Garcia's Foot Pedals

Chat about Equipment Info

Garcia's Foot Pedals

Postby Capt Rosebuddy » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:47 pm

How did Jerry (in the '80's early '90's) have his foot pedals set up? I have a pretty good idea but I'm curious about what the experts have to say.

What I gather:

Volume Pedal

Cutler Switching Controller
-MuTron
-Octave
-Over Drive
-Phase
-Delay??

Wah

Delay Sweep?
Phase Sweep?

Did he use the ADA foot pedal? Are there Photos of Jerry's Pedals?
Capt Rosebuddy
Phil
Phil

Re: Garcia's Foot Pedals

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:47 am

If you're referring to the Ernie Ball "volume" pedals up there, I'm just gonna guess:

Delay volume

Delay time

Phaser speed

Brad
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:15 am

After experimenting for several gigs with a couple vol pedals wired to the Delay Time and Delay Level leads on my DML-20 pedal, I found the Level foot control to be of very limited usefulness (a little dangerous too!), and I then switched it over to the Delay Regen or Repeats control, which seemed a lot more useful to me. How sure are we that the 2nd delay control wasn't used for Regen rather than Level?
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby waldo041 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:15 am

tigerstrat wrote:How sure are we that the 2nd delay control wasn't used for Regen rather than Level?

We don't! Most go off the missing Knobs. and i have tried the same experiment finding the regen way more useful. The discussion at Yahoo Gearheads has some examples, others have pointed out, where it appears he is using the Mix(level).

On a side note, jerry had a roland FV2 also to the right of the Mic stand in front of him. I believe that was the Phase 100's sweep mod pedal, and the 1 or 2 ernie ball pedals were for the Delay. The Analog Delay was the first to be modded and that's why that guitargeeks site shows the ernie ball pedal. it was not a volume pedal. Jerry's Volume pedal was guitars master volume because all the effects went before it. There would be absolutely no need for it after the guitar.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby jdsmodulus » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:53 am

Very interesting, this is somthing Ive always wondered. Ada is where the pedals come from I always thought making me wonder if I should modify mine! Waldo you could chime in here as the 2fx was once modded, would this be hard to go back to or even worth it?
jdsmodulus

Postby Capt Rosebuddy » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:54 am

So in the days of the ADA unit was it's foot controller in the picture? Secondly and unrelated, but did he use the other features of the ADA or just the Delay?
Capt Rosebuddy
Phil
Phil

Postby jdsmodulus » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:55 am

what he said! :lol:
jdsmodulus

Postby waldo041 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:21 am

Capt Rosebuddy wrote:So in the days of the ADA unit was it's foot controller in the picture? Secondly and unrelated, but did he use the other features of the ADA or just the Delay?

I've not seen the ADA Dm2, 2fx, footcontroller in the RARE floor shots out there. i tried to find this 90's shot with all the midi and whammy pedal in it, to post, but it must be on another computer. The Dm2 footcontroller is not in that one either. Jerry only used the delay portion of the 2FX, so it is suffice to say it was simply left on as they all were. Each was able to be toggled on/off at the rack.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby jdsmodulus » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:33 am

I just saw a pic of Healy at the board with an ADA 2fx in his rack near the bottom, He had the DM2 and it was on! Maybe HE controled some of that later on? I also saw Weir with one and he was using the DM2, This is very interesting to me because I would love to elimanate the DM2 using the GCX ground control but have not been succesful as yet! It would be cool to just have the ground control and an EB Vol! Also it seems at Tinley Park 1990 Jer had the DM2 and the Midigator at the same time!
jdsmodulus

Postby waldo041 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:21 am

for all the Healy heads, i do have a 2FX controller DM2 for sale if anyone is interested. $35 Shipped.

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby jdsmodulus » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:41 am

Healy heads! :lol:
jdsmodulus

Postby High Peaks » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:21 pm

I'm selling my ADA 2fx and foot controller also. Infact, I think they belonged to you at one time Mike!!!
High Peaks

Postby gpilcher2001 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:55 pm

A little behind on this topic if you listen to victim the song is covered in flange. You can hear/see it on one of the vault movies.
good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor.....
gpilcher2001
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby waldo041 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:42 pm

gpilcher2001 wrote:A little behind on this topic if you listen to victim the song is covered in flange. You can hear/see it on one of the vault movies.

i get that Victim tone you hear as a flanger with the Phase 100 at a slow rate, an overdrive pushing it in front, either an hm2 or OD2 with some controllable sustain.

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion