Template for Tiger or Lightning Bolt

Template for Tiger or Lightning Bolt

Postby USBLUES » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:59 pm

I know i could blow up a picture of Tiger and Lightning bolt to make a template, but is there one available like in Visio to print out so I can trace it on a piece of wood to cut. My problem is without the actual measurments how much would i blow up the pic?
USBLUES
Pigpen
Pigpen

Re: Template for Tiger or Lightning Bolt

Postby waldo041 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:26 pm

all the measurements you need to make a template of the body is on the rosebud page. it may take a little work and math to get it right, but the info is there.

these measurements should help immensely.
overall length
overall width
body waist width
body ear widt.

http://www.wald-electronics.com/rosebud.html

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Mandoborg » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:40 am

Hey Waldo, just wanted to say thanks again for posting all this information. That link posted above has all the information i was going to peck away at you for !! You provide a great resource here for folks that like to build but that don't have access to the actual guitars, we rely on other peoples eyes. One question, the picture of Rosies backside, is that light refraction on the back of the headstock, under the nut area, or did Doug sand through the maple veneer ? I've had that happen and it sucks, but PLEASE tell me it's a photo snafoo, because if that's a sandthrough, well, the other 'faults' discussed in the previous thread would pale by comparison to letting that one out of the shop !!!

U.S. Blues, if you have acess to a good overhead projector, they are becoming dinosaurs, you can scale drawings that way. I traced the best picture i could find of Tiger on a clear sheet protector, then projected that onto the wall and just scaled it until my pickup pole pieces and bridge spacing were where i thought they should be...... You just have to remember to use the finest tip marker when making your transparency because as you increase the size , the line obviously gets fatter thus hindering accuracy.Often wonder just how close the shape i came up with is, but i'm told the points are too sharp on the horns..............still working on it !!

Thanks again Waldo................. Have you ever considered building a guitar yourself ??? Maybe collaborating on one................<hint-hint>

Jim Combra
Mandoborg
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby waldo041 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:20 am

unfortunately no photo snafu! i call it the thumb because thats what it looks like.

no one knows the extent of the damage, some of it does show on the front of the headstock, but this guitars headstock was broke possibly just before the hampton shows if not at the hampton shows 89. that's when, possibly why, he broke out wolf again at this time. i say this because the "thumb" could be from that incident, or it could have always been like that. tigers veneers do not extend that low, so it could be part of the fix.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:22 pm

When I built my bass I used a photo of the WGD body from Warmoth's website as the basis of my template, and blew it up in Photoshop. I then printed that out life-size (it took three sheets of legal-sized paper) and used that to create my original body template.

If I'd thought of it, a computer monitor projector might have been an easier way to go... same concept as the over-head projector but a little easier if you're like me and can't draw worth a damn.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby aoguitars » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:22 am

Yeah that headstock definitely looked like it had been snapped right off at some point. You could see epoxy filler and the seam right across the peghead veneer from the low E tuner to the hi E tuner, as well as two filled holes, which could be pins, dowels or micro-screws or something to that affect to reinforce the joint.

And Mandoburg, I agree I was just as blown away by those two extra veneers that Waldo has wonderfully dubbed the Thumb. It could have been a result of the repaired headstock--if you notice the top maple veneer doesn't match the rest of the maples, for one. However, I don't remember finding a crack through the peghead. It also could just have prepped too deep when originally built, so those two extras were there to get back to the proper thickness.

And US, definitely hit up those dimensions we got on Waldo's page in addition to the overhead projector method and you should be able to get there.
Andrew Olson
AO Guitars
www.aoguitars.com
aoguitars
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby USBLUES » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:51 pm

Thanks for being so generous with the info u guys are awesome!!! and the overhead projector is a clever idea, didn't even think of that one
USBLUES
Pigpen
Pigpen

Return to Guitar Building and Mods