rocked. I think the band and the band only shodl decide what to play, but I wil take it for the sake of getting down and enjoying Phil and Bob while it's still here.
keirweir

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:44 am

All the main WOS features were actually in place well ahead of the Dec. '73 BMH shows... the phase-cancelling mic pairs, and rear-placement of monitor stacks are all very evident by the May '73 shows (see pics in the dead.net archives), however the FOH speakers were still arranged in left-wing/right-wing fashion most of that year. BMH was the first place they tried setting up the whole thing as one continuous wall behind the band. There are a couple pics from the summer NJ shows that show wedge monitors, but those seem to have been there for The Band's set only.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:56 am

Rusty the Scoob wrote:I think I count 18 of Phil's 15" D140 cabs in the two tallest stacks, correct me if I'm wrong.

Exactly right. And with the Mission Control bass, Phil could assign each string to a different half of each 18-stack: top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Maybeck09 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:08 am

Vic,
Thanks for the excellent review. Really well said. I can totally follow each piece of what you are saying. Thanks for the insight and great examples.
Maybeck09
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:28 am

BMH 11/30-12/2/73:

The classic late '74 Wall:

Oh by the way... the WOS on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/The.WOS?v=info
tigerstrat

Postby jeffm725 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:44 pm

tigerstrat wrote:All the main WOS features were actually in place well ahead of the Dec. '73 BMH shows... the phase-cancelling mic pairs, and rear-placement of monitor stacks are all very evident by the May '73 shows (see pics in the dead.net archives), however the FOH speakers were still arranged in left-wing/right-wing fashion most of that year. BMH was the first place they tried setting up the whole thing as one continuous wall behind the band. There are a couple pics from the summer NJ shows that show wedge monitors, but those seem to have been there for The Band's set only.

As usual TS is on the money:

Here is a May 73 shot:
5/26/73
no wedges that I can see

Here is June 73
6/10/73
No wedges in this shot at least

October 73
10/27/73

Aforementioned BMH
11/30/73
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:08 pm

Those proto-wall pics are cool!

Also... Godfather with no SYF sticker! Interesting... never seen it naked before.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:00 pm

Might that be an F2B in Bob's rig in the 6/10/73 shot? In one 5/26/73 shot I have, it looks like you can barely see the top of a Twin... could be a narrowing it down to where he switched.
tigerstrat

Postby hogan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:57 pm

tigerstrat wrote:The classic late '74 Wall:

The band was really into cocaine and amphetamines at this point look how skinny they all are. Scary.
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby jdsmodulus » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:24 pm

Honestly Hogan, I would have said what a nice effort Tom gave for his illustration of this incredible sound system. Respect.
jdsmodulus

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:43 pm

I thought it was kinda funny, but thanks, JD! I am thinking about doing a whole series of them, pre- and post- Wall.
tigerstrat

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:54 am

Those are awesome! Nice work! :hail:
Rusty the Scoob

Postby hogan » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:24 am

jdsmodulus wrote:Honestly Hogan, I would have said what a nice effort Tom gave for his illustration of this incredible sound system. Respect.

Oh brother.
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby Adam Deckard » Wed May 12, 2010 2:06 pm

Thanks for the Idea Vic!

adam
Adam Deckard
Terrapin
Terrapin

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion