How often did Weir use a chorus, and new bass head

How often did Weir use a chorus, and new bass head

Postby playingdead » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:13 pm

At our last gig in Worcester, my rhythm guitarist used a chorus for most of the show ... he used a lot of chorus, actually. I can't really recall too many instances of Weir using a chorus, I thought he was more into the flanger and the phaser.

I think a lot of chorus really detunes the guitar too much against the piano and other guitar. Or maybe it's just too much chorus in this instance. Opinions? A small sample from the end of Stella Blue below.

On the bright side, I inspired our bass player to get one of the little 8 pound tube GenzBenz Shuttle heads after he played through mine at our last rehearsal. Mine's the 6.0 (600 watts) and he got the 12.0, which is 1200 watts. I thought he had a really solid low E on Stella Blue (direct from the head to the board, post EQ on the head's DI).

http://www.playingdead.net/stellaexcerpt.mp3

Usual setup for me ... AxeFX -> board -> blah blah blah :shock:
playingdead

Re: How often did Weir use a chorus, and new bass head

Postby strumminsix » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:25 pm

No offense to your buddy but Choruses = Yuck to me. I can't recall Weir ever regularly using a chorus. He did have a few in his racks over the years.
strumminsix

Postby mkaufman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:23 pm

Although....a flanger can sound very much like a chorus, depending on its settings.

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://www.advantech-ny.com/DellComputerWarranty/
mkaufman

Postby jdsmodulus » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:44 pm

my ADA 2fx has a nice chorus for some of the Weir ballads. I think he used one as well. Everything in moderation.
jdsmodulus

Postby jester536 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:30 am

I find it kinda distracting in this clip...but some of that is surely due to the fact that when I'm listening to it I'm focused on the chorus.
If the thunder don't getcha then the lightning will!
http://www.reverbnation.com/unchartedwaters
jester536
One More Saturday Night
One More Saturday Night

Postby Laytonco » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:38 am

Hey folks,
I think the cl;ip sounds pretty darn good. The UE-400 (78-83) that Bob had had a stereo chorus in it and I have to believe he used it. I dont think Bob ever met an effect he didn't like. So much in fact, he kind of lost me in the 80s. I like that purer tone from the early 70s. I would say Chorus is fine for some tunes but I would use it very sparingly.

Peace,

Gil
Laytonco

Postby strumminsix » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:54 am

Laytonco wrote:Hey folks,
I think the cl;ip sounds pretty darn good. The UE-400 (78-83) that Bob had had a stereo chorus in it and I have to believe he used it. I dont think Bob ever met an effect he didn't like. So much in fact, he kind of lost me in the 80s. I like that purer tone from the early 70s. I would say Chorus is fine for some tunes but I would use it very sparingly.

Peace,

Gil

Got your dates wrong, amigo. He had the UE700 until 1980 IIRC then the 400. (think GD movie = 700) Don't know why though. Would LOVE to know that answer.
The UE700 doesn't have Chorus but does have a STELLAR Flanger, the EQ is outstanding, well the whole thing really just flat out rocks my world.
strumminsix

Postby Laytonco » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:24 am

Really. I stand corrected. On Dozin, under Weir's Gear, it describes a 400 and shows 78-83. Well, dang, anyone wanna trade a 400 for a 700?

LOL

Gil
Laytonco

Postby strumminsix » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:41 am

Laytonco wrote:Really. I stand corrected. On Dozin, under Weir's Gear, it describes a 400 and shows 78-83. Well, dang, anyone wanna trade a 400 for a 700?

I can't be 100% sure on dates but I've seen 77 -79 photos with the UE700 (the 77 photo may have been mislabeled)
1981-2 with the UE400

That said my best guess is that Brent is part of the change. Brent was a big fan of Ibanez Effects and had a stack with the 400 & 405.

