Luthier website/forum?

Luthier website/forum?

Postby Counterstriker » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:34 am

Can someone help me me find a Luthier forum? I have alot of questions about building and I can't find a a website. I've found them on Acoustic guitars but not electric.

Thanks! 8)
Counterstriker

Re: Luthier website/forum?

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:08 am

Tennessee Jedi

Postby Counterstriker » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:36 am

Yea, Those are some cool sites - But maybe someone on this forum knows a little bit about it so I'll ask here:

I plan on building a Neck through guitar.. I know this is pretty advanced stuff and U should with a bolt on but I think with some help, I should be able to pull it off. I have access to bandsaws, tablesaws and all that but only on weekends.

I've been told that gilmer woods is a great website for woods but, I'm doing a neck through so I would need some maple that is at least 45" long, and they don't sell maple that long :?: It's going to be a while until I start this but I'm going to learn everything I can. Any good books?
Counterstriker

Postby waldo041 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:59 am

"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Counterstriker » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:33 pm

thanks for the links!! But I'm still lost.. I can't seem to find wood long enough for the neck.. Bulk lumber would be good but it says it can have some defects.
Counterstriker

Postby Grateful.Ed » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:48 pm

There's a site called thegearpage.net and there are a lot of amateur builders and other luthiers. I've found some good info there in the past and have had some help on a number of technical issues.
Grateful.Ed
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby Counterstriker » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:30 pm

I can't seem to navigate well on that website :lol: . But This is a major question! Since I'm building a neck through I have a question about how you make the body.. You see what I've been thinking is you make a body as if you were making a set neck or bolt on - then you cut the middle portion out where you put the "neck though" part. But all the pictures I see are of people making it with one kind of wood are making 2 seperate sides - I'm making a layered "Hippie sandwhich style. so I can't really do that, or I can but I am trying not to. But if I must I must.

Would making the body then later cutting the middle out work?
Counterstriker

Postby waldo041 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:44 pm

Counterstriker wrote:Would making the body then later cutting the middle out work?

Yes!

in fact, Jerrys Tiger started out as a neck thru. the sandwiched body was made and then the "wings" were cut out to glue to the neck. for some reason it wouldn't work. so, Irwin tried to splice a center portion back in the middle but the seams of both sandwichs did not match so Irwin put the brass in it to cover them.
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Counterstriker » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:15 am

Thank you so much! I ordered the body wood! This is my plan Purpleheart top then maple then A Walnut core then another maple veneer then purple heart again! The wood wasn't that bad it was around 309$ and shipping was reasonably, otherwise it should be here by monday because I'm only a 40 minute drive from there factory.

So the veneer I bought was 1/16 of an inch - it's just to add a little pin stripe look- That's good enough right?
Counterstriker

Postby MAGGOTBRAIN » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:24 am

MAGGOTBRAIN
tiger
tiger

Postby Counterstriker » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:32 pm

Got the design with some great help from Projectguitar - I drew it roughly then they fixed it up!
Counterstriker

Postby ugly rumor » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:57 am

I would highly recommend that you talk to Bob Epstein of Pan-Galactic Sculptures from Longmont, Clorado at www.pangal.com/guitars.htm. He is very nice, builds a fantastic product, and would probably answer any questions you could ever have. Check out his website to see what he does. One day I'll get him to build me a bass, limited only by my ability to pay.

Does anybody need or know of anyone who needs a bass player on the east from say, Albany, New York to albany, Georgia? Call 540-772-2580. Only interested in playing Grateful Dead style music. I can't find anyone close to home, although it is easy to get jobs in Blues, Rock, Country, etc. That's not what I want to play. 35 years experience, free of complicating problems, and serious about the music.

Peace
Gone are the days we stopped to decide where we should go, we just ride...
ugly rumor
Bobby
Bobby

Postby paulinnc » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:10 pm

Counterstriker wrote:thanks for the links!! But I'm still lost.. I can't seem to find wood long enough for the neck.. Bulk lumber would be good but it says it can have some defects.

Check out http://www.soulmateguitars.com Doug built a neck through neck for me that is amazing and he also did some for some other guys. I too am building a wolf style guitar, I am still in the process of lining up parts and design layout. So any help on design/layout would be cool. Where did you get your veneers from? I might need to grab one or two for extra layers in case the wood is too thin after cutting. Good luck with it. Also check out the "Wolf" thread on the equipment page for some pics of what I got.
paulinnc

Postby Counterstriker » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:33 pm

Yup! I already talked to Doug, I got his site through your topic! Already have an Idea, But I must ask, How did you get the Padauk down the middle was that extra? Right now what I'm getting is a Flame Maple, I wanted a padauk laminate but on his site doesn't have it listed. I also might be getting some custom inlays, but I won't get to crazy : P.

Oh and this isn't a wolf guitar - Then again.. It will have alot of things in common with Wolf/Tiger.. But I don't really want to associate them. Ha! The shape was custom but now it's starting to look alot more like Wolf..

Thanks!

Oh and I got my veneers from Exoticwoods.com they are pricey, I didn't know that I had a WoodCrafts in my area so I ordered and and found out I could have got all my wood 100 cheaper..
Counterstriker

Postby paulinnc » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:42 pm

No the laminates were not extra. If you read the fine print, he offers a lot of options at no extra charge. The only problem holding me back is trying to figure out the neck angle.
paulinnc

Next

Return to Guitar Building and Mods