D. Irwin 4-string bass ref:Tom Lieber ,P. Saam

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: D. Irwin 4-string bass ref:Tom Lieber ,P. Saam

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:16 pm

waldo041 wrote: who owns it now?

he said he sold it to Michael Shrieve, the Santana drummer who takes that off-the-hook solo in the Woodstock movie. 2nd time I saw Santana,in 1989 he did a 20th anniv reunion tour of the Woodstock-era band.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby philsaam » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:58 pm

dear friends -Waldo & Ramblinroseband---Waldo you asked if the Rick bass recieved Dougs trademark logo ----no ----just a tasteful rectangular M.O.P. inlayed piece with Rickenbacker engraved in it ------I sold the bass to Michael Shrieve -formerly percussion /drums with Carlos Santana---I havent been in touch with Mike for quite a long time , you could try to email mike -he teaches percussion somewhere back east --chicago area --I am guessing ---Mike is a great guy --wish he was here -----speaking of bass ---I also had a Ibanez flying V bass ---Doug modified it by installing two Guild Bass PUs --hot-rodded with extra magnet material --both PUs plus a hot Bartollini mounted at the bridge --stereo wiried ----gold finish over bass body --black faced peghead ---21 frets -long scale---34" ---this was a crazy axe ---I sold it through Stars Guitars -then at 60 Brady st ---sf----all I needed was my Irwin ---everything else I owned was obsoleeeettaaah -inferior--unkjay---debris louie----however , about 2 yrs ago Doug called me out of the blue and asked if I still had it ----maybe I should have kept it ----sometimes I fear taking my 4-string out --when I go and sit-in with a band here and there---fun is fun but my 4-string is my heart and soul ----its not a replaceable article to me , ever , period ! --I like to think that I have a little in common with the late great one --and proud of that especially ---something I have kept as a silent testament inside my head for personal reasons --I share with you that understand ----------Doug loved his miller beer --camel non filtered smokes ---and a good BUD --hope that isnt gettin too personal ---we also told each other lots of jokes ---no chuckles just ----yuks the Irwin laugh---yuk-yuk yuk yuk --its good to share this with you guys ---------ta ta---until next visit ------love ya -------------phil
philsaam
Brent
Brent

Postby philsaam » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:00 pm

hello tigerstrat,ramblinroseband , Waldo , the Rick bass did not get Dougs trademark logo --and as far as I know ---Michael Shrieve bought the bass back in 77/78 ---Stars Guitars brokered the sale for me ---mike may still have it ----my Irwin is just the finest bass --I really feel limited by anything other than my bass ---fit -feel -sound ---we are like one and the same --I play what I think -hear the sound as a thought form -its etherial ---yet its tangible ---my bass is only limited by my abilities , I should say limited by my facility to execute the instruments potential in every sonic event .. harmonically, melodically , ---------boom ,----that too -the unexpected inspiration to try something new ---while keepin time in the "pocket" ----thanks again for the honor in these few shared moments -----love ya phil
philsaam
Brent
Brent

Postby philsaam » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:19 pm

Hopefully I will have some new pics of my 4-string up on this site page by tomorrow -sunday March the 8th --thats the plan ..I am a bit dependent these days----UPDATE______________-I had -and did get pics taken with help from neighbor -however hes been down with the flu -his whole got sick-and until this promise is kept <Ican only say sorry for having to wait --I am more than a bit challenged by forces beyond my control at the moment ---I will post pics as promised of my bass for all of you to enjoy -since you love Jerrys axe so much -I bet you will love mine for its intrinsic value---since they are related ---the convergence of functionallity -form -art---sound ---I am sorry for making you wait so long -----update message date 04/07----respectfully ---philsaam
Last edited by philsaam on Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
philsaam
Brent
Brent

Postby Thomas Lieber » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:08 pm

Phil and gang, I found a few copies of original subject matter relating to masterful inlays executed by Doug. One of them everyone will recognize. This is the complete drawing from which that particular inlay was taken. The other one is a very special one that presently only Phil will recognize.