Who knows, maybe it was even simpler - the controller between the 400/405 were interchangeable so maybe it was simply a logical decision?!
strumminsix

Postby jdsmodulus » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:03 am

For about 5 years or so I had both the UE 400 & 405 in my rack at the same time. This was a great simple way to get killer Weir tones. I like that they had stereo ins and outs somewhat like true bypass. You just had to turn the footpedal off and on for it to be silent. I agree about Brent, he had all Ibanez effects to start and maybe a moog?
jdsmodulus

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:31 am

Might be a little more chorus than I'd choose, but not a big deal. Your mix is so nice and clean I'd say it's not any kind of problem.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby jeffm725 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:32 am

jdsmodulus wrote:For about 5 years or so I had both the UE 400 & 405 in my rack at the same time. This was a great simple way to get killer Weir tones. I like that they had stereo ins and outs somewhat like true bypass. You just had to turn the footpedal off and on for it to be silent. I agree about Brent, he had all Ibanez effects to start and maybe a moog?

I have the 400 and 405 in my rack and also I have an AD202, all of weirs tones from 78-82 lay in there..........

Actually Brent had a prophet (think of his solo off alabama on Go to Heaven, I love that he still played that solo like the album for the first year or 2 live, before the Dead twisted him "their way")

Vic,
Bobby used the chorus sparingly at times especially late summer/fall 78...........However I strongly agree on the opinion of the chorus detuning from the keys/lead guitar when used heavily, that indeed happens and makes things sound a little "off"

Gil, don't fret :smile: there were periods in that same frame where Bobby absolutely used a UE700 (Brent too),
Bobby alternately used the 700 and the 400, I dont believe he ever actually used the 405 onstage, but a great unit nonetheless. The compressor on the 405 is much better than the 400 compressor and it has the nice Analog delay on it too (which I dont use much since I have the ad202 which really is THE kick ass Analog delay ; along with the 230)
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby jeffm725 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:45 am

strumminsix wrote:
Laytonco wrote:Hey folks,

Peace,

Gil

Got your dates wrong, amigo. He had the UE700 until 1980 IIRC then the 400. (think GD movie = 700) Don't know why though. Would LOVE to know that answer.
The UE700 doesn't have Chorus but does have a STELLAR Flanger, the EQ is outstanding, well the whole thing really just flat out rocks my world.

Strummin' are you sure that the UE700 was in his rack in 74? I never heard that before, cool if true, I was under the impression the 700 was not even in existence in 1974.
I thought he started working with Ibanez on guitars before effects and the Ibanez effects came after he started using their guitars.
His rack then (in 74) I know had some Alembic custom made EQ's and an Eventide clockworks delay seems to ring a bell, plus he did have some kind of phase or flange device too.......... but I didnt know about the 700 being then. Learn something new everyday.
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby strumminsix » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:24 pm

jeffm725 wrote:Strummin' are you sure that the UE700 was in his rack in 74? I never heard that before, cool if true, I was under the impression the 700 was not even in existence in 1974.
I thought he started working with Ibanez on guitars before effects and the Ibanez effects came after he started using their guitars.
His rack then (in 74) I know had some Alembic custom made EQ's and an Eventide clockworks delay seems to ring a bell, plus he did have some kind of phase or flange device too.......... but I didnt know about the 700 being then. Learn something new everyday.

D'OH! Meant "Closing of Winterland" DVD. Sorry and thanks.
strumminsix

Postby mkaufman » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:12 pm

In general, Weir used the AD230 & UE700 in the 70's and the UE400 in the 80's. Those dates are not exact so don't flame me.

I'm pretty sure that in the Bobby & the Midnights DVD he's playing both the UE400 & UE405.

My guess is that he moved to the UE400 because Ibanez moved to the UE400 and they were significantly cheaper. All-in-all, I've owned many UE400's & UE405's and I've never experienced 'the' sound. The UE700 & AD230 are in a different class all together.

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://www.advantech-ny.com/DellComputerWarranty/
mkaufman

Next

Return to Bobby Tone