Line 6 - POD XT -- Info please

Line 6 - POD XT -- Info please

Postby HawaiianDedhed » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:46 pm

Casper's post about the Wolf tone reminded me of this.

I have a Line 6 PODxt on loan and am messing around with it. The reviews for it are all real positive. Do you folks know about this thing and if so, any suggestions to get any Jerry tone at all (hell even a Bobby tone will do for now).

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
HawaiianDedhed
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby strumminsix » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:10 pm

Sure, I've got one and love it. Many here will condemn modllers and I'll agree with many that's why I gig with a Mesa but they do have the huge benefit of dialing in tones within a 95% accuracy but lose the tube "feel".

I can dial in either fairly easily:

Jerry: double verb, phaser, tube driver
Bobby: Hiway100, tremolo
strumminsix

Postby HawaiianDedhed » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:05 pm

Thanks for the info.

I am an equipment newb (acoustic straight into PA's for years playing Hawaiian music), so I find all this equipment discussion very interesting when its not over my head.

Thanks again
HawaiianDedhed
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby strumminsix » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:50 pm

HDH, if you like the XT, you should get the XT live, almost the exact same thing but in a floor board! The only differences inside are:
#1 - The bean has line level, balanced outputs
#2 - Teh Live has the FX junky which gives you extra stomps and mods and delays

I used mine to get a better understanding of tones, effects, amps, etc. Before I got it I really only had a few effects, and very limited exposure with amps. Since that I've been playing around alot more with my tone and that's helped me to enjoy playing alot more so I play more!

Let me know if I can help in any way.
strumminsix

Postby HawaiianDedhed » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:44 pm

Yeah, I was thinking that. I figured I would try the regular XT on loan and mess with it before getting the XT Live.

So right about tone. It really makes playing so more enjoyable (and I was already enjoying it immensely).

I'll give a holler, I am sure questions will arise.

Muchos Gracias
HawaiianDedhed
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby steve » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:59 pm

The more I read about the PODxt live, the more I feel the need to purchase it. its pretty insane that on the website you can d/l the sound for particular songs into the memory (i saw garcia for truckin, casey, shakedown). anyway, strummin, saw that you have some real nice things to say about it. has anyone else on here messed around with one or own one? any input would be appreciated as it is quite the pricey pickup
steve
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby HawaiianDedhed » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:26 pm

I was told that it sounds GREAT through headphones, Good through a PA and crappy through any type of amp.

I would agree with the headphones part, do not know about the PA and amps.

makes sense though
HawaiianDedhed
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby steve » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:58 am

i've been reading a lot of reviews on the sound quality when plugged into various devices. for the most part, i've seen good reviews for headphones, pa, and amp. people are saying it takes a bit more work to get a quality sound through an amp or pa though, but it is still attainable with some extra work put in
steve
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby strumminsix » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:03 am

Here are my most honest opinions & thoughts on the XT:

- GREAT for someone who never owned a tube amp
- The FX rocks since most of us never had all those effects at onece
- Works well as just a multi-fx into an amp
- Does take some time setting up patches
- If you run into the board directly you are at the mercy of the soundguy
- You need to setup differnt patches, for different sources and set them at near gig volume level

My suggestion is simple, make 4 great patches and have them ready to go so if you need to do any simple tweaking for a gig, you are only worrying about 4 and can easily tweak them in quickly.

My "go to" patches are based on the Twin and go like this for the bank A-D of patches:

A - Chorus, AutoWah
B - Flanger, Fuzz distortion
C - Phaser, Rat distortion low
D - Tremolo, Rat distortion moderate

This to me is the cat's meow for the device and giging jamband musician.
strumminsix

Postby waldo041 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:14 am

just wanted to let y'all know that the behringer v-amp is comparable to the pod. behringer get's a bad rap for ripping off other companies gear, but for the price they are worth a shot. i do have some expierence with there rackmount version and it was awesome. a bitch to set up, but once you figure it all out, it makes it a ton easier to use.

i am not saying that the v-amp is better then the pod(although some do) i am just saying it is comparable and worth a try at 100 dollars compared to a 300 dollar pod. especially if you just want to test what the digital modelling age has to offer. if you like it, you could alway's move up to the pricier pod, however the v amp as well as the pod both have access to download different parameter's. so they both have the ability to be dialed right in to an individual preference with a little work.

hope this helps.

peace,
waldo

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHVAMP2

http://www.zzounds.com/item--LINPODXT
waldo041

Postby strumminsix » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:07 am

Oh, forgot one thing that he POD does not have:
Global EQ - something to set an EQ accross all patches to dial in rooms and adjust for the feltcher-munson effect on tone and volume.

Waldo, does the V-amp have this?
strumminsix

Postby waldo041 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:46 pm

strumminsix wrote:Oh, forgot one thing that he POD does not have:
Global EQ - something to set an EQ accross all patches to dial in rooms and adjust for the feltcher-munson effect on tone and volume.

Waldo, does the V-amp have this?

from what i remember,

the v amp pro had 5 - speaker/ amp configs for studio and live setup's. within those configurations the v amps 2 - LIVE config's, do have a global 3 band eq.

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby steve » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:40 pm

in my quest to find the perfect addition to my setup, i have come to a crossroads: the line 6 pod xt live, or the digitech gnx4. both seem extremely good, and until i spoke with a friend, the xt live was my choice. does anyone have experience with both or any advice?
steve
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Ender » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:16 pm

Personally most digitech pedals i have played have sounded very fake and allmost toy-like. I've played the processor before and its allright, but i would recommend the pod.

Plus bobby uses a pod in ratdog i think
Ender
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby marc420 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:39 pm

Hi,

Yep, I originally stumbled on line 6 by looking at the link from this site about gear the Grateful Dead uses. Bobby has one of the rack mounted pod's in his set last time I was close enough to look.

If you've got usb-midi cables, you can download tones and transfer them to the pod. Try looking around at this site http://line6.com/customtone/

Although, I got to admit I hadn't been there for awhile. And I thought I'd downloaded some garcia tones in the past for my pod 2.0, but now I can't find them.

But regardless, if you've got the cables (and they ain't too expensive), its fun site to play around on downloading tones and passing them to the pod.

Of course, I'm a computer geek, so when I've got my pod wired to my computer, I like that and the control over the settings I get. With the Pod 2.0, its easier to manipulate some of the more obscure settings. About half the settings on the Pod 2.0 you get to by pushing something and then using the knobs for something different ... but I can never remember how. The computer interface exposes that directly.
marc420
welcome
welcome

Return to Jerry Tone