2 X 12 jerry style cabinet ***partial spam***

Re: 2 X 12 jerry style cabinet ***partial spam***

Postby paulinnc » Thu May 28, 2009 12:40 am

Naataanii wrote:can you post a pic of one off the cab? top/side/bottom view?

Read the thread. Mike (Hogan) posted pics all over this one.
paulinnc

Postby strumminsix » Thu May 28, 2009 5:38 am

hogan wrote:The Neo's weigh less also.

In regards to what SS said about the cali's, I still like them, but they are a different speaker. I just did a 2x10 for a guy that went w/ neo 10s and I happenned to have a cab w/ cali 10 in it. I a/b'ed the two using an acoustic image Clarus amp. It was night and day. THe neo's are incredibly sharp, and detailed. It's funny, because that's what a lot of folks say about the Cali. Is one better than the other? Not for me to say. I practice on Cali's but gig thru Neo's if that means anything. I also did a cab for paulinnc from this board that sounded fantastic that was loaded w/ cali 12's.
~MJH

I know - what people say the Cali does is really what the Neo IS!

Yes, the Cali is a good speaker for big clean and flatter eq but I found the Neo's to give me a better sound. But it's part of the design. The Cali is a ceramic magnet while the Neo is a neodymium magnet that was designed to emulate the Alnico of the JBL D120s.

Yes, I've owned both and A/B'd 12"

This issue is similar to pickups: Alnico or Ceramic. Some play nicely with either. I dig alnico's.
strumminsix

Postby jdsmodulus » Thu May 28, 2009 7:02 am

playingdead wrote:The clips work very well on the JBLs, with the large raised lip, but I don't know that they are really one-size-fits-all.

They didn't work at all on my JBL K-110s, which have a flatter lip. Hard Truckers had to machine a new set for me.

From Dozin's site:

"Aluminum speaker holders 1" wide X 2" long X 3/4" thickness. There are 3 steps to the back of them 1/4" 5/8" and 11/16. With the 1/4 inch lip resting on the speaker and the 11/16 in land resting on the wood. Both the 5/8" land and the 1/4" lip are 3/4" long. That means that the 11/16 thick part is 1/2 inch wide."

Just a little info about the clips, There is a BIG difference in speaker rims so one size will not fit E120s and then say a ceramic "off" brand.
jdsmodulus

Postby drew » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:50 pm

Is this what Dozin is saying? The lip looks kind of long, at least compared to the ones in the Hard Truckers photos. Plus, he says 3/4" thick, but after the three steps are taken, there's nothing left that is actually that thick. (Maybe they're starting with 3/4" thick stock?)

And then I would assume there is a stepped hole centered in the middle land? Anyone know what size fastener is used?
Attachments
clip.jpg
Speaker clip dimensions?
clip.jpg (11.08 KiB) Viewed 1853 times
drew
welcome
welcome

Postby playingdead » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:37 pm

The Hard Truckers cabinets come with allen bolts, presumably to seat the bit better and not strip out using a drill to change speakers in a hurry ... not sure the size, but they are big ones.

Here's a closeup:

11/16ths is very close to 3/4 inches ... remember, four out of three people don't understand fractions.
playingdead

Postby waldo041 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:05 pm

drew wrote:Is this what Dozin is saying? The lip looks kind of long, at least compared to the ones in the Hard Truckers photos. Plus, he says 3/4" thick, but after the three steps are taken, there's nothing left that is actually that thick. (Maybe they're starting with 3/4" thick stock?)

And then I would assume there is a stepped hole centered in the middle land? Anyone know what size fastener is used?

3/4" thick would not fit a JBL K or E series speaker.

also, The NEW Hard Truckers clips stepped center is a much smaller hole then the originals.

peace,
waldo
Last edited by waldo041 on Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Emoto » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:52 am

If one is not concerned about exactly matching what Jerry had (haha) then a phone call to JBL Pro will get you a person who will send you the clips, bolts, and nuts, that JBL says meet the specs of the application. You'll have to tell them which speaker model, how thick the wood is, front or back mount, etc., but then they will hook you up, and you will know that what you get will do the job.
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Postby deadguise » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:45 pm

four out of three people don't understand fractions.

...or ratios...

for what's it worth the frame (or lip thickness) of a JBL E-120 is 1/2" thick and the cork gasket that's glued to it is 3/16"
deadguise

Postby Naataanii » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:17 pm

what are a set of 4 clips going for these days?
Hey, hey, come right away. Come and join the party everyday!
Naataanii
Brent
Brent

Postby hogan » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:08 am

1/4" #20 button head bolts.

The edge of a E-120 is 5/8", If not 5/8" heavy. That is including the cork.
The New hardtrucker clips do not sit flat on the baffle. The little 1/8" step is a fulcrum.

~MJH
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby Emoto » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:17 am

This is the current offering from JBL Pro. The pic was taken to show cabinet joinery, so the clamp is not centered...

Emoto

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:26 am

Naataanii wrote:what are a set of 4 clips going for these days?

http://www.jackofroses.com/Speaker_Cabinets_1.html
:D
Tennessee Jedi

Postby playingdead » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:31 am

That's pretty pricey; I had a dozen of them made by a local machinist for $50 before I bought the HT cabinets with the newer clips.

Bob, how much did JBL charge?
playingdead

Postby Emoto » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:49 am

playingdead wrote:That's pretty pricey; I had a dozen of them made by a local machinist for $50 before I bought the HT cabinets with the newer clips.

Bob, how much did JBL charge?

Boy, I just can't recall. Maybe $2 or $3 each? I bought the clamps, bolts, and the nuts that have little points that dig into the wood so they don't spin.

For reference, the ones they sold me are P/N 60958 and JBL Pro can be reached at 818-894-8850. I believe when I called them, she had to go look up what I needed and then call me back.
Emoto

Postby paulinnc » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:44 pm

So, do the clips effect the sound of the cabinets in any way?
paulinnc

PreviousNext

Return to Cabinets