Brass Bridge

Chat about Equipment Info

Brass Bridge

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:02 am

I found this gibson style bridge for Stu. It's one of the only brass bridges I could find. Looks pretty nice. Chrome plated brass.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/wibrrobrlost.html

Brad
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Re: Brass Bridge

Postby strumminsix » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:02 am

Brad, they have very reasonable prices there. At a price point where somebody could foreseeably buy cheap and start experimenting.
strumminsix

Postby waldo041 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:06 am

was price a factor in your search?

i was just wondering why you didn't just go with a harmonica SG type?

http://www.allparts.com/Chrome-SG-Bridg ... 10-010.htm

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby playingdead » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:01 am

I think because the Wilkinson is actually brass, although it is chromed.

I bought one of those Wilkinsons for my Tiger when I was trying to get the intonation right without moving the bridge physically, but it wouldn't *quite* fit on the posts for the existing bridge.

Which brings to mind ... does a chromed brass bridge have the same sonic characteristics of a true brass bridge? And does it really make much difference? Would brass saddles have the same effect?

I did have Gary install a brass nut on my Tiger.
playingdead

Postby waldo041 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:07 am

jerry changed to the gibson type bridge for it's string spacing not it's material.

for the most part all the electric guitars bridges are some sort of metal. so you most likely won't tell the difference between them. But when all you have played is bone,tusq, or plastic for a nut, you really notice the difference when you move to brass.

good move on having gary install one!

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:26 am

I was under the impression that pretty much all bridges, at least all bass bridges, were brass unless specified otherwise.

I don't see why the chrome would make any difference sonically - in the bass world we use chrome, gold or black hardware interchangeably. I can easily hear a .5 volt drop in my preamp battery and even I think that being concerned about the color of hardware is going too far. :lol:

Good site, though, and great prices! Makes me want to get moving on my project of fixing my old P bass to handle the John Kahn stuff.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:04 am

Waldo,

he almost went for that harmonica SG type because it's like Jerry's Tiger bridge, but he really wanted brass. Regarding the sounds of bridge metals, I know from experience that steel and brass strat or Tele saddles sound quite different. Just a couple of weeks ago I removed my old brass strat saddles (only on the high strings) that I've had for 25 years. The change back to traditional Fender steel was stunning. Much more crisp sparkle in the very top end. Not better or worse, but way more traditional strat sounding. Brass seems to absorb that crispy high stuff and leave you with a real rich and twangy midrange, but no brittleness. Steel has a crisper character. Some people are into titanium and aluminum as well. I think the Gibson bridges tend to be forged pot metal. The SG that we're dropping this brass bridge onto currently has the standard narrow Gibson type. So we'll compare. I think that the 2 main factors with bridges and saddles the mass which would affect dampening and resonance and metal hardness which would mostly affect the upper end of the harmonic spectrum. Brass is soft and heavy. Steel is harder and lighter.

Brad
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby jeffm725 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:30 pm

guitar fetish has been a guilty pleasure of mine for a couple years now, quality stuff at insanely good prices,..........
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby claytushaywood » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:51 pm

waldo041 wrote:jerry changed to the gibson type bridge for it's string spacing not it's material.

for the most part all the electric guitars bridges are some sort of metal. so you most likely won't tell the difference between them. But when all you have played is bone,tusq, or plastic for a nut, you really notice the difference when you move to brass.

good move on having gary install one!

peace,
waldo

looking for brass bridge options and found this. you really think bridge metal doesnt make a difference?
claytushaywood
Billy
Billy

Postby claytushaywood » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:58 pm

also found guitar fetish has new stock for all the brass tune o matic guys!!!

woohoo!

http://store.guitarfetish.com/Gibson-Style-Bridges_c_36.html
claytushaywood
Billy
Billy

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion