Build an Effects Rig (advice requested)

Build an Effects Rig (advice requested)

Postby brutusbuck45 » Thu May 14, 2009 11:37 am

Hey y'all...

I 've been around the board for awhile and read alot of threads regarding essentials to building a rig/effects chain. I have been using modelling software and I have an M-Audio Black Box (which is based on the Roger Linn AdrenaLinn hardware). With these types of devices you can build just about any effect chain your imagination can come up with. While I have had fun with them, I was considering putting together a 'real' rig. The modelled tones are good- not great. I was hoping that I could get some input from the experts about where to start.

I am working within a tight budget so $$$ is an issue... about $125 or so. I was likely going to look to eBay or Craiglist to save some dough as well. So my question is: If you were putting together a rig from scratch (on a budget), where would you start? For that GD tone, I would think Distortion, Envelope/Auto Wah, and Delay would be essentials to start. I have already begun combing eBay for availablity and prices. There seem to quite a few Q-Trons out there. Boss stomp boxes are in abundance, as well.

I will say that I do have a very good amp. Its a Rivera-era Fender Super 60 tube combo (single 12"). It has a very warm OverDrive channel and can really scream too. The spring reverb is very lively, as well.

So, any advice from the GD/JGar sound experts would be most welcome and appreciated!

Thanks!

~BB45
Last edited by brutusbuck45 on Thu May 14, 2009 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brutusbuck45
Phil
Phil

Re: Build an Effects Rig (advice requested)

Postby tigerstrat » Thu May 14, 2009 12:05 pm

Great amp, the red knobber Super 60. "On a budget" is VERY subjective... might have to give us a better idea of what that budget is.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby brutusbuck45 » Thu May 14, 2009 12:38 pm

tigerstrat wrote:Great amp, the red knobber Super 60. "On a budget" is VERY subjective... might have to give us a better idea of what that budget is.

Hey there... TS

Yea, the red knobber. It was a straight trade back in '90. I got the better end of that deal (I think). I gave up a Peavey solid state with an Electro Voice 12". My buddies nicknamed it the Pea - EV. The magnet was so big it cleared the back of the cabinet by a full four inches. : ) Was loud but didn't sound great. The Fender was just what I wanted- bright, warm, punchy. I was doing a blues thing and the Overdrive was so good, I never put any effects out front. Didn't need to.

Well, I have $125 stashed away for a "rainy day". But having looked back at eBay at current bids on some Dist and Env... I will probably say that I can go as high as $175 for some 'base' effects- two or three I suppose.
brutusbuck45
Phil
Phil

Postby Emoto » Thu May 14, 2009 12:42 pm

One thing you can do is check with the big mail order outlets and ask if they have a factory seconds or scratch & dent of anything you might be interested in. I've saved a lot of money that way.
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Postby brutusbuck45 » Thu May 14, 2009 1:00 pm

Emoto wrote:One thing you can do is check with the big mail order outlets and ask if they have a factory seconds or scratch & dent of anything you might be interested in. I've saved a lot of money that way.

Thanks, emoto... good idea. I have looked at MusiciansFriend.com and GuitarCenter.com. Good places to keep an eye on. Do you have an opinion on which types of effects would be best foundation to build? Distortion?

Thanks.
brutusbuck45
Phil
Phil

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Thu May 14, 2009 1:09 pm

If you are looking to do Jerry ,a Qtron might be a good place to start .......
There is a " GD GEAR FOR SALE " link to the left of the screen .... lots of good ideas for gear there.
Peace
:smile:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby Emoto » Thu May 14, 2009 1:13 pm

brutusbuck45 wrote:
Emoto wrote:One thing you can do is check with the big mail order outlets and ask if they have a factory seconds or scratch & dent of anything you might be interested in. I've saved a lot of money that way.

Thanks, emoto... good idea. I have looked at MusiciansFriend.com and GuitarCenter.com. Good places to keep an eye on. Do you have an opinion on which types of effects would be best foundation to build? Distortion?

Thanks.

Sometimes it helps to be on the phone with them and ask. I think the operators can see stuff that isn't on their web site, but am not certain.

As to what to choose, check out the grateful dead equipment forum. There are lots of good threads in there about which effects units people like and why. It kind of depends on what sound you're going for.
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Return to The Think Tank