Jack of Roses closing down

Jack of Roses closing down

Postby paulinnc » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:00 pm

I just saw this on their site. Jack of Roses will no longer be doing guitar parts. Check it.

http://www.jackofroses.com/Home.html
paulinnc

Re: Jack of Roses closing down

Postby Jon S. » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:29 pm

Sad to learn of this but I think Brian's doing the right thing by admitting it's become too burdensome to maintain and closing now while his excellent reputation is intact instead of ruining it, a la Vintique and Snake Oil Strings, by continuing to take customers' orders and not delivering. Brian is a great guy, I enjoy everything I've bought from him over the years and the conversations we've had in the process and wish him the best.

(Brian, if you're reading this, I'm Jon Silberman.)
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby willmusic » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:35 pm

Seems like a real cool guy and it's totally a respectable decision indeed. It is a drag though cause I sure was looking hard at getting some stuff for my Gator build. Now I have no clue where to go. Suggestions anyone?
willmusic
wolf
wolf

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:09 am

It sure would be cool if someone would see if they could take on the drawings for the brass plates and stickers and parts he's offered, and continue the process, however limited. For people building Jerry-casters (Alligators) and Wolfs and Tigers, the stuff is quite special.

Brad
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:14 am

I'm sorry to hear this. I can see why it would be a huge pain to maintain that kind of business, but he was a great resource. :cry:
Rusty the Scoob

Postby Mandoborg » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:50 am

I've been hand making all the brass parts for my guitars, but i do have cad drawings of some of the stuff, maybe it's time to start dabbling in getting production run cnc quotes. I personally use 1/8 brass as the thinner stuff on Jerry's guitars always looked 'cheap' to my eyes....If anybodies interested in just a couple of pieces for there own guitar, i say DIY. Brass is easy to work with, it's getting expensive, but if you can work with wood, you can work with brass. Get out there and try it, you can do it!

Jim Combra
Mandoborg
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby Capt Rosebuddy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:22 am

Bummer indeed, I bought their Tiger Jack Plate and it's spot on and looks great on my guitar. Just when I was thinking that this kind of gear was recession proof, too bad. Really first rate work although the shipping was a little on the slow side it was worth it in the end.
Capt Rosebuddy
Phil
Phil

Postby milobender » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:52 am

I've been making my own brass stuff too... I don't have CAD/CNC capability, but I'm willing to work with folks on hand-crafted parts. I got a small milling machine last year, and hopefully this winter, will try building my first low-profile bridge.

Brian
Everything we know is wrong...
www.9mileskid.com
milobender
One More Saturday Night
One More Saturday Night

Postby NashvilleMike » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:40 pm

milobender wrote:I've been making my own brass stuff too... I don't have CAD/CNC capability, but I'm willing to work with folks on hand-crafted parts. I got a small milling machine last year, and hopefully this winter, will try building my first low-profile bridge.

Brian

Are the exact mechanical specs available for the brass parts?
It all rolls into one and nothing comes for free
There's nothing you can hold for very long
And when you hear that song come crying like the wind
It seems like all this life was just a dream
NashvilleMike
One More Saturday Night
One More Saturday Night

Postby tapestry » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:58 pm

I am making my own this week. if they come out good and right, i will post the vector drawings for all.
tapestry
Bobby
Bobby

Postby K-Line » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:52 pm

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:It sure would be cool if someone would see if they could take on the drawings for the brass plates and stickers and parts he's offered, and continue the process, however limited. For people building Jerry-casters (Alligators) and Wolfs and Tigers, the stuff is quite special.

Brad

Brad and I were in the process of looking into the Alligator strat when I caught the news. Still thinking about the earlier versions but would love to see someone pickup the slack. Would be really cool!
K-Line
welcome
welcome

Postby milobender » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:42 am

I don't have any of the actual dimensions... I've just been making stuff that works. But I have no problem making things to spec if they are provided. In my estimation, 1/8" brass is overkill. I've been using .055" and it is plenty thick; though I'd use whatever was called for. I suppose I might go a bit thicker if the cavity being covered was really large with no center support... but so far, the .055" has been fine, and keeps from adding any more weight.

Brian

...edit addition... of course, once I have the dimensions for a specific replecated piece, I'll be able to make templates for a cheaper "mass production" on future builds...
Everything we know is wrong...
www.9mileskid.com
milobender
One More Saturday Night
One More Saturday Night

Postby bnalls » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:40 pm

Thanks guys and Hello.
I'm Brian from Jackofroses.com here to discuss the ceasing of brass parts on the website.
It was a tough decision but the whole business of it all is too much when I'm trying to go on tour w/ the band etc. Stickers, we'll do probably do forever. There've been flamers (i think that's the proper word for people who attack) on the message boards and such stating...that it takes forever, and the constant emails... oh man, what a stress reliever to just be over it. I just wanted to build guitars and it was way more fun and gratifying when I was younger, and there was less pressure. Once in a business it took a whole lot of different feelings to me. Gotta get this done, gotta get that...and no fun. I'll continue to build things but at my own pace. Gotta do what makes you happy. :) I hope you all can second that. If it wasn't a one man show it might have worked, and one day might.
Anyway, the website will stay up. It will still be a store. It just hopefully won't have single brass parts. I understand there's a demand and don't want to leave everybody hanging but I also understand that the problem wasn't the customers. It was me. And that's a big problem. I am too busy. I design fliers, promote shows, run sound, build guitars, amps and cabinets, and then I play the show. It's tough to be spread out so thin and the show schedule doesn't wait for anyone, it just comes. The real victim here was the customer, and some, who didn't know me personally, thought they were getting ripped off. So now I had a lack of trust w/ the public and a stressful nightmare, put onto an honest guy. That's not a real great feeling.
Thanks for the support, and it's good to be here finally. Now that I've closed down a bit I may have more time for the forums.
Thanks for listening,
Brian
bnalls
rukind?
rukind?

Postby aiq » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:27 pm

follow your bliss, brother. going down with the ship just gets you dead...and the history books WILL fuck it up.

good luck.
aiq
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby bnalls » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:26 pm

bnalls
rukind?
rukind?

Next

Return to Guitar Building and Mods