best,
Thomas
Thomas Lieber
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby philsaam » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:49 am

walter crane ---------Tom Lieber /Doug Irwin ---1974 --it was a rennaisance wasnt it ----just had to delete my previous 2 edits of this post -to eliminate the personal stuff I inadvertantly started to leak -my inner child is suffering a little too much -the effects of time -how it does consume each of us so relentlessly--in times soon to come ,my bass will be in the publics domain ----its an honor to try to describe the instrument for whatever historical relivance it may posses-[the real power that it has - it---IS ---the key that unlocks the spirit my spirit / yours giving the flesh access to the sounds of our souls highest spiritual desires ------hey --just a bass player --doing time playing time --waiting ----there is a peak point to every tune -as in life - ---Tom thankyou for your continued friendship ------thankyou RUKIND for this gift you have provided --this forum -honored to be a part there of - phil
philsaam
Brent
Brent

Postby philsaam » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:26 am

hello again -I have good news -Tom Lieber is going to be stopping by to visit this week and I believe he will help me get photos posted for all to see ---I think this will be done by saturday at the latest -I expect to see him any time from today -tues-or wednesday on thanks for being patient ----
philsaam
Brent
Brent

Postby strumminsix » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:34 am

Very cool!
strumminsix

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:43 am

Awesome! Updated and detailed photos would be much appreciated! Your bass is a work of art!
Rusty the Scoob

Postby Thomas Lieber » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:18 am

I am visiting with Phil this week and will get a few pics taken and posted over the next week or so.

best,

Thomas
Thomas Lieber
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby philsaam » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:26 am

Thankyou Rusty ---I am doing it for guys like you --Thankyou and glad to do it for ya BRO --it is an honor for me to have your attention and recieve from you the appreciation that you give --hope to satisfy any and all interests in the bass Doug and Tom worked to build for me back in years from 1974-to 1976 -----------I have purposely not displayed my bass to the public for simply that the bass does have a personal sentiment and since there is a tremendous interest in Doug Irwins work I feel a bit uncomfortable due to the unexpected possibilities of ---------you all know of missing instruments --the fact is my bass is a D. Irwin original -and merits the obvious physical attributes -but the instrument is as well a sound -a bass sound that is of the Genius of Ron Wickersham and you may say is of Alembic --I wanted the best sound from my bass that was possible and Ron Wickersham personally made that a reality when he installed the Alembic standard guitar harness with a pair of handmade pickups----powered by an Input Module power supply -through a F-2B ---to a Mc Intosh amp ------what I play is what I like to hear---hope you like the pictures -I guess its time to go a bit public --
Last edited by philsaam on Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
philsaam
Brent
Brent

Postby Thomas Lieber » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:09 pm

I had a great visit today with good friend Phil Saam. I have two pictures of a series taken today of Phils "KOA D.Irwin Garcia Bass"
Thomas Lieber
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby strumminsix » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:13 am

Thanks, Tom! Wow, that is a great looking bass! I love how it has that true well loved look but still in great shape! It's something you only see from great musicians with great appreciation for their gear!!!

Okay, questions, 5 knobs?! Bridge pup tone & volume + neck tone & volume + pickup blender pot with center detent?
strumminsix

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:32 am

strumminsix wrote:Thanks, Tom! Wow, that is a great looking bass! I love how it has that true well loved look but still in great shape! It's something you only see from great musicians with great appreciation for their gear!!!

Okay, questions, 5 knobs?! Bridge pup tone & volume + neck tone & volume + pickup blender pot with center detent?

You're thinking like a guitar player!

I'm going to guess either: Master Vol, Pickup Blend, Master Tone, and Treble & Bass

or: Master Vol, Pickup Blend, Master Tone, and Q filters?

Whatever the knobs are, that is one awesome bass! Looks like it's 34" scale like a Fender?
Rusty the Scoob

Postby strumminsix » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:55 am

Rusty the Scoob wrote:
strumminsix wrote:Thanks, Tom! Wow, that is a great looking bass! I love how it has that true well loved look but still in great shape! It's something you only see from great musicians with great appreciation for their gear!!!

You're thinking like a guitar player!

I'm going to guess either: Master Vol, Pickup Blend, Master Tone, and Treble & Bass

or: Master Vol, Pickup Blend, Master Tone, and Q filters?

Whatever the knobs are, that is one awesome bass! Looks like it's 34" scale like a Fender?

Well of course, I do that's been my main gig for 15 years! But I did play bass in a rock band sometime around 99 and here and there along the way. One of the ones I played was setup like I described! But the tone wasn't guitar tone pot. It was actually a high-cut/low-cut center detent pot.
strumminsix

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion