Furthur Gear

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: Furthur Gear

Postby jeffm725 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:40 pm

screw Line arrays, Bobby has been increasingly bothered by smoke at indoor venues, his newest addition to his rig is a ionic breeze air purifier.

.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:56 pm

jeffm725 wrote:screw Line arrays, Bobby has been increasingly bothered by smoke at indoor venues, his newest addition to his rig is a ionic breeze air purifier.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby Counterstriker » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:36 pm

What does JK use amp wise?
Counterstriker

Postby Counterstriker » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:18 pm

No one knows?
Counterstriker

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:12 pm

Counterstriker wrote:No one knows?

I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread but afaik,

H&K Blues Master> Vestax(sp?) power amp
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Counterstriker » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:21 pm

Really?! Wow I saw that sitting ontop of the poweramp in his rack It's so small I thought it was just an effect of some sort.

Did he use that with Darkstar?
Counterstriker

Postby Dozin » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:25 pm

RiverRat wrote:Image

RiverRat wrote:
waldo041 wrote:anybody have a clue where that strat in the middle is from? is that jerry's sunshine daydream strat???

Jerry's burst from 72 had a maple fretboard. Could be the earlier Flag strat from fall/winter 1970...

nah, jerry's burst flag strat from 70 is owned by Henry Kaiser, bought from alembic in the middle of the 70's. besides that strat is a different color burst. the thing is that the neck's are believed to have possibly been switched out and that might very well be the body and not the original neck. or it could be another guitar all together.

peace,
waldo

the SSDD burst is a tobacco burst... too much red pigment in this one

compare the photo's above, it definitely isn't the burst from 72... but it does have a lot of the characteristics of the flag strat.... headstock, pickguard and finish.

Bob's Strat is a original 1963.
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Postby Dozin » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:45 am

jdsmodulus wrote:I agree about Phils Bass, it sounds good but why not use one of the Modulus Basses? They to me are clearly better! Its not like Phil doesnt have a plethora of them. Some MIDI some old some custom. Break um out! Same with Bobby I wish he would bust out more than the "new" Pinky. The guy must have 300 guitars!

AJ went through what seemed to be 100 cases and couldn't find the cocobolo Blackknife.
"If you get confused,...
Dozin

Postby jdsmodulus » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:37 am

If that blacknife is gone, somebodys Karma is going to be in bad shape! I loved that guitar. :shock:
jdsmodulus

Postby Dozin » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:53 am

I don't believe it's gone. Bob took the studio out of his house and made it more like a office. He's lined the hallway and walls with guitars and I think it's hanging on the wall. AJ hasn't gone to the house to look and we really haven't asked Weir about it either. It's on the back burner.
"If you get confused,...
Dozin

Postby jdsmodulus » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:23 am

must be nice. :lol:
jdsmodulus

Postby mkaufman » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:22 am

So, is Weir still using his line array? Has anyone tried one? They can be purchased for $800 on eBay and I guess one would want a pair (not cheap), however, I wonder if they would solve my sound dispersion issue... I wonder if they could be used instead of a full cabinet. (Weir has both...).

I'd love to try them, however I guess odds are low that GC or Sam Ash would have demo units...

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman

Postby playingdead » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:06 am

If you're using a conventional guitar amp and speakers, it won't work like your amp does, it's designed for full-range reproduction, like the AxeFX or Weir's Eleven rack. I'm also not sure how well those little drivers would fare as the primary sound source for a loud electric guitar. Weir is also using conventional guitar speakers in the Vox cabinets for his stage sound. The line arrays may just be for effects or MIDI or something else entirely.

That being said, when I played rhythm guitar in a band when I first moved to Boston, I used a Roland GP-100 preamp into a pair of full-range JBL Eon 10" speakers, and I really liked the brightness and crispness for rhythm guitar. Keep in mind that Weir was playing through Meyer Sound full-range speakers under the drum risers for a while there.

The QSC K10 or K12 fullrange speakers are what I use, they are 1000 watts, as loud as hell and can take anything you throw at them. The 10" ones have a 90 degree throw, and the 12" ones are 70 degrees. I did a theater gig on Friday night and could've probably filled the house without the FOH system.
playingdead

Postby Griz » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:24 pm

That Fishman Solo Amp sounds fabulous on acoustic instruments, I use one for acoustic and mando in addition to a regular guitar amp, usually my Heritage Patriot for the electric guitar stuff... the solo amp just isnt voiced for mag pickups.

Is Bobby doing any acoustic tunes in the set?

Looking forward to the Denver show.

Griz

PS: Have actually done a restaurant gig (all Dead tunes) with a duo using just one solo amp, and it was almost just exactly perfect. Just needed a mini mixer in first. Imagine carrying your PA in one hand.
Griz
tiger
tiger

Postby jdsmodulus » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:21 am

Do we have a model number on Bobs current Vox amp?
jdsmodulus

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion