Strippin guitar, question about pickups

Chat about Equipment Info

Strippin guitar, question about pickups

Postby BlobWeird » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:05 pm

I bought some pickups off ebay. Humbucker fat strat and humbucker Bullet and i dont know if they are neck or bridge or middle. Will this matter when i hook it up? like am i gonna fry somethin or is the sound just gonna be messed up>?
BlobWeird

Postby strumminsix » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:31 pm

If you install them correctly, the worst that will happen will be unsatisfactory tone.

Usually, people install a hotter pickup in the bridge since there is less string movement you need something a bit stronger.

If I were you, I'd check the specs and start there.
strumminsix

Postby FretfulDave » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:35 pm

I put classic pickups in my Strat a couple years ago and even though the pickups were pre-wired together, I had to do the volume and tone controls and the five position switch. I got the switch done pretty much backwards. That did not fry anything, but the controls did not work right and the sound was not right. If your pickups are not wired together, then getting the phasing right (I hope that is the right term) is important to get good sound.

Dave
The river keeps a talkin'
FretfulDave
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby BlobWeird » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:49 pm

Well i started workin on it and my biggest problem now seems to be gettin everything to lay right. That of course isnt anything you guys can help with its just gettin everything goin the right way and all that jazz but thanks for the input. And yeah i put the fat strat in the bridge so it should be alright. I think i might just buy a whole new volume/tone pot or whatever you call it
BlobWeird

Postby waldo041 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:05 pm

"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby BlobWeird » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:22 pm

Nice site waldo thanks. Another question Would anyone happen to know where i can buy a whole new pot system for a squier? I guess it wouldnt necessarily have to be for a squier but a strat in general? I know i could buy individual pots but i realllly dont wanna go through the wiring process.
BlobWeird

Postby strumminsix » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:31 pm

Hey! If you need some gear and some direction, talk to Bruce at aamps:
http://www.aampselectricguitarstore.com/

Super nice guy and very helpful.
strumminsix

Rebuild

Postby Stellar Blues » Fri May 18, 2007 9:42 am

I'm currently upgrading a Squier Bronco bass with a
Seymour Duncan vintage rails pickup, to hopefully change that boat anchor into a sweet-sounding instrument.

Just figured out the humbucker wiring for the new volume pot., so I let you all know how it sounds (with new strings) after the surgery is complete.

I'm kind of hoping for a sound that as good as wedding night sex.... :lol:
Stellar Blues
TC
TC

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion