playing like jerry...

playing like jerry...

Postby trking8 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:43 am

...by playing with jerry.

a little tutorial on extracting jerry's solos, and slowing them down so you can play along:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht4kuUBSK4Y

anymore, this is my personal preferred way of learning. enjoy and peace out,

terry
trking8
Billy
Billy

Re: playing like jerry...

Postby rob » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:56 am

That's cool! Thanks!!! 8)
rob
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby waldo041 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:26 pm

i'll help ease the process

http://www.deadlists.com/default.asp

pick your year or click search and find a song and the dates it was played.
waldo041

Postby trking8 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:43 pm

excellent - -thanks, bud. I'll see if I can add the link to the video.

t
trking8
Billy
Billy

Postby GratefulPat » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:00 pm

amazing... i didnt know how darks would tab out solos like that, but this indeed is the way.. i finally figured out my favorite halfstep solo because of this program, thanks man :cool:
Comes a time, when the blind man takes your hand and says "dont you see?"
GratefulPat

Postby trking8 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:42 pm

hey, just the messenger here, but glad to turn people on to jdarks. He's done a hell of a job on the tab.

thanks and peace out,

t
trking8
Billy
Billy

Postby trking8 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:44 pm

clarification: I don't know how jdarks did it, but this program/process is a good way to slow riffs down so you can play along with jdarks' tab.

t
trking8
Billy
Billy

Postby dleonard » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:16 pm

Whatever happened with JDarks? How come no more vids?
dleonard
Bear
Bear

Postby Pete B. » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:06 am

Hey that was a great lesson, Terry.
Thx!
pete b.

dleonard wrote:Whatever happened with JDarks? How come no more vids?

Try this link to JDarks vids:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=JDarks&view=videos
Pete B.

Postby old man down » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:54 am

Sort of the same thing I'm doing with the Jamman.

1/8th input into the headphones outlet on my CD player, the other end into the Jamman, and then the Jamman into the acoustic amp.

When you get the set up finished you set the Jamman for auto record, hit the play button on the CD player, already at the time mark to begin on, and have your foot ready on the stop record on the Jamman. As soon as you've passed the point of interest you hit the stop record and then you have captured the part to learn. Then you save it if you want or immediately go to slowing it down with the tempo tap.

But this method you show is good for getting the archive stuff. Since I still don't own a computer and don't know if I ever will, I'm happy for now with my CD method and the Jamman. But I can still take my work lap top home if need be. I just need a correct input to go between the computer and the Jamman.

On another note, :smile:, I find that I don't like playing along with Jerry and much prefer to listen, stop it, try to duplicate it, relisten, stop it, try again, etc., etc.

Good to see that many of us are going about this stuff similarly, but in our separate ways. What a lot of people don't know about is the countless hours we spend working over riffs, trying to take what we thought we mastered the day before to then take it further today, and finally getting everything seamless. You can't do it in one sitting. You have to come back over the material many, many times, and then do it a few times with a buzz to capture the essence.
old man down
Phil
Phil

Postby trking8 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:01 pm

yeah, learning riffs note by note takes a lot. and you're right, working them into your vocab is a good way to go.

at other times, as a complement, it's catching the lead from the 500 foot level, the specific personality and mood that jerry adopts for the tune, thru his pattern, or his inclination of phrasing. the time will come when people study Birdsong the way they study coltrane's Ornithology.

hell, what do I know. you can either spend time talking or playing it I guess. I'm just grateful to have spent time with him over the years. :smile:

peace out,

t
trking8
Billy
Billy

Postby Pete B. » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:09 pm

I have two cassette units that have "pitch-control" that I've been using for years.
One is a hand-held Sony Walkman cassette am/fm job-ee, the other is a Sony dual-cassette deck.
They obviously don't maintain pitch but have worked great for slowing down Jerry riffs.
:smile:
Pete B.

Postby trking8 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:44 am

yeah, hate to admit it, but I remember when cassettes were the quantum leap in music sharing technology. spending 45 minutes copying my roomate's new Zappa album, making mix tapes, etc....

just found my old tascam 4 track cassette recorder recently; the thing had a great, warm analog sound.

ah, the good old days...

t
trking8
Billy
Billy

Return to Video Instruction