Jerry's Tiger in Sports Illustrated

Chat about Equipment Info

Jerry's Tiger in Sports Illustrated

Postby CoolBreeze » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:36 am

Found this interesting -in the newest issue of Sports Illustrated there's a story about Colt's owner Jim Isray, and it shows him in his office with Jerry's Tiger sitting in an open case. I guess he was one of the "anonymous" buyers from Irwin's auction.

He apparently has a penchant for vintage guitars, and he is the same fellow that bought the original "scroll" manuscript of Kerouac's "On The Road".

Just interesting to see the Tiger in Sports Illustrated-
CoolBreeze
Pigpen
Pigpen

Re: Jerry's Tiger in Sports Illustrated

Postby waldo041 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:37 am

thanks for the heads up in the SI mag.

if you haven't already check this out!

be sure to scroll all the way to the bottom.
http://www.wald-electronics.com/tiger.html

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby caspersvapors » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:23 am

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/200 ... large1.jpg

100k martin, tiger, george harrisons sg
caspersvapors

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:41 pm

caspersvapors wrote:http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2005/12/18/sports/18irsay.large1.jpg

100k martin, tiger, george harrisons sg

Elvis's Martin IIRC.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby CoolBreeze » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:40 pm

Thanks, Waldo- I *KNEW* I had seen that before! And the pic has those same 3 guitars, BUT

In the same pic he also has a double neck Gibson SG- 12 string/6 string. Any idea of that one's pedigree? Jimmy Page's? Eric Clapton's???
CoolBreeze
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby Jon S. » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:17 am

Though it's sorta nice to see a new shot of Tiger, stealing away the Colts with the trucks moving out literally in the early hours of the morning requires a degree of penance from the Irsay family that my Baltimorean friends tell me they cannot imagine and have not (and never expect) to see. The whole thing was handled in as un-Dead-like a manner as imaginable and that is why it hurt when that family's money got Tiger.

In January 1984, a drunk Robert Irsay appeared before the Baltimore media and exclaimed, "This is my Goddamn team!". He reiterated that, despite the problems, the rumors that he was moving the team were untrue. However with negotiations over improvements to Memorial Stadium at an impasse, one of the chambers of the Maryland state legislature passed a law on March 27, 1984 allowing the city of Baltimore to seize the Baltimore Colts under eminent domain, which city and county officials had previously threatened to do. Irsay later claimed the city promised him a new football stadium, something they later denied, citing the team's poor attendance.

The next day, Irsay, fearing a dawn raid on the team's Owings Mills headquarters, quickly accepted a deal offered by the city of Indianapolis, Indiana; Indianapolis Mayor William Hudnut then contacted his good friend, John B. Smith, at that time the CEO of the Mayflower Transit Company, and arranged for fifteen trucks to hurriedly pack the team's property and transport it to Indianapolis in the early hours of the morning of March 29.

Thus, many Baltimore Colts fans awoke the next day and were stunned to learn that they no longer had a football team. Robert Irsay was further excoriated by Colts fans, former players, and the Baltimore press. However, Irsay's attorney, Michael Chernoff, defended his client and what became colloquially known as "The Move."

Wikipedia
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby playingdead » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:43 am

Forbes magazine shot from 2008 ... LOL

playingdead

Postby aiq » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:56 am

I have no great love for rich football team owners (or rich guitar collectors, for that matter) but the idea that the City of Baltimore and the State of Maryland could seize a football team through eminent domain is a bit ugly.

I go to Camden Yards every year, usually to see the Yankees but also to see the O's and Sox; I saw my first Ravens game this fall and had a BLAST! Really fun atmosphere!

If it makes my friends from Balimer feel any better I predict the Saints will take care of the Colts in da Super Bowl.
Last edited by aiq on Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
aiq
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby caspersvapors » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:41 pm

honestly, if I was rich enough to buy one of jerrys well known guitars, Id probably buy it and turn around and give it right back to someone like bob weir or phil
caspersvapors

Postby rob » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:40 pm

Right casper! Or donate it to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame...where I think it should be. The public could enjoy it while, at the same time, it would be properly cared for.
rob
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby bodiddley » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:32 pm

Well, it use to be in the Rock Hall for a while. I'm not sure if this was before or after Richy Rich bought it. I hate the thought of it sittin' around in someone's private studio. Maybe I just feel that way because I'm not the one sitting on a ton of money and can afford to blow a million on a guitar.
bodiddley

Postby jdsmodulus » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:58 am

Honestly, my feelings are right out the window when I see that pic of dude holding Tiger. There is another thread floating around with pics of someone holding/playing this guitar. I myself feel that NO ONE should play this guitar but Garcia. It belongs in a museum type setting plain and simple. :shock:
jdsmodulus

Postby jdsmodulus » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:00 am

playingdead wrote:Forbes magazine shot from 2008 ... LOL

CUSTIE of the decade!!!!!!! :? :lol: :?
jdsmodulus

Postby playingdead » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:30 am

It was auctioned. Irwin needed money and couldn't have possibly kept the guitars in the first place because the taxes he would have to pay on it would be astronomical. The band didn't mind spending thousands and thousands of dollars in legal fees to try to block Irwin from getting all the guitars, which Garcia willed to him, but they didn't want to pay market value, either ... so Irsay bought the Tiger, which he had a right to, just like that other guy bought the Wolf. GD Productions was making millions in merchandising every year at that point, they easily could've bought the guitars. But they chose not to.
playingdead

Postby bcresci » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:52 am

jdsmodulus wrote:It belongs in a museum type setting plain and simple.

I think guitars were made to be played. I'd rather see one person get the enjoyment of playing Tiger rather than having it sit behind glass where nobody can touch it. That's just me, though. If he's done well enough that he can afford to buy those guitars, more power to him.
bcresci
Mickey
Mickey

Next

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion