The Claw - Jerry's right hand technique

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

The Claw - Jerry's right hand technique

Postby waldo041 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:52 am

any pointers or exercises for jerry's right hand claw technigue. WOW!!! i love the fluid pick transfer at around 5:38-40 on the link below. truly a master with ALL 9 of those fingers!

JGB lay down sally providence 11-19-91

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCRE2b2l ... re=related

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Re: The Claw - Jerry's right hand technique

Postby Pete B. » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:17 am

Looks like he kept up with his right-hand Banjo technique!
Pete B.

Postby rob » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:20 am

Ha! That pick transfer was like slight of hand magician shit! Cool!
rob
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby mijknahs » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:03 pm

I like to tuck the pick between the first joint (from the tip) of my middle finger and the "soft" area between the middle joint and knuckle. I curve my finger inward to hold the pick. It gives me freedom to finger pick and it is easy access to the pick for soloing. It doesn't fall out. Maybe I'll post a video if I get a chance. Fingerpicking definitely sounds better than using a pick on the verses of Peggy-O, Deal, Althea and even Sugar Mag.

Jim
mijknahs

Postby seamones » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:03 pm

waldo041 wrote:any pointers or exercises for jerry's right hand claw technigue. WOW!!! i love the fluid pick transfer at around 5:38-40 on the link below. truly a master with ALL 9 of those fingers!

JGB lay down sally providence 11-19-91
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCRE2b2l ... re=related

peace,
waldo

That is awesome, as much for the smoothness as his expression after he does it.
seamones
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby ronster » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:46 pm

any pointers or exercises for jerry's right hand claw technigue

While Jerry does do some banjo claw hammer shit while bending some notes most of the stuff is straight forward alternating bass line finderpicking. Need to learn that if you are after the Jerry verse backing sound on the tunes previously listed before plus GDTRFB, crazy fingers, sitting in limbo, and many many more. My advise would be to pay for a month at Jormas Breakdown way site and learn as many finger picking tunes as possible. He'll show you all you need to know. I fingerpick most jerry tunes on my acoustic but it is more difficult to get that good sound fingerpciking on an electric so I find my self not doing it nearly as much. As far as tucking away the pick , I put it in my mouth if I'm not going to be singing otherwise I just put it on the nearest flat surface.
ronster
Bobby
Bobby

Postby jackr » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:48 pm

He is so casual about it. It is like some big production when I do it.

Robben Ford and Warrran Haynes are a couple of others that are real pros at the finger pickin' pick switch-a-roo.
On tour '76 - '81
Clean & Sober since '87
jackr

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:59 pm

waldo041 wrote:any pointers or exercises for jerry's right hand claw technigue. WOW!!! i love the fluid pick transfer at around 5:38-40 on the link below. truly a master with ALL 9 of those fingers!

peace,
waldo

That's all 9.5 of those fingers.
There are only two mantras. Yum and yuk. Mine's yum.
Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Postby waldo041 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:05 pm

mijknahs wrote:I like to tuck the pick between the first joint (from the tip) of my middle finger and the "soft" area between the middle joint and knuckle. I curve my finger inward to hold the pick. It gives me freedom to finger pick and it is easy access to the pick for soloing. It doesn't fall out. Maybe I'll post a video if I get a chance. Fingerpicking definitely sounds better than using a pick on the verses of Peggy-O, Deal, Althea and even Sugar Mag.

love to see some lessons on youtube!!!

i tried use my middle finger, but have trained myself to rely on it when fingerpicking. so the claw as jerry does it, which is as i take it is almost identical to how you do it, doesn't work for me. i prefer with the pick in hand to use the pinky like you, but i figured out why i am thrown off when i use the pinky finger. when my pinky is used, my right hand ring finger folds with it and leaves me with a thumb and 2 fingers! that makes it rather uncomfortable. so, i am going to have to teach myself to keep it straight.

ronster wrote:While Jerry does do some banjo claw hammer shit while bending some notes most of the stuff is straight forward alternating bass line finderpicking. Need to learn that if you are after the Jerry verse backing sound on the tunes previously listed before plus GDTRFB, crazy fingers, sitting in limbo, and many many more. My advise would be to pay for a month at Jormas Breakdown way site and learn as many finger picking tunes as possible. He'll show you all you need to know. I fingerpick most jerry tunes on my acoustic but it is more difficult to get that good sound fingerpciking on an electric so I find my self not doing it nearly as much. As far as tucking away the pick , I put it in my mouth if I'm not going to be singing otherwise I just put it on the nearest flat surface.

totally agree, and do finger pick pretty decent without a pick in my hand. thanks for the advice.

have you tried out jerrys high action/setup on an electric yet? it's exactly why he has it set that why. imo, MUCH easier to get good fingerpickin room and tone.

Crazy 9.5 Fingers wrote:That's all 9.5 of those fingers.

funny, even the .5 is used to hold a pick, nothing gets unused, every note possible comes out.. :cool:

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby mijknahs » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:46 am

Hey Waldo,

Here's a quick little video I made this evening that shows my pick hand technique (back and forth between fingers and pick). This is what works for me. I'm never worried that I might lose my pick.

I'm using my electric acoustically.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ohdc7UAcWY

Jim
mijknahs

Postby waldo041 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:35 am

Jim,

you got that claw technique mastered!

that's the ticket! THANKS!

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby jackr » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:02 am

Jim,
Great job and thanks for taking the time to do that. It will definitely help me. Nice playing and nice guitar by the way!
On tour '76 - '81
Clean & Sober since '87
jackr

Postby tigerstrat » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:41 am

I'm seeing the tuck at precisely 4:12, in that video. The Provy Sally has for a very long time been in my very top echelon of 90's JGB! He gets into some very Viola Lee- sounding stuff here.

Jim, yeah, I do the same thing with the 1st knuckle of middle finger... your finger doesn't have to be a stump to utilize this technique! I've trained myself over the years to finger pick only with thumb,index and ring, so the middle works great for holding the pick at the ready.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby mijknahs » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:33 pm

I'm still able to use my middle finger for picking since I hold the pick by curving that finger. As long as the finger stays curved the pick will stay put. I'm basically using my thumb, index, middle and ring finger. A lot of times my pinky will anchor.

Jim
mijknahs

Postby jeffm725 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:37 pm

you ever notice that Jerry NEVER plays the open d chord fully. always, always leaves off the top f# on the high e string.

oh and by the way, that was a fantastic fingerpicking/flatpicking demostration by the poster above. Right on!
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Next

Return to Everything Else